Goldilocks syndrome strikes again see photo

petitepedal

Colnago CF It is a m10???  I would have to check with my friend Steve who measured it a couple of different ways..also have the fork...not sure if it is a 2011 or 2012????? It is mine to sell....from looking I am thinking...maybe $2500...????

I have I believe a full Campy Electric Super Rec EPS...probably 2012???  the bike is not drilled for the electric.. The group is something like $3400  I was thinking hoping another $2500...but please don't cheat me...

The wheels...I think I mentioned...  What do you guys think!!!

That is what stopped the guy from actually building it...that and his health..bladder cancer..

Today he gave me some jerseys and shorts (baggies with the under pad I believe, I have been way too busy to look...they are still in my car)...I also brought home the stand for working on a bike...not park...however yesterday I brought home just about every park tool someone could ask for including 2 torque wrenches...whatever they are....

He sold me all of this stuff...plus a Soma road bike that I have yet to pick up for less than what 1 wheel costs...I feel very guilty about it...I know he would like me to build up the Campy and wheels for personal use...but DUH that is a waste of beautiful stuff...I am thinking to squeeze as much $$$$ out f it as I can...and give some of it back to him...and either buy my N+1 or put the money toward a trip to the TDF....

That poor guy.  Nice setup, sounds like sweet ride.

About the gear...

Back when I was selling high-end bikes, frames, and wheelsets on the interwebs for a living (2005 - 2007), I learned a few things about selling bikes online, although I had worked in 4 bike shops in sales.  On the internet, there is a sweet spot for selling new equipment that is very different from dealing with it in a store.  

You have to realize that if a customer goes in a shop and buys, he is paying top dollar, but he has some assurances.  First, he is getting the exact equipment he wants, and the retailer will take it back if the wrong size is inadvertently purchased or if there are cosmetic defects.  Secondly, whatever warranty is available with the frame will be honored in the event it is needed, seeing that it is coming from an authorized dealer.  The shop is also a real place with real people and a track record in the area, a psychological comfort spot, if you will.  

On the internet, you are none of those things.  You are an unknown, you are unauthorized, you offer no warranty, you are a chick in an apartment.  To top it off, you really don't know that much about the equipment.  It could be stolen. It could be something other than what you say it is.   All of these things have to be explainable to a reasonable person so that the feel the risk inherent in the purchase is worth the price they are paying, that the deal makes sense.

First, you are going to have to do your homework.  You have to know exactly what you have.  Exactly.   You have to be credible in every way, and be ready to answer questions.  "What size does Colnago call this frame?  What is the bottom bracket drop?  How tall is the headtube?  What is the color code from Colnago for this beast?.  What size seatpost does it come with, if any"  Those kinds of answers are very important essential to the type of person that would be buying this frame.

You would have to know as much about the component group, too, as it compares to mechanical super record, regular record, and of course, Shimano's electric DA groupset.  "How long are the cranks" "How many teeth on the rings"  "What range does the cassette have", thing like that.  The issues you face here is that Campy has a certain following among the tradition-bound italophile types, but electric campy really doesn't qualify.  The company is right, but it is the new kid on the block in electric shifting whereas Shimano has a track record there and is the undisputed leader there.

Then you have the wheels.  A nice-sounding all-arounder of a wheelset, not carbon (iirc), but in any case, too heavy to be a top-notch climbing wheelset and not aero enough (at all, really) for the lone racer, but it has the current nice wide rim and would probably hold up really well.

You have some really, really nice equipment right now.  My advice is to not sell it all together, though, and I will tell you why.  First, the equipment is non-mainstream, your pool of buyers is much smaller who will want just such a frame with just such a group with just such a wheelset.  When you get to this level, people most often have very specific things that they want on their dream bike, and they will typically do what is needed to get it,and don't really want to make too many compromises.  You have a dream bike with a small pool of specific riders who know what they want, and will want to know that everything works in unison and will knock your price down if they have to make those compromises. 

If you sell the items separately, I would list it on Road Bike Review (http://classifieds.roadbikereview.com/index.php), my guess is that it would be easier to find buyers who will already want the specific parts you would be listing.  These are high-end, knowledgeable buyers, typically, or are on their way there.

I would list the frame at $2400 and take $2K for it, you might get less depending on the age.  With frames, current is good, last year is not as good but ok, and two years ago is dead.  The groupset is more commoditized, you might list at $2800 and take $2600. Not sure about the wheelset, I would probably list at 70% of msrp and take whatever you get that is north of 50%.

You could also have the bike built up and see what you can get for it.  You would have it all done at once, which would be nice, but you would leave some cash on the table.  It would also cost you to get it built, and you really have to trust your builder to modify the frame (really, really, really trust them), and the builder would have to have experience with electronic groupsets (preferably campy), so you will have to really dig to find the right person.

I hope this helps.

• Heart 2

Thanks RG...I thought I would list the details out on everything...ask my friend who measured it to give me the size...although I do have another option there...another different resident has a ...I think son-in-law who works and Grand Performance in St. Paul and they are top with Colnago and Campy..(I looked at bikes there and knew I was out of my league and wallet)  I am guessing I could get some info from him.  It makes no sense to me to keep any of it...I assume frame & fork together ? I also have handlebars, a cf seat post and a non cs colnago seat post, 2 saddles, ....a lot is still packaged but not all...and none of it is used....I don't think he used any of the park tools except when he helped assemble the bike Ugly Bob sent me.

Thanks RG...I thought I would list the details out on everything...ask my friend who measured it to give me the size...although I do have another option there...another different resident has a ...I think son-in-law who works and Grand Performance in St. Paul and they are top with Colnago and Campy..(I looked at bikes there and knew I was out of my league and wallet)  I am guessing I could get some info from him.  It makes no sense to me to keep any of it...I assume frame & fork together ? I also have handlebars, a cf seat post and a non cs colnago seat post, 2 saddles, ....a lot is still packaged but not all...and none of it is used....I don't think he used any of the park tools except when he helped assemble the bike Ugly Bob sent me.

Frame and fork together (along with headset), yes!  Talk to that son in law in the good bike shop and get him in person if you can.  Btw, is there any chance that this guy will be able to ride again, ever (or even pull through)?  What were the circumstances of him giving it to you?  Does he need money?  Did you let him know the frame doesn't fit you?  How did he pick you to give everything to?

So many questions!

Good luck Petite!

RG, in my opinion, on a site full of fun and frivolity your post with all the explanations for petite was top notch

I'd like to compliment RG on the serious reply he posted on this site as well.  It was clear he spent a good deal of time to think out the reply and type it!  :2:

Now, as to that site full of fun and frivolity - could you post a link to it please?

• Heart 2