Food Trucks

Airehead

Do you have a favorite food truck?  Do you go to food truck rodeos?  
I guess I never realized what a big deal they were. Just read a list of the best food trucks in every state. For New York it is in Brooklyn. About a 7 hour drive for me. image.jpeg.2cd9a60c1850ba7e0ce00c02b83dcd93.jpeg

• Heart 1

There aren't too many around me.  Work has been trying to entice people back (or create an opportunity for casual bonding with coworkers), with free weekly food trucks.  So far it hasn't been enough to entice me back to the office.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, JerrySTL said:

I saw my first food truck when I joined the US Air Force in 1972. We called them "roach coaches". They brought rather lousy food and snacks near the flightline.

This is the same experience we have had for 30 years at dog shows. 

56 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

I saw my first food truck when I joined the US Air Force in 1972. We called them "roach coaches". They brought rather lousy food and snacks near the flightline.

I went through PLDC at Ft Knox where they train tank crews.  I remember watching a bunch of M1’s rolling out to the range followed by a roach coach!  Huh, better than MRE’s I guess…

Yeah they are a thing out here. We have a taco truck that parks every night in a nearby industrial center.  It has a long line every time we drive by.  The one at work started coming back but it had a long like every morning ore Covid.  It has a few folks now.

• Heart 1

I do go to food trucks. Some of the best Mexican food can only be found in trucks. In addition, some the best Chinese dumplings can only be bought in one of the local trucks. Also, there is a Greek one nearby that continues to get rave reviews. 

it turns out in the age of COVID, food trucks are a great option. Portable food and it’s usually of equal quality but at cheaper prices. 

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, Airehead said:

Do you have a favorite food truck?  Do you go to food truck rodeos?  
I guess I never realized what a big deal they were. Just read a list of the best food trucks in every state. For New York it is in Brooklyn. About a 7 hour drive for me. image.jpeg.2cd9a60c1850ba7e0ce00c02b83dcd93.jpeg

A fire department near my sister's house has a Food Truck Tuesday every week where there is regular and ethnic (Greek, etc.) food and she and her husband go there most weeks and like it a lot.

There used to be one that parked in front of the U. of Toronto Chemistry Building in 1975, run by a French Canadian couple. There was a lot of French-English Canadian tension going on then and I'd always get extra tuna salad on my sandwich when I ordered in French.

• Awesome 1

5 minutes ago, Dottles said:

I do go to food trucks. Some of the best Mexican food can only be found in trucks. In addition, some the best Chinese dumplings can only be bought in one of the local trucks. In addition, there is a Greek one nearby that continues to get rave reviews. 

it turns out in the age of COVID, food trucks are a great option. Portable food and it’s usually of equal quality but at cheaper prices. 

Also Seattle had an amazing wood fried pizza truck that I would prefer over many in restaurants places. 

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

Details details… What made it the best???

The flavor.  Obviously they marinate their chicken and load it with rice, beans, and some japenos.  Plus the tortilla was soft and warm and their homemade salsa is to die for.  I always went there for their soft tacos -- and just decided to give there burrito a chance.  I suspect the tacos (the best in town IMHO) just lost out.  This burrito had more substance and actually cost less than the 3 tacos cost combined.  It was more filling and already I want to go back there tomorrow and get another one.  Apparently this Mexican food truck is the oldest in Whatcom County.  

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

55 minutes ago, Further said:

I am curious about both of these

What does Tatanka Truck serve ?

And how does Tot Ross build a menu out of tater tots ? or am I misconstruing the paint job ?

Tatanka is owned by Sean Sherman, the Sioux chef. I wanted to acquire his cookbook, but was outbid by a friend. It won the James Beard Award.

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Further said:

I am curious about both of these

What does Tatanka Truck serve ?

And how does Tot Ross build a menu out of tater tots ? or am I misconstruing the paint job ?

And the Tot Boss is a tater tot food truck. I had tater tot hash with bacon. The other end of the spectrum, but tater tots grow on trees in the Midwest.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bikeguy said:

I didn't know that either.   I can't remember the last time we stopped at a food truck.  

You are missing out. I try not to miss a good food truck. So much creativity in such a small space.

Two that we visited in our spring bike trip. Torrey Utah.

o.jpg

Green River, Utah

Photo of Tacos La Pasadita - Green River, UT, United States. It looks as though they stopped for fuel and never left !

And one on the way to another bike trip. Heber City Ut

Document-1-1024x1024.jpg

3 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

I didn't know that either.   I can't remember the last time we stopped at a food truck.  

I think the last year plus of covid restrictions and folks not wanting to go indoors to restaurants has brought about a huge growth of food trucks and an improvement in the quality of food there.  They are the ultimate in take out food.  Lunchtime for the work force is their best time of the day.  One of the local trucks is no longer staying open into the dinner hour.  Instead he's catering to the breakfast and lunch crowd.  He's using a large parking lot of an abandoned car dealership and the tractor trailer drivers like the ease in pulling in and out for lunch.