I don't get it

Road Runner
Go to solution Solved by Road Runner,

When Matt says, "What is Gehrig?", why doesn't the host say, "We need the proper question format."  Saying "What" when referring to a person is incorrect.  It implies that the question is referring to a thing and not to a person.

If a contestant replies to a clue without it being in the form of a question, they always correct or ask the contestant to put their reply in the form of a question.  Likewise, they should require that a contestant use correct form and if he refuses, they should count his reply as wrong.  If he can say "What" instead of "Who", is it also okay if he leaves out the word "is"?  So would they accept, "What Gehrig?"     :wacko: :angry:

• Heart 1

Apparently the 'rules' for Jeopardy! do explain the response has to be in the form of a question.  But.. the rules don't explain 'proper' grammar needs to be used when responding.  

I'll guess Matt decided to use 'what' for all of his verbal responses, then he doesn't need to be concerned about proper grammar.  If I recall, Matt does use proper grammar in the final written response. 

So.... after 26 games... I don't think the producers will stop Matt from being annoying.   

https://ew.com/tv/jeopardy-clarifies-its-rules-matt-amodio-what-is-annoying/

1 hour ago, Bikeguy said:

Apparently the 'rules' for Jeopardy! do explain the response has to be in the form of a question.  But.. the rules don't explain 'proper' grammar needs to be used when responding.  

I'll guess Matt decided to use 'what' for all of his verbal responses, then he doesn't need to be concerned about proper grammar.  If I recall, Matt does use proper grammar in the final written response. 

So.... after 26 games... I don't think the producers will stop Matt from being annoying.   

https://ew.com/tv/jeopardy-clarifies-its-rules-matt-amodio-what-is-annoying/

So it would be okay if he replied, "Where is Gehrig"?  That would also be in the form of a question.  If he isn't breaking the rules because all is required is a question, then I think the rules need to be changed to require the question to be somewhat grammatically correct.  I don't think that is asking too much of the supposedly know-it-all Jeopardy contestants.  Surely they, including Matt, know the difference between "what", "who" and "where".

5 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

When I shout out the answers at home, I don't bother with the question format. Maybe I should develop the habit in the unlikely  unpossible  event I ever get to be on the show.

Maybe that is the correct answer.  If it is okay for the question itself to be senseless, then just get rid of the question format all together.  :)

"Lou Gehrig!"   :D

The contestants are probably nervous enough and, knowing they have to phrase their answer as a question, sometimes begin with "What..." before the rest of the question has fully-formed in their minds.  Apparently, the wisdom of the rule-makers allows for that.

Note that they also get away with "Who is..." or "What is..." for people or things that no longer exist where grammatically correct is "Who was..." or "What was..."

So "What was Julius Caesar?" is no more wrong than "Who is Julius Caesar?"