Fountain pens

groupw

I have always loved the flow a fountain pen has. To me it is hand in hand with gel pens. 

I still use fountain pens with different colored India ink. There is something about the way they scroll across different types of parchments that other pens don’t do

• Heart 4

32 minutes ago, Airehead said:

I kept one when my mom passed. It is silver and made by Waterford. Apparently it is the crystal company and they made pens in The patterns of their crystal. I wish I knew more. I have not written with it. 

This is my friend https://m.facebook.com/lincolnpensrestoration/. If he can’t answer your questions, he probably knows someone who can. 

5 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Bic has never stained my shirts.

Back in the 60's when I was learning how to write. we only were allow to use fountain pens. I recall getting one that had an ink cartridge.  That was supposed to be clean and easy.  Did you ever see a kid change an ink cartridge in a fountain pen?  Ink was everywhere. 

When Bic started selling ball point pens, we still were NOT allowed to use them.  Eventually the nuns caved in and let us use Bic pens.   I was happy about that... no more blue (or black) hands.  

• Heart 3

1 minute ago, Bikeguy said:

Back in the 60's when I was learning how to write. we only were allow to use fountain pens. I recall getting one that had an ink cartridge.  That was supposed to be clean and easy.  Did you ever see a kid change an ink cartridge in a fountain pen?  Ink was everywhere. 

When Bic started selling ball point pens, we still were NOT allowed to use them.  Eventually the nuns caved in and let us use Bic pens.   I was happy about that... no more blue (or black) hands.  

My mother always told stories of boys sitting behind girls in class dipping pony tails in the ink bottles.  :)  Ball points had become the go to pen when I was in school.  Bic was the school favoured brand. 

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

Kids with ink is just hard to believe. Recipe for disaster for sure!

Likewise used Schaeffer pens in elementary school until ballpoints took over. About 15 years ago I saw a Parker kit in Staples and bought it for kicks. It was refreshing, forcing me to slow down from the ball point scribble and improved my handwriting. It had a wide unchangeable nib that laid a very distinctive line. While it has seen better days, I have two on my desk, a Lamy using blue ink (Noodlers Liberty Elysium) that I replaced the original medium with a fine nib, and a generic that my daughter gave me that writes surprisingly smooth with a set medium nib using the Parker Quink black ink. Typically will use the refillable adapter cartridge with bottle ink but back to cartridges on the generic. Probably the biggest problem is that you need to use them or the ink will either full dry up or clog the flow path inside the head requiring cleaning. Ink on hands when refilling? Typically don't mind, but if I think of it will put some disposable gloves on. At refill, sucking warm water several times to the cartridge before adding ink will clean it, but occasionally I will do a complete teardown and soaking. Clogging between refills, running water on the head and drying will usually resolve.

As a Realtor, tends to impress clients when you hand them one for signing contracts. Sadly had to educate some on how to hold and use it as they attempted upside down.

A neighbor two doors down is 5 years older than me, a retired teacher and former Principal of a local elementary school. She needed to sign something so I handed her a fountain pen. She was in shock...but impressed... as it had been decades since she used one.

Finally, the "new generation". While @groupw noted the friend and Comic Con display, I have been impressed where pens are the livelihood of a young family as they developed the business - and have care/use instructional videos on YouTube. Meet the Goulets – The Goulet Pen Company (gouletpens.com) (weird, didn't paste as an active link)

• Heart 2

4 hours ago, Tizeye said:

CVT wind up toy programed to make you thing it is shifting.

Yeah... that's just wrong.    So many cars now have a CVT that shifts between nonexistent gears.  

Sooner than later, you won't be able to buy a car (or possibly even a truck/SUV) with a clutch.  

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

My wife does not.  Both are fun to drive.

Hmm... I thought your wife has a Prius??    

My 2016 Prius is way better to drive than my 2005 Prius was.  Fun...   not so much.     At least the Prius has a CVT and is not programmed to fake shift. 

WoBG's Honda Prelude (manually shifting the automatic, with its 8000 rpm fuel cut off) is a LOT more fun (comparted to the Prius) on some of the roads here. 

My 1977 Z28 Camaro, with its 4 speed was fun.  

Just now, Square Wheels said:

She has a Tesla now.

Ok... that a house of a different color... :D 

So does a Tesla just use the CVT, or do they include fake shifts?   

(I understand why manufactures would program fake shifts... but I still think it's wrong.)