Cycling Over 50

Mr. Beanz

8 minutes ago, Mr Beanz said:

But, I never thought I'd still be cycling at this age.

I believe in... use it or lose it.  

WoBG and I walk our dogs about 1 1/2 miles a day in the summer, longer walks in the winter. 6 miles was the longest last winter.   

WoBG rides with me on our tandem in the summer.  That 13 mile ride, is 13 miles more than ANY of our friends have ridden during the last year.

Yesterday I ride the 50 mile loop at the Pumpkin Pie Ride.  Of course I had some pie at the end of the ride. 

When I worked I gave up talking to others about riding a bike or walking our dogs.  People would look at me like I was a crazy person. 

I've come to realize...  many people don't hardly exercise at all, EVER.    Using the Google...  The average person walks between 3000 and 4000 steps per day.  Sedentary is less than 5000 steps per day.

I'll continue walking and riding as long as I can.   I'll be 66 in about 6 weeks.  

I'm glad you like to ride... :)

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 2

2 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

I believe in... use it or lose it.  

WoBG and I walk our dogs about 1 1/2 miles a day in the summer, longer walks in the winter. 6 miles was the longest last winter.   

WoBG rides with me on our tandem in the summer.  That 13 mile ride, is 13 miles more than ANY of our friends have ridden during the last year.

Yesterday I ride the 50 mile loop at the Pumpkin Pie Ride.  Of course I had some pie at the end of the ride. 

When I worked I gave up talking to others about riding a bike or walking our dogs.  People would look at me like I was a crazy person. 

I've come to realize...  many people don't hardly exercise at all, EVER.    Using the Google...  The average person walks between 3000 and 4000 steps per day.  Sedentary is less than 5000 steps per day.

I'll continue walking and riding as long as I can.   I'll be 66 in about 6 weeks.  

I'm glad you like to ride... :)

66? :o Wow, I thought you were like not even 50. B)

You know, my parents were those who said exercise was for little kids. Butted heads with my Dad most my life.  My Mom nowadays, seems to give me sheot whenever she can. I told her the other day, that I am not "trying" to lose weight but many of my cycling buddies are telling me that I look like I've lost some. I said that is nice figuring I've kicked it up to 400-500 miles every month. Then she says that losing weight and not trying is a bad thing, that I am probably sick and better go to the doctor because there is something wrong. Geeze! Some people have no concept of exercise or fitness and want to turn everything to a negative thang. Pretty frustrating sometimes so I do try to limit what I say about cycling. Mostly just had fun or she'll turn it around some way, I think out of her own guilt of not every doing something. 

• Sad 1

Now at 67 YO, I hope to ride into my 70s. A lot of my older riding buddies quit around 75 years old because they are afraid of crashing. However I was riding with one guy who is 79 years old a few weeks ago. He was wearing a heart recorder device taped to his chest as he's been having some heart rate issues.

There's another rider that I run into every so often on a local MUT. He's 92 years old but looks more like 70. He's thinking about getting an electric bike soon.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

31 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

I am staying over that, so that is a few steps in the right direction!  Laziness has been keeping me off the bike though!  I need to fix that before the snow flies.

One of the problem with the 70's is that if you let yourself get out of shape it's a long-way back because you've got to go slower than when you were young.

At 71 I don't have any arthritis and several of my joints have been operated on and/or physical therapied from 1989 to 2017 and are in good shape.

But at this point I know better than to tempt fate by pushing my age-reduced envelope.

Still, I have no trouble walking Jake 3 miles and should soon be back to 10 miles or so on my bike so I know I'm coming from a base that's not awful,

• Heart 1

56 minutes ago, Mr Beanz said:

Geeze! Some people have no concept of exercise or fitness and want to turn everything to a negative thang. Pretty frustrating sometimes so I do try to limit what I say about cycling.

That's exactly I gave up talking about riding, walking, etc..  at work.   

For years WoBG and I would go on 2 week vacations, they all were places we would day hike more than a few miles just about every day.   I'd just tell people at work where we went on vacation, not what we did. 

• Heart 2

Hank (Henrietta) Boland (picture below) is still cycling.  She was one of the people featured on an Outdoor Idaho show titled "Still Kickin'", and that was several years ago.

AT the 2021 USA Cycling Mountain Bike Cross Country Nationals, I was passed on the first climb by a local Sun Valley / Ketchum rider with a "79" inked on his calf.  He won his class and age group, and had a faster time than everyone in the next 2 younger age groups, and everyone in my age group except the top 2 finishers.

Average age of a Ride the Rockies cyclist:  54-57 years old.

"The Legend" - John Sinibaldi:

https://www.velonews.com/news/wednesdays-mailbag-cycling-legend-john-sinibaldi-passes-on-the-scoop-on-meirhaeghe-plus-millar-vino-and-us-blush/

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/farewell-to-the-legend-of-american-cycling/

I plan to continue cycling as long as I am able to.

Hank Boland 91.jpg

• Heart 2

11 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

That's exactly I gave up talking about riding, walking, etc..  at work.   

For years WoBG and I would go on 2 week vacations, they all were places we would day hike more than a few miles just about every day.   I'd just tell people at work where we went on vacation, not what we did. 

I stopped talking much about distances for cycling to people at work. If I talk too much about it, it sounds  boastful.  They know my cycling lifestyle and transportation needs. Instead I find it  better to talk about the cycling destination..that way they can try to figure out the distance without me naming yet another, boring mileage to them.  

• Heart 1

50 is the new 40, and, I think in some cases, comparable to the average 30 year old these days :D

In general, as a 51 year old, I compare myself to other folks I am interacting with regularly, so - due to WFH and the pandemic - it's mostly fit cycling folks of all ages now versus my previous "office" mates.  When I am out and about on the bike, I see all the ages, but plenty are old dudes and ladies (way older than me), so I feel pretty good about the possibility of cycling for many more years. 

But there is an absolute dichotomy between the "active" and the "sedentary" worlds depending upon my surroundings and activity (or inactivity).  Out riding or hiking or being active, it is, obviously, skewed in the direction of fit people, but step back into "normal" life - restaurants, stores, shows, etc. - and the nation's/world's challenges with obesity and/or general physical health become obvious. :( 

So, cycling after 50 (or 60 or 70) seems fairly reasonable, but will likely be a challenge for many not already working in that direction.

• Heart 2

I guess this is one of the few places I can air this dismay without seeming boastful:  My wife and I have discussed often the need to find younger friends.  As we age, our long time friends have become sedentary.  So bike rides, hikes, other activities - they're out.  We put out the "Who wants to hike Old Rag?" query, and get crickets.  Our kids will do this stuff with us, but only if we're all on vacation and they have no choice but to hang with the old people (who are likely slowing them down)

Not like we DON'T have younger friends, just amazing how many people don't do this stuff.

There was an old woman - had to be at least well into her 80s - who used to do the 65 mile ACS bike ride.  On a cruiser with a wicker basket.  In a dress and heels.  Took her all day, but she did it.

Saw an article about an over 70 hockey league in Atlantic City.  Spotlight was on a 95 year old still playing.  My hero.

My league is Over 30.  Fortunately, not many 30 year olds in my division.  We do have one guy who changes his jersey number to match his age every year.  He's wearing 73 this year.

I haven't even given any consideration to what age I might stop any of this.  That's just not a thing as far as I know.

• Heart 2

While I am 70, I hope to get back to it after the surgery Nov 4th. Been on a bike a few times since the accident a year ago this month, but that hematoma on the thigh throws the center of gravity off. It has been simple, short, "utility" type rides, like to the lake and transporting gear. Killing me that the field of wildflowers is in bloom this week, the land is not flooded (rare), but I don't feel comfortable taking a mountain bike out in it like in the past as shown in the photo below.

Don't know if it gets me any brownie points, but at 69 when the accident occurred, I biked 6 miles home, and while the thigh blew up the size of a grapefruit in the final 2 miles, I didn't know I had a fractured clavicle until treated in the ER.

DSC_8176.JPG

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

27 minutes ago, 12string said:

I guess this is one of the few places I can air this dismay without seeming boastful:  My wife and I have discussed often the need to find younger friends.  As we age, our long time friends have become sedentary.  So bike rides, hikes, other activities - they're out.  We put out the "Who wants to hike Old Rag?" query, and get crickets.  Our kids will do this stuff with us, but only if we're all on vacation and they have no choice but to hang with the old people (who are likely slowing them down)

Not like we DON'T have younger friends, just amazing how many people don't do this stuff.

There was an old woman - had to be at least well into her 80s - who used to do the 65 mile ACS bike ride.  On a cruiser with a wicker basket.  In a dress and heels.  Took her all day, but she did it.

Saw an article about an over 70 hockey league in Atlantic City.  Spotlight was on a 95 year old still playing.  My hero.

My league is Over 30.  Fortunately, not many 30 year olds in my division.  We do have one guy who changes his jersey number to match his age every year.  He's wearing 73 this year.

I haven't even given any consideration to what age I might stop any of this.  That's just not a thing as far as I know.

My "main" gravel & road cycling buddy is 35.  He has energy to burn :)  My MTB buddy is in his 40s, and he's good at very short term riding, but he's sadly losing his endurance and putting on weight :(  He is cooked after 20 miles on the road, so that's pretty limiting. On MTB trails, he rolls hard and fast, and then takes breaks. Too many for me :( but maybe I do MTB wrong???

But our local road scene seems mostly filled with MAMILs like me, so there are plenty of middle aged men and women out there riding, and we make up the majority of most "organized" events. 

On the bikepacking trip we took this summer, most of the people were older than me. Two of the riders were 66. Both were badasses. One just had her second knee replacement. The other had climbed the Eiger. Two of the riders climbed K2. We are planning next year's trip. 

My friend who is in his 80s climbed the Grand Teton with my GF while he was in his 60s. 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

3 hours ago, 12string said:

Interesting point about having younger friends as we age but still want to remain active.  Most of my closest friends at least like lots of walking/hiking and more rarely, cycling enough like myself. They are primarily around my age. 

I would suggest though, for cycling it's an easier sport to do it solo..if there aren't enough friends to ask/pick from at the right time. At least I feel waaaay safer on a bike vs. jogging solo when going long distances in more isolated areas.  I know people talk about falling and fragile bones, but honest if you are on a paved path, the chances are pretty slim, especially for long-time experienced cyclists on this forum. It's your speed /control and alertness of your surroundings.

I had other cyclists on my road today. I stopped to look at Dave’s pond. He had an excavator in there the other day making it deeper and a little bigger. While I was looking at his pond a girl in hi-viz rode by. A little later another one rode by. They got up to the Amish school and stopped and looked back. There was a third rider coming. They waited until he was almost caught up and then took off.

I rode up along side the guy and asked him where he was from. He said Wisconsin. I said that’s a long ride. I asked him what he thought of our hills. He said they were kicking his butt. He said they have lots of lakes but no hills where he lives. They were here visiting a relative. They liked our country roads with almost no traffic. 
The guy told me he was 70 years old.

4 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I had other cyclists on my road today. I stopped to look at Dave’s pond. He had an excavator in there the other day making it deeper and a little bigger. While I was looking at his pond a girl in hi-viz rode by. A little later another one rode by. They got up to the Amish school and stopped and looked back. There was a third rider coming. They waited until he was almost caught up and then took off.

I rode up along side the guy and asked him where he was from. He said Wisconsin. I said that’s a long ride. I asked him what he thought of our hills. He said they were kicking his butt. He said they have lots of lakes but no hills where he lives. They were here visiting a relative. They liked our country roads with almost no traffic. 
The guy told me he was 70 years old.

...and then you dropped him like a sack of bricks??? :party:

15 hours ago, groupw said:

Kind of like @12string, my circle of friends is getting younger. Too many of my friends my age became sedentary and just want to talk about how old we are and the “good old days”. I have some good memories with many of them but I am not ready to live in the past. At 59, I can still ride with the front group. We averaged nearly 19 mph on our 70+ mile ride to Scratchtoberfest. 
I can tell I need more recovery as I am getting older, but 9 months past Covid I am starting to recover faster than I would the last couple years. I don’t know what the future holds, but I see no reason to take a step back at the moment. 

Yep.  Sort of the "Glory Days" song for many :(

One thing I regret this year was missing the sign up for a local century where I think I would have been able to hit a "relatively solo" 5hr century.  I think I still have the fitness, and age hasn't been the limiting factor it seems to be for many I know outside of the cycling world.  I am willing to add that century to next year's reminder list, and don't see a reason to doubt I will be able to do it.

• Awesome 1

5 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Yep.  Sort of the "Glory Days" song for many :(

One thing I regret this year was missing the sign up for a local century where I think I would have been able to hit a "relatively solo" 5hr century.  I think I still have the fitness, and age hasn't been the limiting factor it seems to be for many I know outside of the cycling world.  I am willing to add that century to next year's reminder list, and don't see a reason to doubt I will be able to do it.

I did a ride out here called Tour de Palm Springs. I did it about 4 times. Once on the tandem with Gina. 1800+ feet of gain. 

I did it in 5:45 solo back in 2005. Solo other than having a group of about 15 riders latch on the back when I rolled by. :D

I did several flat centuries out here on the trail as well in 5:45. Don't think I could do 5:00 solo though. But even at a 5:45 rate, you're flying by rider after rider along the way.

I did go to AZ to do a metric century over there, also about 2005 so I was about 42 or 43. I planned to do the ride solo but some guy lost his ride partner to a broken spoke and pretty much begged me to ride with him the last 10 miles or so. We were blowing by a ton of riders. Big groups and packs who would hop on then fall back.  I planned to do the ride solo and wanting to be one of the first 100 riders in as the first 100 were given medals. Just wanted a medal. :D

So the first 3/4 was done solo and I ended up with a 20 MPH average. 

Gina did a century in 6:22 at age 50. So that was cool! :party:

To do a 5:00 century now, I'd have to lose 30 pounds and 2 or 3 ride partners and even then, don't think I can do it. :lol: What is funny though, I have met a gang of guys who have done sub 5 hour centuries but riding with them 2 or 3 riders, they couldn't keep up. So I am guessing riding in a huge pack helped them out.

Solo 5:00 hour century? I couldn't do it. Not then and not now. <_<

This was the Arizona Bike ride back in 2005 (?) 62 miles at 20 MPH. Probably my best ride time ever, The guy with me was a Love Forum member way back, went by M&Rbkr if I remember correctly.

0beanz3.jpg

• Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Beanz said:

I did a ride out here called Tour de Palm Springs. I did it about 4 times. Once on the tandem with Gina. 1800+ feet of gain. 

I did it in 5:45 solo back in 2005. Solo other than having a group of about 15 riders latch on the back when I rolled by. :D

I did several flat centuries out here on the trail as well in 5:45. Don't think I could do 5:00 solo though. But even at a 5:45 rate, you're flying by rider after rider along the way.

I did go to AZ to do a metric century over there, also about 2005 so I was about 42 or 43. I planned to do the ride solo but some guy lost his ride partner to a broken spoke and pretty much begged me to ride with him the last 10 miles or so. We were blowing by a ton of riders. Big groups and packs who would hop on then fall back.  I planned to do the ride solo and wanting to be one of the first 100 riders in as the first 100 were given medals. Just wanted a medal. :D

So the first 3/4 was done solo and I ended up with a 20 MPH average. 

Gina did a century in 6:22 at age 50. So that was cool! :party:

To do a 5:00 century now, I'd have to lose 30 pounds and 2 or 3 ride partners and even then, don't think I can do it. :lol: What is funny though, I have met a gang of guys who have done sub 5 hour centuries but riding with them 2 or 3 riders, they couldn't keep up. So I am guessing riding in a huge pack helped them out.

Solo 5:00 hour century? I couldn't do it. Not then and not now. <_<

This was the Arizona Bike ride back in 2005 (?) 62 miles at 20 MPH. Probably my best ride time ever, The guy with me was a Love Forum member way back, went by M&Rbkr if I remember correctly.

0beanz3.jpg

You likely don't have "flat" like we have flat!

image.thumb.png.a20936f397f5012ca184d52f8abced5a.png

But I think you could do it because once you get into that "cruising" speed, with no real stopping and starting, it's not as bad as one might think.  It is never going to be truly solo on an organized ride as you are always moving between packs, and even with quite country roads, you can't easily pass a pack (or they you), so you will get a draft and give a draft all day.  Of course, you "lose" time during the areas near rest stops or other chokepoints, so it sort of balances out.

The groups there are pushing for the four hour ride times, which is hauling butt.  I don't even know if I could do that just sitting in the bunch, and certainly not pulling some.  The five hour, with the inevitable push and pull of 1,000+ other riders, makes it "only" a relatively solo event.  Heck, like you wrote, you may be "solo" and turn around to see a half dozen folks right behind you!

• 2 years later...
On 10/6/2021 at 2:15 PM, Razors Edge said:

You likely don't have "flat" like we have flat!

image.thumb.png.a20936f397f5012ca184d52f8abced5a.png

But I think you could do it because once you get into that "cruising" speed, with no real stopping and starting, it's not as bad as one might think.  It is never going to be truly solo on an organized ride as you are always moving between packs, and even with quite country roads, you can't easily pass a pack (or they you), so you will get a draft and give a draft all day.  Of course, you "lose" time during the areas near rest stops or other chokepoints, so it sort of balances out.

The groups there are pushing for the four hour ride times, which is hauling butt.  I don't even know if I could do that just sitting in the bunch, and certainly not pulling some.  The five hour, with the inevitable push and pull of 1,000+ other riders, makes it "only" a relatively solo event.  Heck, like you wrote, you may be "solo" and turn around to see a half dozen folks right behind you!

My first MS150 I did I thought I was probably near the back of the pack because I had been passed by so many riders. I rode for a long time with nobody else passing me. I rode without a mirror in those days. Western PA’s MS150 is pretty brutal because of the hills the first day. When I was climbing the long steep hill at the end of the first day I saw a photographer set up on the steepest part. I thought that was pretty rude taking people’s picture when they were dying. When I got home after the ride I went to the website to see how bad I looked in that picture. I actually looked good. 😀 It was 85° that day and I had unzipped my jersey for ventilation. My chest glistened from sweat and I somehow managed a smile in spite of my pain. I also saw many, many riders climbing the hill behind me. I had no idea they were back there. I put my bike in the gym and went and got a shower and then went and got a massage. After my massage I noticed there were still riders coming in for the next two hours. I guess I wasn’t at the back of the pack. :dontknow:

• Awesome 3

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Sadly, he did create some good cycling threads, but then...left us scratching our heads about what went sideways.

He also posted some rather unflattering comments about me on his site.  It's managed by Google Blogger.  I reported the post, it was removed.

I'll let Nate or BoSox back before Beanz.  He is nuts.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/4/2021 at 7:40 PM, Mr. Beanz said:

Never thought I'd still be riding over 50. I did some challenging rides at 40 just because I thought 50 was out of sight when it comes to riding.  I'd view 50+ forums and wonder how these old fokkers were still riding.  Now I'm 58, and a half and still feeling pretty darn good. Almost 9 years beyond 50 and I can see how one can ride into their 70's. 

80's is pushing it though :D

I did have some cycling friends who were still out there at 86. Not sure I'd want to at that age. I think I'd be more inclined to do some walking miles at that age. 

But, I never thought I'd still be cycling at this age. :party:

I haven't been riding as much as I used to and hope to correct that as I approach age 74 in October.

But I do walk 2-3 miles at a time, holding onto the leash of a 100 lb dog, sometimes jogging part of it, and that's tougher on the legs than cycling, even on hills.

When Ravens Hall of Fame Linebacker Ray Lewis had troubles with his legs late in his career, he discovered cycling and found the reduced the strain on them and returned him to an All-Pro level of play.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

He also posted some rather unflattering comments about me on his site.  It's managed by Google Blogger.  I reported the post, it was removed.

I'll let Nate or BoSox back before Beanz.  He is nuts.

I never had a problem with BoSox or Nate, but Beanz was off the rails.

10 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

OMG! I thought that Beanz was back.

Illinois is the second flattest state after Florida. We used to have a Flat As A Pancake century ride here that had about 1,000 feet total climbing or 10 feet a mile on average. A lot of that was Interstate overpasses.

I have done the Palm Springs Century as well and one thing Beanz didn’t mention was the wind.  The first 15-20 miles you often face a fierce, like 30 MPH head wind.  I was literally in my granny gear inching along at under 10 MPH on flat ground for miles… but the remaining 80 miles are with either a tail or no wind and as he mentioned the climbing is negligible.  

• Heart 3

5 hours ago, Dottleshead said:

You ex-Patriots hang together.

Maybe, maybe not.  He got a little crazy, too.

I tried looking up his account, but it seems he was one of the earlier people who were going to be banned, and he was still able to delete his account before I took that option away.  I cannot look him up to contact him.