would you live in an off grid dry cabin?

Digital_photog

I was looking through my friends on facebook and at least 20 of them do this.  IF we would add in the ones who have running water but are off grid it would be about 50. Most of them are mushers living in northern MN or in Alaska. I have been in some of their homes and they are very comfortable. You do have to be conscious  about conserving power since it is solar or wind if you don't run the generator.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I'd like to see that concept in warmer climes.

I have done it for short periods of time.  In many ways it wasn't a lot different than when I lived on the sailboat in the Florida keys and Lake Michigan one summer. I was cheap and would not pay for pier space that had electric. Spent most nights at anchor.  I could see @Wilbur doing that for a least a short time.

• Heart 1

I wouldn't want that as my only option but I would enjoy it for extended periods of time.  I would prefer the cold weather for off grid dry living though.  A sailboat is a great option but I would want the luxuries of running fresh water and electricity.   Watermaker and genset would be a must. :) 

There is a guy with a YT channel (How to Sail Oceans) that has a very rustic kit for world wide sailing. No water maker, limited electrics, manual water pumps, no engine.  That is cool to see him do it, but too rustic for me.  At least at this stage in my life. 

edit:  My Self Reliance is another interesting channel.  Log cabin build and life off grid.  

• Heart 2

3 minutes ago, Digital_photog said:

It means you can stay away from annoying people like @Dottles, @Razors Edge, and ;)

I camp - with no water, electricity, etc., because it gets me out in nature.  If I was going to choose a place to STAY - out in nature - seems I might as well improve the situation a bit.  I think these folks do all the semi-primitive stuff like find clean water, set up proper latrines, and come up with food storage/management, so it's sort of like the Luddites???  Pushing back on modern living?

But the types like @Razors Edge or @jsharr might actually show up and toss up a tent nearby! Those folks would be better off just moving to somewhere like Cincinnati, as there is no chance me or jsharr are gonna be spotted there!

17 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Now I understand why people would do this - as we all know running is evil.

That being said, I don't think I want to live in a cabin with  re-cycled  water either.

No trip to the ISS?  What if Bezos or Musk gave you a spot on their Mars missions?  Matt Damon ate POOP POTATOES!!! Come on, recylced water is no big deal!

One of my aunts...on my dad's side did. Pure hillbilly in Eastern Tennessee...no running water..just a rain barrel..outhouse..her cabin was neat and well kept...but the exterior looked a lot like the cabin on the Beverly Hillbillies.

Growing up, one of my uncles had a lake place we would visit..no running water, no indoor plumbing, no electricity...on a pretty  good sized lake north east of Duluth. Most fun was the sauna!

• Heart 1

16 hours ago, Digital_photog said:

Dry-cabin living, a.k.a, living without running water. That means no plumbing. No toilet. No shower.

This admittedly would be the hardest adjustment. You could adapt to no electricity based on daylight hours and all gadgets would go back to standard wares. Like no microwaves and no can openers. :)

5 hours ago, Dottles said:

This admittedly would be the hardest adjustment. You could adapt to no electricity based on daylight hours and all gadgets would go back to standard wares. Like no microwaves and no can openers. :)

No can openers?  You have me confused.  We always had can openers. Spam cans even came with their own little key to open them.

91F58GZLRxL._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.b112d6354c56640c7b0769c7e2c9f941.jpg

23 hours ago, Digital_photog said:

Dry-cabin living, a.k.a, living without running water. That means no plumbing. No toilet. No shower.

For more than 2 days, I would like running water. Just commenting after the cycling and camping that we've done. I think as North Americans we have our privileges...of choosing to do this for a few days, few wks. or months and then going back to running water.

When I was 19-20 I rented a cabin in the woods from a friend.  It had electricity but no running water.  There was a hand pump out front and an outhouse out back.  It did have a small kitchen with a sink with a grey water drain.  It was one room with a half wall to separate the 'bedroom'.  The outhouse was built over a septic tank so that was novel.  I ran a mechanics light out the 'bedroom window to the outhouse for night time use.  Baths were taken out of a 2-1.2 gallon bucket heated on the stove.  Furnishings were sparse but then there wasn't much room for them.  Me and my Beagle/Dalmatian mix puppy got along just fine for those 12 months.

5 hours ago, Digital_photog said:

No can openers?  You have me confused.  We always had can openers. Spam cans even came with their own little key to open them.

91F58GZLRxL._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.b112d6354c56640c7b0769c7e2c9f941.jpg

It was an inside joke. My social studies teacher back back back in the day could not understand why anyone needs an electric can opener. He’s right. 

1 hour ago, Dottles said:

It was an inside joke. My social studies teacher back back back in the day could not understand why anyone needs an electric can opener. He’s right. 

To show their obvious wealth and social stature of course! :)  My mother has one. They are very helpful to arthritics. 

2 hours ago, Dottles said:

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

To show their obvious wealth and social stature of course! :)  My mother has one. They are very helpful to arthritics. 

This is all the can opener anyone will ever need.

33105.jpg.16196bde0e3a2380449e8debe28dbd90.jpg

On 10/4/2021 at 7:36 AM, Digital_photog said:

I have done it for short periods of time.  In many ways it wasn't a lot different than when I lived on the sailboat in the Florida keys and Lake Michigan one summer. I was cheap and would not pay for pier space that had electric. Spent most nights at anchor.

Did you have solar or a wind generator? 

I would live off grid in a warm climate with the ability to live partially outdoors, comfortably.