What Are Your Plans? Embalmed? Cremation? Frozen? Buried? Stored? Spread?

Razors Edge

Talking to my wife over the years, we're both firmly in the cremation column, but I'm in the "then spread my ashes in the ocean, across a mountain, from a hot air balloon, etc.." category, while she's in a "store me on the shelf and have us spread together when we're both gone."

I said, "I don't think that will go over well with any of my future girlfriends." :dontknow:

How about you? Got plans? :scratchhead:

• Haha 3
  • Hugs 1

Take any parts that are still worth taking 

Burn the rest, and the kids can do what they want with the ashes 

The movie The Shipping News, has a scene where a woman pisses on the ashes of her brother, who had raped her when they were young. That scene is worth watching the movie for IMO. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

My wife's ashes were 50% spread in the mountains and lakes around Bend. The goal is to mix the rest with mine & spread in Little Cayman. It may be difficult to take the ashes on an International trip. In which case I want 50% of mine spread on a home construction site & then mix w/my wife & spread in Bend

• Hugs 1

13 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Yep - covered in Ted Lasso last week. 

Interesting no one has opted for being launched into space.  That seems fun.

Cremation most likely though composting would be choice #2. My mom was opposed to cremation when Dad first said he wanted it. His reasoning was you spend thousands of dollars for a piece of ground and a stone that people almost never go see. Mom came around to his thinking and I think she wants cremation too. My dad loved shooting so we placed his ashes under a little pine tree above the shooting range where he enjoyed spending time with his friends. The range owner said now Ben can look down on us and keep an eye on us when we are there. I replied that if you see a gray poof of dust, you know you shot too high! Mom though it was hilarious. The range owner didn't quite get it. 

A number of years ago my parents got us all plots at a small cemetery in the Catskills. There are actually two cemeteries - the "old" one across the road, and the "new one" . My parents are buried there as well as my Mom's parents and grandparents. A bunch of other relatives and friends are there too.

• Heart 1

I'm going to be cremated.  I want my relatives to throw a funeral party on one of the party boats that run between Annapolis and Baltimore and, near the Bay Bridge, sprinkle my ashes into the Bay so the molecules will become part of some crab's or oyster's shell and provide nutrients for the creatures the Rockfish (Striped Bass) eat.

• Heart 2

Just now, MickinMD said:

I'm going to be cremated.  I want my relatives to throw a funeral party on one of the party boats that run between Annapolis and Baltimore and, near the Bay Bridge, sprinkle my ashes into the Bay so the molecules will become part of some crab's or oyster's shell and provide nutrients for the creatures the Rockfish (Striped Bass) eat.

I thought you might be one of the rare "freeze my brain so I can come back as a super-cyborg in the not-too-distant future" type.

1 minute ago, 12string said:

Since at that time, I'll have a FAR different perspective on the matter, I'll leave it up to the ones still around to decide.  It's only going to matter to them anyway.  I hope I've taught them well enough to make good choices.

Many folks put it in their will with appropriate language (and $$$ if needed) around their wishes.

11 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Oh boy - so now OTHER people need to be part of YOUR "thing"????  Nothing is as romantic as a stroll along the beach and the feel of the warm sand and Chris' ashes on my feet!

If you are lucky you will step on a ball of tar first and then get my ashes stuck to the goo! 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

If you are lucky you will step on a ball of tar first and then get my ashes stuck to the goo! 

We spread my granddad's ashes in the ocean about 30 years after his death.  I have my last pup's ashes in a nice box behind me (where I work). We recently spent a chunk of $$$ to secure a spot for my FiL and MiL's ashes out in CA (in his will and $$$ from the estate).  My mom plays the "cremate me and do whatever you want with it" game, but I find that annoying. 

But, spread along the beach or in the ocean is nice, same with high above the mountains or in the woods.

From the John Prine collection: 

Please don’t bury me down in that cold cold ground. No, I’d ruther have ‘em cut me up and pass me all around.

Throw my brain in a hurricane, the blind can have my eyes. The deaf can have both my ears if they don’t mind the size.

Give my stomach to Milwaukee if they run out of beer. Put my socks in a cedar box just get ‘em out of here.

venus de Milo can have my arms. Look out I’ve got your nose. Sell my heart to the junk man and give my love to Rose.

Give my feet to the footloose, careless, fancy free. Give my knees to the needy don’t pull that stuff on me. Hand me down my walking cane, it’s a sin to tell a lie. Send my mouth way down south and kiss my ass goodbye.

• Heart 1