Cervelo, Focus, and now Cannondale?

Razors Edge

4 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

It seems that Dorel & PON really just let the companies do their thing.  I don’t know if this is a yawn, maybe a shrug?

Do they? I don't know the answer. Didn't Dorel buy C-dale and then shut down U.S. production or did that happen before Dorel bought them?

It seems like they would leave most of the brands alone since they are so different. Focus is German, Santa Cruz and C-dale are in the U. S. and Cervelo is Canadian. Does Mongoose still exist other than as a Walmart/Target brand?

2 minutes ago, denniS said:

Do they? I don't know the answer. Didn't Dorel buy C-dale and then shut down U.S. production or did that happen before Dorel bought them?

I’m not 100% sure myself.  

My point was more towards Cannondale always having a reputation for new & innovative ideas and they have continued that trend with the Slate, Lefty Fork and the FS gravel bike (who’s name escapes me).

Same with Cervelo, I thought they would tank when Vroomen & White sold but they seem to have continued their innovative approach. 

There may have been production changes and realignment of leadership but it seems to me they have continued to keep those brands on point.

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

I’m not 100% sure myself.  

My point was more towards Cannondale always having a reputation for new & innovative ideas and they have continued that trend with the Slate, Lefty Fork and the FS gravel bike (who’s name escapes me).

Same with Cervelo, I thought they would tank when Vroomen & White sold but they seem to have continued their innovative approach. 

There may have been production changes and realignment of leadership but it seems to me they have continued to keep those brands on point.

Somebody should buy Niner or maybe they did. That company was in bankruptcy last I read. 

One thing that does bum me out is that PON shuttered the racing division of Gazelle bikes and they only make city bikes now.

The racing bike my family bought me in 1982 is a Gazelle.  I’d like to restore the frame to current standards & put the silver Campy Athena or maybe 105 group on it.

18 hours ago, denniS said:

Does Mongoose still exist other than as a Walmart/Target brand?

Not sure. Do you remember the 80s? :D  I had a mongoose californian like this...wish I still had it. IIRC I had a 1985 They were ahead of their time w/ cross drilled rims. And, made in USA.

image.thumb.png.1dd22314dfeebf1848f2cce02e1743a7.png

• Awesome 1

4 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

Not sure. Do you remember the 80s? :D  I had a mongoose californian like this...wish I still had it. IIRC I had a 1985 They were ahead of their time w/ cross drilled rims. And, made in USA.

image.thumb.png.1dd22314dfeebf1848f2cce02e1743a7.png

Mongoose was such a big player in BMX and MTB. Then they started making crap bikes for Walmart. It totally eroded their brand. I haven't seen a Mongoose in decades. 

Love those drilled rims.

• Heart 1

25 minutes ago, denniS said:

Mongoose was such a big player in BMX and MTB. Then they started making crap bikes for Walmart. It totally eroded their brand. I haven't seen a Mongoose in decades. 

Love those drilled rims.

They sure were. I think only one other kid in the neighborhood had a Mongoose. Others had Haro, GT, Predator, Redline. BMX bikes kicked ass :D

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, bikeman564™ said:

They sure were. I think only one other kid in the neighborhood had a Mongoose. Others had Haro, GT, Predator, Redline. BMX bikes kicked ass :D

My parents bought me a BMX bike as a kid. It was a Cycle Pro “Macho”.  Oh man the shit I got from my buddies on that bike.  They kept singing the Village People’s Macho Man song except replace man with bike… 

Oh to have had a mongoose…

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

My parents bought me a BMX bike as a kid. It was a Cycle Pro “Macho”.  Oh man the shit I got from my buddies on that bike.  They kept singing the Village People’s Macho Man song except replace man with bike… 

Oh to have had a mongoose…

I can't remember what the Californian cost, but I recall it wasn't cheap. IIRC I paid a portion of it from money I had saved, and my parents paid the rest. Growing up, it was probably the single best and most used thing I had.

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I can't remember what the Californian cost, but I recall it wasn't cheap. IIRC I paid a portion of it from money I had saved, and my parents paid the rest. Growing up, it was probably the single best and most used thing I had.

That BMX bike got used a lot for sure and with limited means I’m sure it was an expensive purchase for them.  I really did appreciate the the bike but faaahk, why did it have to be called Macho….

• Heart 1

25 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

That BMX bike got used a lot for sure and with limited means I’m sure it was an expensive purchase for them.  I really did appreciate the the bike but faaahk, why did it have to be called Macho….

Searching the internets I found this for the Expert. I think its for an '83

image.png.47fd15e1346825b852df2cd84a8ac073.png

check this current sale out :o  this was exactly what  I had

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324822480589

14 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

Searching the internets I found this for the Expert. I think its for an '83

image.png.47fd15e1346825b852df2cd84a8ac073.png

check this current sale out :o  this was exactly what  I had

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324822480589

Holy Schmoly!  My brothers best friend growing up bought a Cooks Bros cruiser style BMX bike in the early 80’s.  He knew somebody who worked for Cooks Bros and he got one of the first ones made.

Fast forward 40+ years and some medical issues forced him to sell some of his toys.  He  ended up getting $7K for it and said he could have gotten more had he really tried but he didn’t want to scare off the buyer.

• Heart 1

14 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Holy Schmoly!  My brothers best friend growing up bought a Cooks Bros cruiser style BMX bike in the early 80’s.  He knew somebody who worked for Cooks Bros and he got one of the first ones made.

Fast forward 40+ years and some medical issues forced him to sell some of his toys.  He  ended up getting $7K for it and said he could have gotten more had he really tried but he didn’t want to scare off the buyer.

I heard from a couple people that original 80s BMX stuff is worth a lot. BTW, I had the pads on my Mongoose. Those were an option :D