When it comes to attire,

Wilbur

If, by stodginess you mean wearing a suit, etc., I tend to do that.  I have not owned one since the fire, nor a tie, and need to attend funeral viewing and services Sunday and Monday.  I've been told my dress pants and shirt and shoes are good enough, but I'll feel under-dressed.

I used to have good taste, especially when I lived with the quarrelsome ex, because she was a fashion designer.  She knew her stuff when it came to fashion and decorating.  

It was actually fun to try on and get clothes at that time.  Now I am too fat to shop because I feel I will drop the extra weight eventually, so I don't want to get things now that I will not use later.  

2 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I used to have good taste, especially when I lived with the quarrelsome ex, because she was a fashion designer.  She knew her stuff when it came to fashion and decorating.  

It was actually fun to try on and get clothes at that time.  Now I am too fat to shop because I feel I will drop the extra weight eventually, so I don't want to get things now that I will not use later.  

That could be my problem.  I'm 50 lbs lighter than I was in 99

3 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Now I am too fat to shop because I feel I will drop the extra weight eventually, so I don't want to get things now that I will not use later.  

I feel. 

So...it's the right season for a scarf, a pair of boots, interesting graphic t-shirt. Items that make you feel good while wearing them and aren't linked to weight/size.