None Of The Usual Chit Chat

Razors Edge

I find it creepy that when I pass a rider, they have to take my wheel. I can't understand why someone can't just go our for a ride without some dope having to hop on. I mean, aren't they out for exercise? I get my exercise by doing my own work. Creepy when guys you don't know hop on. That's just me though seeing I don't need someone else to carry me through my exercise program for the day. And nothing to prove by trying to keep up with a ride that passed me. 

16 hours ago, Mr Beanz said:

I find it creepy that when I pass a rider, they have to take my wheel. I can't understand why someone can't just go our for a ride without some dope having to hop on. I mean, aren't they out for exercise? I get my exercise by doing my own work. Creepy when guys you don't know hop on. That's just me though seeing I don't need someone else to carry me through my exercise program for the day. And nothing to prove by trying to keep up with a ride that passed me. 

It is amazing to me how often I review the Cycliq footage and see folks rolling along behind me.  If they don't freewheel, it is hard for me to notice when they jump on.  I had a feeling this guy had hopped on, and, really, for the most part I still just ride my ride.  One of my golden rules is "Own your front wheel, period", and that's how I try to ride. If I keep my front wheel protected, I'll be generally safe.  I have had some crazy fucks come sweeping past at ludicrous speed :D and cut in way too early so they brush my front wheel with their rear wheel, but luckily no crashes from that.  Otherwise, folks behind me are less a worry than folks in front or on my side.

But regarding exercise, EXACTLY!!!!  I am riding for exercise (usually), so I don't draft unless I absolutely need to until I can separate again.  By riding my ride instead of joining their ride (their pace, their effort), I get the workout I want.  I will choose a rabbit/carrot to chase in some cases, but I do moderate that pace to avoid getting in their draft until I can cleanly pass them (or try to!).  It's not "creepy" to me per se, as I do see how a slower rider might be appreciative of getting a nice draft that makes their ride faster & easier, but it is the no "hi" or "thanks" thing that is a bit annoying. I've had countless folks roll up next to me after drafting and thank me for the draft, tell me their name, or just let me know they were rolling off.  Nothing big, just a quick word or two.

• Heart 1

Yup, I'm the same. On trail rides with Gina, I stay at the front to set a steady pace. I have buddies that will get up front but they accelerate at the wrong times (going around slower riders or obstacles, I like to go around and make sure all are clear first, they like get around then sprint off for some reason when others behind get caught up, don't understand it myself). Plus they swerve left to right quickly if they see a paper or leaf. I'd keep my line and run over the leaf, safer for everybody or look ahead and call out debris. Seems most I ride with wait till the last second then swerve quickly to the side to avoid obstacles, scary. Also, they move all over the place vs holding a line. Makes it hard to sit in a draft. Not to mention sometimes they hug the right side eliminating the chance to sit in the draft. I stay in the center of the lane so Gina can take either side. Even with the guys only, going faster, I stay center so they can hold either side if needed. When they get in the front, they hug one side making it hard to draft. I have mentioned it to them but they get caught up in competing with the other guy and not wanting to help the other. Pretty stupid and frustrating. The other day, us 3 guys and Gina. When one guy took the front, the other sat on his wheel and would not help. The guy in front sat on the right so that the other couldn't get a good draft. Then the guy at the right slowed way down trying to get the other to go up front but he wouldn't not wanting to help the other. I had been at the front for 15 miles by this point so I was looking forward to the draft. But they were playing games and even Gina said WTH! We were going about 15 and riding our brakes. I ride really well with either guy when we ride in a pair. But put them together, time to play games trying to annoy the other. Not any mystery why I've been riding a whole lot less with these guys. If it is just Gina and I, we have a whole lot smoother ride and she will help me for a minute or two when I need it rather than play games like the others.

The creepy part to me about uninvited wheel suckers is that I am a pretty friendly guy. I say hi to everyone I pass. So many times, I will pass a guy and say hi. He looks at me like I'm bothering him. But surely he is going to take Gina's wheel when we roll by. Couldn't be friendly but then when he sees the draft a few seconds later, he wants to be best friends.

Then the other guys, we pass, take a wheel, then get brave 2 miles later and sprint around. OK, so you were a 13 MPH rider 10 minutes ago but suddenly you think you're a 20 MPH rider, for like 1/4 mile! These guys are more entertaining than anything cause it gives me a reason to laugh in their faces when we pass again. :D

For years and years I rode solo for a reason, other than Gina. I'm getting back to that point.  

Adding to the creepy thing! We did a ride a couple years back, just Gina and I. We rolled by one guy, of course I said hi but no response. Gina was doing really well so I just kept on with a good pace. Sure enough the guy hopped on Gina's wheel and stayed there for about 7 miles, never said a word. 

I went onto Strava and gave him a kudos. This was when all athletes were visible on the fly bys.  After my kudos, he posted a comment on my ride that said something like "you tracked me down on Strava, that is creepy!"

I posted a reply that said, "what is really creepy is that a stranger like you would hop on my wife's wheel without asking and stare at her ass for 7 miles" ha ha ha!

He blocked me after that. :D

Here is a video of one of those clowns from a few years ago. I keep this one as it makes me laugh.  Guy wearing a jersey that said Speedy Bike Club. :D

We passed him just doing our pace. He hopped on then sprinted around several times looking back. Passed him all 3 or 4 times within 7 miles or so to the coast. Then at the end of the trail, he tried to take off again so I asked Gina if she was good, then we picked up the pace to pass him right before the end. :D

Every time I pulled out my video, he would move off Aimee's wheel ha ha ha!

1 hour ago, Mr Beanz said:

I went onto Strava and gave him a kudos. This was when all athletes were visible on the fly bys.  After my kudos, he posted a comment on my ride that said something like "you tracked me down on Strava, that is creepy!"

I posted a reply that said, "what is really creepy is that a stranger like you would hop on my wife's wheel without asking and stare at her ass for 7 miles" ha ha ha!

Yeah, drafting women you don't know definitely moves into the potentially creepy range of things.  It's gonna happen that you end up riding behind a woman you don't know - either by catching them or them passing or just the normal mix of things in a big group - but not really something that many women appreciate.    It's not always a creepy move, but it's in the category of "why not just avoid doing it and save any worry it is creepy?"

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Mr Beanz said:

Every time I pulled out my video, he would move off Aimee's wheel ha ha ha!

You should look at a Cycliq Fly6 (or similar).  It's a nice safety device with the benefit of being a rear blinkie & a video camera.  I specifically picked it because of the on road riding I do, and it has an automatic "save/lock" function that saves the current footage in the event of a crash.  With a front and rear video, I feel I'm more likely to have some "evidence" if I ever happen to actually need (I hope I never need it!).  Anyway, I think it is good (not great) but does offer some sense of security, and you would get the "free" footage without having to manually record things on the fly.

Just now, Razors Edge said:

Yeah, drafting women you don't know definitely moves into the potentially creepy range of things.  It's gonna happen that you end up riding behind a woman you don't know - either by catching them or them passing or just the normal mix of things in a big group - but not really something that many women appreciate.    It's not always a creepy move, but it's in the category of "why not just avoid doing it and save any worry it is creepy?"

Exactly! I rarely draft and never while alone. But if I were a drafter, I would not take the wheel of a group if the last rider was a woman.  Not a single woman, or a group of women either.

There have been times when it was Gina, Aimee, and myself when we have had guys bump out Aimee out of her position in our 3 rider line. Not like we were racing anyone or trying to pass anyone, just keeping our pace. Some pretty rude ass hats out there.

Just me, Gina, and Aimee. Why would anybody bump Aimee out of her position?  :wacko:

042217A.jpg

042217G.jpg

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

You should look at a Cycliq Fly6 (or similar).  It's a nice safety device with the benefit of being a rear blinkie & a video camera.  I specifically picked it because of the on road riding I do, and it has an automatic "save/lock" function that saves the current footage in the event of a crash.  With a front and rear video, I feel I'm more likely to have some "evidence" if I ever happen to actually need (I hope I never need it!).  Anyway, I think it is good (not great) but does offer some sense of security, and you would get the "free" footage without having to manually record things on the fly.

I use 2 go pro recorders.  That day I was using one on a small 6 inch tripod that I use so I can pan around while riding.  Other times, I have it mounted on the back of my saddle in a stationary position (just can pan around but more stable footage).

So I use my recorders for entertainment purposes. I'm not one who uses recorders to record bad drivers or waiting for an accident to happen.  I see why some do, but that's just not me.  I'm all about the entertainment when it comes to recorders. :D

The rear views in this video were with the saddle rail mount. 

• Heart 1