What are you reading?

Dirtyhip

Cyclone In Calico - The Story of Mary Ann Bickerdyke

image.png.464ae8920b4fcf38ffd83738c86a1d4e.png

https://www.loc.gov/exhibits/civil-war-in-america/biographies/mary-ann-bickerdyke.html

Army surgeons often complained how she overstepped into their responsibilities.  One officer complained to General Sherman, who responded "Mary Ann Bickerdyke? I can't help you.  She outranks me."

• Heart 1

I’m reading the instructions for the instapot my son got me for my birthday. I didn’t need an instapot but he thought I did. I have to use it at least one time so if he asks me how I like it I can tell him. I think I’ll move some crock pots that I don’t use to the basement to make room for the instapot that I probably won’t use. Gift giving/receiving is hard. It’s a little easier getting a gift for a young person just starting out. They may even have things they really want but the kids need new shoes so they are putting off buying. Once someone reaches retirement age if they want something they already have it. 

• Heart 2

23 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I’m reading the instructions for the instapot my son got me for my birthday. I didn’t need an instapot but he thought I did. I have to use it at least one time so if he asks me how I like it I can tell him. I think I’ll move some crock pots that I don’t use to the basement to make room for the instapot that I probably won’t use. Gift giving/receiving is hard. It’s a little easier getting a gift for a young person just starting out. They may even have things they really want but the kids need new shoes so they are putting off buying. Once someone reaches retirement age if they want something they already have it. 

Give Mick a call! He'll clue you in on the dos and don'ts of Instapots!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

FIFY.

That might be a better idea. My wife loved her crock pots and she had a little one that was just the right size for the two of us. Then she had a giant one that she would use when we were having a gang over or to take to a church dinner or something. Then she bought a second giant one to leave at work. She didn’t want to have to carry it in to work so she left it there and just carried the food in ziplock bags.

• Heart 1

Just now, Longjohn said:

That might be a better idea. My wife loved her crock pots and she had a little one that was just the right size for the two of us. Then she had a giant one that she would use when we were having a gang over or to take to a church dinner or something. Then she bought a second giant one to leave at work. She didn’t want to have to carry it in to work so she left it there and just carried the food in ziplock bags.

And if you carry those suckers down those steps, someone is going to have to carry them back up...

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Not holding my attention :(  I'll get through it, but not too exciting.

I'm only 90 pages in. I switched to Signs of Life: To the Ends of the Earth with a Doctor since it is due sooner. The guy took six years to ride his bike around the world. It's interesting so far.

• Awesome 1

I haven't been reading much since I got back in the house.

I want to read The Complete Works of Gaius Julius Caesar, at least The Gallic Wars, because I find it so cool to read a famous person's description of his/her life in his/her own words, even though Caesar writes about himself in the 3rd person: "Both sides strove with the utmost vigor. When our men were distressed, Caesar sent up the Germans, and posted the legions in front of the camp to prevent any sudden inrush on the part of the enemy's footmen."

Here are some of the folders in which I have a bunch of eBooks I want to read, where I've read some of the books in some of the folders:

image.png.4e9449a2a9664ea8362bc1a2f482e6db.png image.thumb.png.7134878584a75542676742c70d4e7a6a.png