Jump to content

Should Humanity Be Warned?


Razors Edge
 Share

Recommended Posts

...if a truly "life ending" meteor strike is imminent?  Say we get a week's notice?  Would that result in a week of violence and insanity followed by immediate immolation?  Or, do you think it would be nice to have a few days to do whatever you wanted before the immolation?

How about a year's notice? Or a decade in advance?  Total destruction of the Earth guaranteed, so no special tricks other than maybe a short term bonus period on the ISS? 

What could be the upside of knowing in advance, especially more than a few hours or days? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites



Just now, Randomguy said:

I say a week's notice would be fine.  A year is too long, and people would starve as farmers decide to enjoy the time they have left.

What if, say, just the elites got notice?  We could let the commoners keep going in blissful ignorance???

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Nope.  Just let it end.  With any sort of warning, people would go crazy.  

What if, by getting EVERY single man, woman, & child in the world to jump simultaneously, we could knock the Earth out of orbit (and out of the path of the meteor)?  But it would be a one-in-a-million shot????  How about in that situation?!?!?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

...if a truly "life ending" meteor strike is imminent?  Say we get a week's notice?  Would that result in a week of violence and insanity followed by immediate immolation?  Or, do you think it would be nice to have a few days to do whatever you wanted before the immolation?

How about a year's notice? Or a decade in advance?  Total destruction of the Earth guaranteed, so no special tricks other than maybe a short term bonus period on the ISS? 

What could be the upside of knowing in advance, especially more than a few hours or days? 

Knowing a year in advance might be enough time to launch a nuclear bomb and hope to blow it off course and into smaller pieces.

Those who are religious might want to know so they can make peace with their god(s) if only a short time was involved.

Otherwise, all the bad guys would be doing everything they could to the good guys, so it would be better off not knowing for the short term.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Would go crazy?  Naaa.  We have demonstrated great stability over the last couple of years.

Ah, yes, but we've also shown resilience and ingenuity to quickly develop a free, safe, effective and readily available to all means to avert more disaster.  So, yeah, we're getting hit with a meteor

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

What if, say, just the elites got notice?  We could let the commoners keep going in blissful ignorance???

Wait, WE are the elites?

Anyway, like Donkpow said, nobody is gonna believe the scientists, and every stupid conspiracy theory is gonna get tossed around again by half of this country at least.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

What if, by getting EVERY single man, woman, & child in the world to jump simultaneously, we could knock the Earth out of orbit (and out of the path of the meteor)?  But it would be a one-in-a-million shot????  How about in that situation?!?!?

Or if the flat earthers are right, we could move everybody to one side and tip the earth up on edge to present a smaller target.

  • Awesome 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

What if, by getting EVERY single man, woman, & child in the world to jump simultaneously, we could knock the Earth out of orbit (and out of the path of the meteor)?  But it would be a one-in-a-million shot????  How about in that situation?!?!?

You'd only want to do the Northern Hemisphere. Otherwise the Aussies with their kangaroos and wallabies would counteract the European efforts.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...