Pipeline

Longjohn

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

I have never seen them play before.

Hmmm... so you forgot to set your DVR to record the show in 1963?

I'm not sure...  we used to watch Lawrence Welk...  so I may have seen that show.  1963 was a loooong time ago.  I don't recall seeing that either, but that doesn't mean I didn't see the show. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

We teenagers used to laugh when Lawrence Welk used to bring in occasional rock bands or have his orchestra occasionally play it.  It just didn't fit with his show, which was a really big hit with my parents' generation.  The Lennon Sisters were young and fit in with his show, though.

• Heart 1

• Bob Welch — drums: original member (not the Fleetwood Mac member).

I had to look this up!  Also, I thought this was a Dick Dale song!

CoversEdit

"Pipeline" was covered and recorded by a large number of other musicians including Johnny Thunders (whose live version plays over the closing credits of television series The Sopranos' episode 74, entitled "The Ride"), Dick Dale (with Stevie Ray Vaughan and with Jimmie Vaughan), The Eagles, The Ventures, Nokie Edwardswith the Light Crust Doughboys, Takeshi Terauchi & Blue Jeans, Art Greenhaw, Incredible Bongo Band, Bad Manners, Hanoi Rocks, Hank Marvin (duet with Duane Eddy on Hank's 1992 album Into the Light), Elton Motello, Agent Orange, The Challengers, Anthrax on the album Attack of the Killer B's, Gary Hoey on the album Monster Surf, The Low Babies, The Astronauts, Assassin, Hot Butter, Bruce Johnston, Sandy Nelson, Australia's Exploding White Mice and Les Claypool's Duo de Twang's Four Foot Shack. Stevie Ray Vaughan and Dick Dale's version was also on the soundtrack for the 1987 film, Back to the Beach, as well as their separate compilation albums.[citation needed]

In 2011, Pat Metheny released a solo acoustic guitar version of this song on his What's It All About album.[6]In 2014 Bill Frisell released a jazz version of "Pipeline" on his Guitar in the Space Age! album.[7]

Ahh no, it was just covered by the world. :D

• Awesome 1

38 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

FTR, it is the Fleetwood Mac Bob Welch who is more famous, for songs like Sentimental Lady, etc. AFAICT, the one from this group stayed in obscurity. :(

Beautiful version

Welch version ( not a member of Fleetwood Mac )

• Awesome 1

I worked in a factory back in the sixties with a guy my age that moonlighted as a radio disc jockey.. He had people call in requests and I called in pipeline. I was expecting the Ventures and he introduced the song by the Chantay’s. I asked him at work the next day about it and he said it was their song, the Ventures version was a cover.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

3 hours ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

Excellent!  She was breathtaking, to say the least.  

I know people gloss over these YouTube videos and many times don't even bother, but I highly recommend you view this one.  A nice song and a homage to one of the greatest stars of the 20th century cinema.  :)

• Thank You 1
  • Awesome 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/4/2021 at 6:06 AM, Longjohn said:

The moves the group made for the song were even cornball for LW show.

Unpossible. :D I think I have said many times here that my paternal grandmother always called it Lloyd Weltz. :D  That never fails to crack me up. :D  She was good at malapropisms.  She call out dog Snoopy Stuke.  :D