Sometimes I think maybe I should check the news.

Longjohn

24 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

A friend from church just called me to see if I was ok. He doesn’t have any power and he saw a tornado went through a few miles from me yesterday. I knew we had fierce wind when I was out on my bike. I saw probably forty trees down along the bike trail but someone had already used equipment and drug them most of the way off the trail. There were a couple trees that fell across the trail but were stopped from falling on the trail by trees on the other side of the trail. They looked precarious but I had room to get under them. The tornado took out a restaurant and a place that builds overhead doors. Esther’s big flat screen tv just sits there like a useless decoration because I sent the satellite box back.

That happened to me  a few yrs. back where I jumped onto my bike without checking the weather first.

The winds were over 70 km/hr.  I had to get off my bike in the headwind....  Later I found out some construction material fell from one of the office towers, huge tree branches broken off.... It was a major windstorm..even though I saw people biking along..  No, they were not a good guage.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 2

I had to get off my bike in the headwind....

When I was riding across the causeway the wind was mostly in my face but a few gusts tried to blow me off the bridge. I was glad to get back in the woods but the number of downed trees was concerning. I think I made a good decision to only do one lap around the lake.

• Heart 3
  • Hugs 1

5 hours ago, Longjohn said:

a tornado went through a few miles from me yesterday.

You just need a weather app on your phone that gives you alerts for bad weather.   If you don't want that... 

Several years ago I purchsed an Elton weather radio.   It alerts when NOAA sends warnings/watches.   Has a flashlight, can use solar to charge it's battery, or a hand crank to charge the battery or charge a cell phone (which would be a pain in the ass to do).

You don't want to survive heart attacks, only to be swept away in a tornado like the Wicked Witch of the West was in the Wizard of Oz.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Didn’t you get a warning on your phone aboot the tornado or severe thunderstorm?  They are usually pretty free with those.  :scratchhead:

Hide contents

I used to get them on my phone all the time including the missing persons warnings. They were annoying so I shut them off.

7 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Mine have gotten a lot better lately.  I haven’t seen an amber alert in a while. 

Most of the amber alerts were non custodial parents that failed to return the kid when they were supposed to. Police track them down within 24 hour. Why do I have to hear this? Amber alerts also came in on old phones that were not on a data plan. Esther kept a bunch of old phones charged up so the grandkids could play games on them and take pictures. Amber alerts would come in on all those too.

19 hours ago, Longjohn said:

A friend from church just called me to see if I was ok. He doesn’t have any power and he saw a tornado went through a few miles from me yesterday. I knew we had fierce wind when I was out on my bike. I saw probably forty trees down along the bike trail but someone had already used equipment and drug them most of the way off the trail. There were a couple trees that fell across the trail but were stopped from falling on the trail by trees on the other side of the trail. They looked precarious but I had room to get under them. The tornado took out a restaurant and a place that builds overhead doors. Esther’s big flat screen tv just sits there like a useless decoration because I sent the satellite box back.

I spent a lot of time on downed trees.  When I coached the cross country team at the high school where I taught, I had a three-mile cross country course for our home meets where only the first 1/2 mile and last 1/2 mile were on the campus outside of the woods bordering the school grounds.

When we'd have a high wind storm, I spent a lot of time with a chain saw back in the woods and there were a couple times when a very tall, two-foot diameter tree fell down on or fell against another tree over the course and I had to clear another path through the woods around them.

By the way, back when the "D.C. Sniper Attacks" were randomly killing people in D.C. and Maryland in 2002, I was fortunate to have a county police officer present at all practices - where I kept the kids out of the woods - and a squad of officers stationed where roads and parking lots approached the woods when I hosted a multi-school meet with hundreds of teenagers running.  I made it a point to spray every tree root extending onto the course with temporary, non-toxic-to-trees, orange fluorescent paint and warned the runners not to elbow runners from other schools into trees where the course turned - as some runners do - because we didn't want anyone downed and unaccounted for at the finish line in a reasonable time.

• Heart 1