Hey DH, tell us about your new place

Dottleshead

I love it.  We love it.

Things I like the best:  Privacy, land for a bike track, so many windows that being inside feels like being outside.

If we did it all again, I would upgrade my windows.  Maybe go a slightly darker shade on the base paint for the exterior.  Just a few shades to match the dead grass better.  

Summary? I posted every moment about the build.  To summarize:  We bought property, and had a contractor build a home for us.  We did a lot of stuff ourselves to save some cash.  It was tiring and took over our summer.

• Heart 3

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

I love it.  We love it.

Things I like the best:  Privacy, land for a bike track, so many windows that being inside feels like being outside.

If we did it all again, I would upgrade my windows.  Maybe go a slightly darker shade on the base paint for the exterior.  Just a few shades to match the dead grass better.  

Summary? I posted every moment about the build.  To summarize:  We bought property, and had a contractor build a home for us.  We did a lot of stuff ourselves to save some cash.  It was tiring and took over our summer.

but it was well worth it

• Heart 2

3 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

I love it.  We love it.

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Kzoo said:

That right there might be the most interesting paint comment ever.

I assume you are referring to the dead lawn comment.

We live in the country.  There are wild grasses that are only watered by nature.   The grass is green only briefly and then it is a straw color.  

Manicured green lawn is wasteful and stupid in the climate that I live in.  Really, the history of lawn and lawn itself is so wasteful and stupid.  We dump chemicals on the lawn to keep it green.  We should embrace our roots and grow food not lawns.  Hpw many of us are true elite class?  That is where lawns originated.  It was to show the paupers that "We are so rich, we don't need to farm."

Lawns as status symbols is incorrect.  They were strategic in nature in that they kept wild growth at bay, making observation of potential intruders easier.  They were also used as grazing lands for the livestock of commoners.  So, the "paupers" benefitted greatly from the lawns of the wealthy. 

3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Lawns as status symbols is incorrect.  They were strategic in nature in that they kept wild growth at bay, making observation of potential intruders easier.  They were also used as grazing lands for the livestock of commoners.  So, the "paupers" benefitted greatly from the lawns of the wealthy. 

History professor is who told me about the backstory of lawn.  He has been correct about lots of things.

They are definitely a status symbol these days.  Much of the time they serve no purpose other than being asthetically pleasing.  

History professor is who told me about the backstory of lawn.  He has been correct about lots of things.

They are definitely a status symbol these days.  Much of the time they serve no purpose other than being asthetically pleasing.  

History professor must be talking 20th century history because aesthetics for vanity sake is not what lawns were for.  

Early English history, like in Great Britain before we even got here. 

Then he/she has it completely wrong.  Lawns were strategic in nature with the exception of late 19th century, early 20th century gardens.  Even then, it was limited in application as stones were the preferred walking surfaces. 

Grasses have been used in modern agriculture for livestock feed, as a natural weed barrier and to prevent soil erosion.  Lawns are actually environmentally friendly in wetter climates. 

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

No, I will choose not to take on one of your "war horse" arguments. I have studied enough history in my time to know the truths history presents. 

Hey!  Can we get back to painting a house the color of the dead grass?  I find the color choice interesting.  People that live in the forest sometimes paint their houses green - same, same.  I just found your comment on color choice interesting.

5 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Hey!  Can we get back to painting a house the color of the dead grass?  I find the color choice interesting.  People that live in the forest sometimes paint their houses green - same, same.  I just found your comment on color choice interesting.

Shut up.  :) 

If you would just clad your house with mirrors, it would always be the color of your lawn! 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Then he/she has it completely wrong.  Lawns were strategic in nature with the exception of late 19th century, early 20th century gardens.  Even then, it was limited in application as stones were the preferred walking surfaces. 

Grasses have been used in modern agriculture for livestock feed, as a natural weed barrier and to prevent soil erosion.  Lawns are actually environmentally friendly in wetter climates. 

War horse?   I just am stating what I know to be true told to me by Phds around me and a google search clarified what I learned.  Lawns were and are aristocratic in nature. 

I am a war horse, because I am clarifying a fact?

This place bums me out.

another source backs up exactly what I said, but this is a war horse argument, because wiki is wrong and Wilbur is right

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawn

Bye

3 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

War horse?   I just am stating what I know to be true told to me by Phds around me and a google search clarified what I learned.  Lawns were and are aristocratic in nature. 

I am a war horse, because I am clarifying a fact?

This place bums me out.

Bye

I chose not to imbibe in your argument which is factually and historically incorrect.  Yes, in some centuries, decorative gardens became the norm.  Historically though, that is not why lawns were created.  Choose the century you wish to debate.  Don't let opposing facts bum you out, learn from them. 

5 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Manicured green lawn is wasteful and stupid in the climate that I live in.  Much of the time they serve no purpose other than being asthetically pleasing.  

Agreed.  Plus people are generally idiots about maintaining them.  "Ooh, there is a dandelion, you should take care of that"  "Oh yeah?  How 'bout you fuck off and get used to it?" would be the appropriate response.  No need for them in much of the world, plants grow wild if you must have them.

15 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Agreed.  Plus people are generally idiots about maintaining them.  "Ooh, there is a dandelion, you should take care of that"  "Oh yeah?  How 'bout you fuck off and get used to it?" would be the appropriate response.  No need for them in much of the world, plants grow wild if you must have them.

I think you are likely technically and surely semantically WRONG!  Go ahead and apologize to your betters.

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Whose dick is bigger?  I don't know, but it has to be something! And clearly you are wrong, and should apologize for besmirching your bettors! :D

A lot of dick-swinging here today. 

I swing mine for the gf when I get out of the shower.  She likes it.