Cowboy Boots or Uggs?

Razors Edge
Go to solution Solved by Kirby,

Assuming you can only have one pair of either cowboy boots or Uggs, which is the better choice?

Obviously, Uggs are generally uggly, but they definitely seem way more popular in the non-yucky parts of the world.  On the other hand, for the few folks who actually SHOULD wear a cowboy boot, they are pretty darn good at their job. 

So, where do you think things really line up?  Is simply letting popularity and people's wallets decide enough to push Uggs up and beyond the more limited in scope, but durable in nature cowboy boot?

7 minutes ago, donkpow said:

I never really like what most people call "cowboy boots", big heel, pointy toe.

Cartwright-Mens-Calfskin-Cowboy-Bourbon-Profile-Gallery_grande.jpg?v=1624925216

I much prefer the rounded toe short heel work boot.

2000208898_280_P1.JPG?sw=980&sh=980&sm=fit

I don't use stirrups or spurs most days.

Riding boots vs ropers.   

Here is my daily boot.  Western square toe

10010938_3-4_front.jpg?sw=800&sh=800

Rubber sole for comfort and walkability

10010938_sole.jpg?sw=800&sh=800

• Heart 1

I guess if I had to pick between the two I’d go with Uggs but I have never worn either.

Uggs were a thing in the SoCal surf culture 25+ years ago. Guys coming out of the water would put on a hoodie & Uggs with board shorts.  Sometime later Uggs became a chick thing and guys rarely wear them. 

• Thank You 1

I say this in jest, but with a bit of reality thrown in. I wonder what type of selection you easterners have for western boots? I know, I know, you have the web at your disposal. Back in the late 60s, I had to purchase my boots in western South Dakota, as no western boots in size seven were to be found east of the Missouri River. Heck, in the late 60s, taco shells were in the gourmet section of the grocery store, so I always bought a large sack of masa when in Colorado, and we made our own taco shells. Times have changed.

• Heart 4

6 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

I say this in jest, but with a bit of reality thrown in. I wonder what type of selection you easterners have for western boots? I know, I know, you have the web at your disposal. Back in the late 60s, I had to purchase my boots in western South Dakota, as no western boots in size seven were to be found east of the Missouri River. Heck, in the late 60s, taco shells were in the gourmet section of the grocery store, so I always bought a large sack of masa when in Colorado, and we made our own taco shells. Times have changed.

You can follow the interstate and shop western wear all day long. The taller heel of the western boot used to be a favorite of truck drivers. Throttle pedal position. Your on your own for masa.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, sheep_herder said:

I think western wear - boots included - has pretty strong followers even out here.  I know I pass a few big retailers when in the more rural areas here, so they need/want cowboy boots and the like, and there are lots of options for them to buy.  Probably just more a degree of price competition and "experts" or customization.

Uggs are not great for your feet because:

1. They really are great at keeping your feet warm. While it seems good, the negative is that they’re really good at trapping heat in your shoes. When your feet get hot and sweaty, it begins to provide perfect conditions for bacterial and fungal growth. This is especially worse when you do not wear socks out of convenience of slipping your Uggs right on.
  1. They lack structural support. Uggs have no arch support so it’s likely that your feet will flatten inwards and change your gait. The strain in your feet from trying to not slide around in the wide toebox may cause pain in the sole of your feet and heels. It could even cause pain in the Achilles tendon. All of these structural issues can cause not only foot pain, but ankle, knee and hip pains as well due to gait change and leg alignment issues.

Source: https://fordsfootandanklecare.com/2017/01/uggs-bad-feet/

• Awesome 2

Lace-up ropers are a boot that I like.  I would definitely take any western boot over Uggs.  Uggs are sheepskin and suede.  They get wet.  They stay wet.  Leather boots take a very long time to get wet if conditioned correctly.  Plus uggs are ugly.

Right now I only have a pair of DeNiro riding boots and about 6 pair of snow boots.  No dress boots, no western boots, and certainly no UGGs.

DeNiro Women's Raffaello Dressage Boots

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, sheep_herder said:

We have a couple English tack stores but my last pair of riding boots I bought in Germany.  I was there, I needed them unexpectedly and I still love them.  Locally, I could get something nearly as good.

For western tack there is a very good store in a tiny town about 45 minutes away.  They have some decent boots but nothing custom.  I should go out there for some ropers.

11 hours ago, Randomguy said:

That guy, sure, if I ever went to Times Square.  He is a nutcase, even beyond his outfit.

You think he is still there?  God, that is one helluva weird job.  I got it at the beginning when he sort of got local, then regional, and then some national attention, but come on!  How is that still interesting to him?