Ford Trucks

Road Runner

We had a 49 Ford with a flathead V8 and non-synchro 4-speed. 
After that was a 58 with 6 cylinder and 3 on the tree. 
When Grandpa passed, Dad got his 69 with a 302 or 360. It struggled with full loads of firewood so Dad put in a 460. It could break the tires loose with a full load! 
I had a 89 Ranger with the 2.9 V6 and 5-speed. I needed a little bit more towing capacity so I got the Dakota. The Ranger was more fun to drive. It was a sports car with a big trunk!

• Heart 3

5 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

Of course a teenager likes any vehicle. :D

The first car I got to drive regularly was my dad's old 57 Plymouth, which he sort of gave to my older brother and me.  It had a push-button automatic transmission which failed while we had it.  It wouldn't go into reverse.  That was fun, always trying to park in a manner that the lack of the ability to drive in reverse wouldn't cause a problem.  :D 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Road Runner said:

The first car I got to drive regularly was my dad's old 57 Plymouth, which he sort of gave to my older brother and me.  It had a push-button automatic transmission which failed while we had it.  It wouldn't go into reverse.  That was fun, always trying to park in a manner that the lack of the ability to drive in reverse wouldn't cause a problem.  :D 

Yup, even worse than a car that won’t start so has to be roll started. That would have been a much bigger problem had we not lived in western pa with hills everywhere.  Like here in much flatter southern nj. :D

• Heart 1

While I am always looking at what would I replace my _____ with if totaled or just want a new vehicle, running that exercise recently combining getting an RV/Trailer.

For an RV Motorhome, must be 4 down towable which eliminates 99% of the vehicles. If had to do today, top of the list would be the Ford Escape Hybrid (other engines don't qualify for 4 down). Then Ford threw a wrench into it, built on the same chassis is the new Maverick Hybrid.  The other advantage with the low inventory and dealers very hesitant to negotiate with any discount...and even charging a premium...I can cut through that instantly with Ford's X-Plan that I don't have similar with GM or Ram.

RV Trailer. Would also be a daily driver so hesitant with anything larger than a 1500. While Ford makes an excellent, capable truck, the old joke on ecoboost is that you can have eco and boost, but not at the same time. 24mpg on the 3.5 turbo hybrid is impressive, but 8 mpg under load towing isn't. That leaves Chevy and Ram 3.0 diesels in the half tons and 2.8 diesel in the mid-size Colorado/Canyon. Over 30mpg highway in a full size truck is unheard of, then attach a trailer and it drops to around 14mpg. Without towing, those trucks get city/highway what my Mini gets and slightly cheaper per gallon as the Mini specifies 91 octane.

Decision, decisions

This new Maverick is tempting. No towing (1000lb) but supports Home Depot/Costco runs better than the confining limits of a SUV while still having the same 40 mpg of the Escape...and 4 down towable. Downsides? For some reason, Ford decided to offer the hybrid in FWD only where the Escape is offered with both FWD and AWD. Also the new trend...no GPS navigation option, dependent on cellular Apple/Android CarPlay.

Maverick.jpg