If Worlds Didn't Prove Race Radios Are Bad For Cycling...

Razors Edge

...I don't know what would convince you. 

Watching races where cyclists have to go on instinct &race acumen vs the tried & true Postal/Sky constantly managed approach clearly shows that the former is fun and the latter is often tedious.

More races need to be without race radios.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

I'd probably get lost either way.

The first time I used a Garmin Bike GPS device (I think it was a Forerunner 305 with the "wristwatch" attachment) on a trail I'd never rode before, I had also looked at satellite pictures of the park with my computer - the trail being mostly invisible due to woods, printed them out, and stuck them in a pocket.

I rode on the paved trail through the woods for several miles, carefully choosing which branches of the trail to take based those pictures of the general layout of the park, and when I thought I would emerge near where I parked my car, I emerged into an area filled with sports fields.  I looked at the printed satellite pictures in my pocket and couldn't find anything that looked like where I was.

So I turned around and retraced my route and eventually got back to my car after a couple wrong trail-branching guesses and retraces.  Later, I realized that I did have a satellite picture of the sports fields - but it was taken when the sun cast shadows of the light towers onto the fields and they looked like structures on the ground in the picture.  It turned out I was about 100 yards from my car when I decided to turn around!

• Haha 1