Would Germany Be Much Different Today?

Razors Edge
Go to solution Solved by Prophet Zacharia,

If the main streets in Berlin, Munich, and Frankfurt were named Hitlerstrasse? And many of the roads interconnecting the various cities were named after Himmler, Eichmann, or Goring?  Do they name high schools & have mascots?  Maybe a few could be the Gunning Gestapo! Or the Prancing Panzers?

Weird concept.  I wonder why they don't have it that way?

24 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

If the main streets in Berlin, Munich, and Frankfurt were named Hitlerstrasse? And many of the roads interconnecting the various cities were named after Himmler, Eichmann, or Goring?  Do they name high schools & have mascots?  Maybe a few could be the Gunning Gestapo! Or the Prancing Panzers?

Weird concept.  I wonder why they don't have it that way?

Do you also wonder why all the NEO Nazis are in the US, instead of Germany?

• Heart 1

20 minutes ago, 12string said:

They keep them under their rocks there, instead of letting them be their #1 threat to Homeland Security.

That seems more logical than embracing them and allowing them to be free about it in law enforcement and giving them preferential treatment from the top office in the country.

It's important to understand the ordinary Germans at that time, many were like us right now...not into protesting but not liking the rise of Nazism. Then it became too late/dangerous to protest...so they buckled under Hitler rule. And some just like dearie's father, were conscripted into war.

All the stories of courage of people defying the Nazis, by hiding the Jews, etc... honest they were probably the minority.  

How many of us would become so courageous in face of military tyranny/dictatorship in our own city/town/area?  How many of us would rise up and speechify to a crowd?  And how many of us would save our family members by risking our lives?  How many of us would flee from a comfortable life, leave all our possessions behind and run to another unknown country for freedom?  Perhaps the latter you might.

How many of us today would out another person for being racist as a witness within a crowd of strangers?  This last question is a realistic one to ask in North America right now.

It is possible naming something in Germany related to Nazi period already has happened..we just don't know German language enough or within the next 75 yrs., when the horror of Nazism is long forgotten /not properly understood by some younger generations there.

On the opposite end, it's like seeing Mao hipster buttons /logos. Oh, barf.

• Heart 1

19 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

There are memorials to german soldiers from WWII.  http://www.thirdreichruins.com/memorials.htm

There's even at least one for an SS division.

Not surprised....just like Japanese war memorials .. could be same soldiers enacting rapes, etc. in China, Korea. There was  a little war memorial near....a Tsjukii fish market in Tokyo.  I walked right by it and some tourists looking at it.  There's no point for me to observe anything unless I understand who was being remembered for ??