So do you have a “worry stack”?

Ralphie
Go to solution Solved by Bikeguy,

2 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

As a certified OCD'er, worry is my middle name.  Yesterday, I turned a 30 min job in my yard into a 4 hour extravaganza.  It does look good, though.

This is the main thing I look forward to in retaarment. Setting my  own pace. Glacial it is! :D

Excwpt now even the darn glaciers are in the rats race with melting and all. Wah wah. :(

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Philander Seabury said:

Sure your do!  One is on top for a while, until it goes away and a new one comes in. So it is nominally a LIFO stack. Last in, first out. 

Ok I guess I do, probably 2 or maybe 5

Ya got the constant worries, like retirement and medical care

Ya got the big picture stuff, like the state of the world, that you can only watch from afar

And then you got the rotating issues, like the rust on the Elements bottom

And then niggling running score of minor shit "do I have my wallet'  "is my fly zipped"   "do I have booger hanging out of my nose"

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

It was a worthwhile talent during software design.

Yeah... when I wrote Excel macros for various tasks at work.  I'd have to consider,  'What could Nate do to this?  What could he possibly do to blow up this spreadsheet?'   I'd have to include data validation and/or error traps.  But... I didn't worry about it..  I just assume the worst could happen.  And it usually did... 

My late cousin Barbara, one of us twenty grandchildren of Joseph and Martha Griscavage, used to call it the "Griscavage Guilt Complex."

We were raised with absolutes like, "Don't make shame for the Polish people," etc. and always worried we didn't do something as well as we should have and worried about things we had no control over.  Some in that group, more than others outside it, asked me how I managed to cope with the hassles associated with getting my house rebuilt, saying it would have driven them crazy with worry.

But there may be a silver lining here.  Maybe that's what drove us, a coal miner's grandkids with up-to high school grad, Depression-raised parents, to accomplish so much compared to those we grew up with who didn't climb as far out of poor backgrounds: two who became Vice Presidents of IBM and Sandoz Pharmaceuticals, a Mayor of a small town in NJ, a Dow Chemical subsidiary's Chief Research Chemist, the U.S. representative in a NATO arms development commission, the Bone Marrow Transplant Coordinator at Johns Hopkins Hospital, two high school physics teachers, an elementary school teacher, and most of the others in some management-level jobs or owning small businesses.