Videos now start playing on their own?

Ralphie

19 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Are that twat videos or toc tac toe?  YouTube do not do that.  I think the others depend on how the person posts them.

Oddly, twittle videos do not show up for me, maybe because I am not a twatter?

It is YouTube videos. When I am reading a thread with one in it, it will just start playing.  That should not be. It definitely happens on iPhone safari, and I think it also does on desktop Firefox but I’ll have to verify that later. 

4 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

It is YouTube videos. When I am reading a thread with one in it, it will just start playing.  That should not be. It definitely happens on iPhone safari, and I think it also does on desktop Firefox but I’ll have to verify that later. 

Odd, phone setting?

I usually just past the URL, the other option is to use the YouTube share option which gives you this window.  There isn't an AutoStart option though.

This doesn't happen to me here.

download.png

Maybe.  Owl experiment a little more.  It is also odd that they show up with the progress bar in the middle.  Owl see if I can get a screenshot of that. 
Nope, I can’t find an example now.  So I guess the most likely answer is I must be touching the videos as I scroll with the touch screen, but I could swear I’ve seen quite a few that show the progress bar at halfway through. Sorry-never mind for now. I’ll let you know if I see it again. 

6 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

Maybe.  Owl experiment a little more.  It is also odd that they show up with the progress bar in the middle.  Owl see if I can get a screenshot of that. 
Nope, I can’t find an example now.  So I guess the most likely answer is I must be touching the videos as I scroll with the touch screen, but I could swear I’ve seen quite a few that show the progress bar at halfway through. Sorry-never mind for now. I’ll let you know if I see it again. 

No, you’re not starting them, they start on their own. I woke up my wife this morning scrolling through this forum and having a video start, she wasn’t happy. I just had to listen to a Moody Blues video without touching anything, now I’m not happy.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Did you find a way to prevent them from starting? Or having them be mute unless you unmute them? Having to unmute is the default YouTube setting for me on their app, but here the videos a) start playing and b) full sound.

There is a way to have them autoplay, only I can do that as it requires being able to post HTML.  I tested it, the forum software stripped out the autoplay code.  I am not able to force autoplay here.

I suspect it's like Facebook where every now and then they change your settings and force autoplay.

Lots of info out there on turning it off.

https://lmgtfy.app/?q=stop+video+autoplay+iphone 

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

There is a way to have them autoplay, only I can do that as it requires being able to post HTML.  I tested it, the forum software stripped out the autoplay code.  I am not able to force autoplay here.

I suspect it's like Facebook where every now and then they change your settings and force autoplay.

Lots of info out there on turning it off.

https://lmgtfy.app/?q=stop+video+autoplay+iphone 

Thanks!  I turned off auto preview per the first hit so owl let you know how it works. 

• Heart 1

On 10/7/2021 at 8:58 AM, Philander Seabury said:

Thanks!  I turned off auto preview per the first hit so owl let you know how it works. 

I don’t really know if turning off the auto preview did anything, but it does now appear that since it is now off, I must be inadvertently touching the videos as I scroll down through a thread. It does seem more sensitive lately than it used to, but if I am careful to avoid touching them they don’t auto play now. @Prophet Zacharia