The very first LP I owned and my favourite song from it.

Wilbur

13 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

How about yours,  music buffs?

You remember your first album???    I still have all of my albums..  I have NO idea what was my fist album.

My favorite song...      this version of the song...   I love the intro, and how the audience didn't know what it was.. for a while.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

First album* I bought was Business As Usual by Men At Work. Favorite song on it is probably "Underground". It's not a legendary album but I think it's still pretty solid.

Actually I think I remember the first 6 albums I bought, in order. Surely this is brain power that could have been used for a higher purpose. 

*it was a cassette, not a record

• Heart 1

I remember that there was a large (11 floors) department store in Hartford that had listening rooms in the record department.  You could actually listen to an album before buying to decide whether or not you wanted it.  Of course that didn't last long because people weren't very careful with the turntables and vinyl.

I hadn't seen that again till Borders in Orlando when I discovered that they had earphone jacks on most of the cd displays and controls that would allow you to listen to everything on the display shelves.  Borders then became a weekend morning stop for coffee, pastry and music browsing.

• Heart 1

18 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I remember that there was a large (11 floors) department store in Hartford that had listening rooms in the record department.  You could actually listen to an album before buying to decide whether or not you wanted it.  Of course that didn't last long because people weren't very careful with the turntables and vinyl.

When I was just a single digit kid, my Dad took me to my first ever record shop (around 1956, I think).  They had booths for listening.  People still bought 78's in those days.  The record shop would sell you previously played records for half-price.  I bought a couple used Little Richard records.  Later on in 57 or 58, I took those records to school to play when my 4th grade class had an introduction to one-on-one dancing.  I was a hero.     

• Heart 1

14 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

When I was just a single digit kid, my Dad took me to my first ever record shop (around 1956, I think).  They had booths for listening.  People still bought 78's in those days.  The record shop would sell you previously played records for half-price.  I bought a couple used Little Richard records.  Later on in 57 or 58, I took those records to school to play when my 4th grade class had an introduction to one-on-one dancing.  I was a hero.     

Did they play well on hand crank gramophones? 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Nobody asked you to rate them, just what lps you bought.

I can't remember.  I had two older sisters 4-6 years older than me so I got exposed to all the good stuff as a 12 year old.  I honestly cannot remember what the first one was that I ever purchased.  And yet somehow my life has carried on...

1 minute ago, Dottles said:

I can't remember.  I had two older sisters 4-6 years older than me so I got exposed to all the good stuff as a 12 year old.  I honestly cannot remember what the first one was that I ever purchased.  And yet somehow my life has carried on...

Funny, as I don't even try to remember stuff like that.

• Heart 1