The crazy day will never end.

maddmaxx

My neighbor across the street is 90 with very limited hearing and limited mobility.  Her phone crapped out.  I just spent an hour troubleshooting, deciding that the problem was on the line and burning through the Indian call center response from Frontier.  They wanted to send a tech out next monday.

No no no asshole this is an elderly lady whose only communication option is her phone.  So now they will expedite the service call.  When.......they don't know.  Now my wife's cell phone is the point of contact for all the service information for the neighbor.

Did I mention that Frontier sucks and they really do deserve the reputation.  Frankly I'm sick of dealing with Indian call centers and I promise that's a very fast way to get me to drop my business with you.  At least Xfinity sends me to the Texas call center.  That's not quite as bad.  They are the cheapest company around which is probably why my neighbor has their service.  She is totally unable to deal with the technology however and being part deaf has no chance with a foot in mouth word dribbling idiot who speaks English as a third language.

Rant ends.

• Heart 2
  • Hugs 1

Did the foot in mouth call center employee listen to a single word in the conversation.

No, he did not.

The service appointment is for next week.

Frontier is probably the absolute worst provider in the country and on the planet.  I had heard stories but had never dealt with these assholes before.  Somebody should sue them.

On 10/12/2021 at 6:53 PM, maddmaxx said:

She is totally unable to deal with the technology however and being part deaf has no chance with a foot in mouth word dribbling idiot who speaks English as a third language.

What's your third language and are you good enough at it to hold down a job where it is the primary one you speak? :scratchhead:

On 10/12/2021 at 8:46 PM, maddmaxx said:

Frontier is probably the absolute worst provider in the country and on the planet.  I had heard stories but had never dealt with these assholes before.  Somebody should sue them.

My guess is that Frontier does suck, and folks should think twice before signing up with them.  Seems by the time a problem crops up, it is too late to expect great customer service :(

Sometimes, though, Verizon or Comcast can get out and do an install of their service fairly quick, so maybe the neighbor would be willing to consider other options?

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

My guess is that Frontier does suck, and folks should think twice before signing up with them.  Seems by the time a problem crops up, it is too late to expect great customer service :(

Sometimes, though, Verizon or Comcast can get out and do an install of their service fairly quick, so maybe the neighbor would be willing to consider other options?

You realize that at 93 she went with the least expensive provider and really doesn't understand how to deal with this shit.  She wouldn't even begin to understand an Indian call center employee and even I only get about 1 word out of 2 and often have to ask for repeats.  IMO the call center just want's to get you off the line so they can complete a form and get paid.

When I explained Frontier to her she just shook her head in confusion.  Why wouldn't they service what they sell?????

9 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

You realize that at 93 she went with the least expensive provider and really doesn't understand how to deal with this shit.  She wouldn't even begin to understand an Indian call center employee and even I only get about 1 word out of 2 and often have to ask for repeats.  IMO the call center just want's to get you off the line so they can complete a form and get paid.

When I explained Frontier to her she just shook her head in confusion.  Why wouldn't they service what they sell?????

Sort of why I'm saying Verizon or Comcast are the better options available to her.  Frontier is not going to get better, and Verizon and Comcast both offer similar packages.

At 93, some folks are sharp as tacks and some aren't, so I was trying not to assume any cognitive limits.  I can't think of a reason she should continue with Frontier if other options are available. Is Frontier the ONLY choice she has or the only cheap option?

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Sort of why I'm saying Verizon or Comcast are the better options available to her.  Frontier is not going to get better, and Verizon and Comcast both offer similar packages.

At 93, some folks are sharp as tacks and some aren't, so I was trying not to assume any cognitive limits.  I can't think of a reason she should continue with Frontier if other options are available. Is Frontier the ONLY choice she has or the only cheap option?

You would have to ask her about that.  Oh, sorry, she has no internet or phone for you to ask on.  She has no cognitive limits, she simply isn't technically knowledgeable.  You would probably consider her a throw away oldie.

2 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

You would have to ask her about that.  Oh, sorry, she has no internet or phone for you to ask on.  She has no cognitive limits, she simply isn't technically knowledgeable.  You would probably consider her a throw away oldie.

She is YOUR neighbor, so you ought to know the answer to the question of what internet, TV, and phone packages are available in your neighborhood.

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

My guess is that Frontier does suck, and folks should think twice before signing up with them.

Frontier was the phone utility for my old home.   Getting them out for a repair was difficult at best.    I'll guess Frontier is the land line provider in the area.

I always got upset about their 'policy' where they would state something like;  'If we come to your home, and we find the problem is with your wiring, there will be a charge for the service call.'

The problems I had were ALL problems on the Frontier system.   Their wires were so old they, started to fail more often. 

Our new home is in AT&T service territory for landlines.   We skipped that.  We just use our cell phones, and our internet for wi-fi calling for better quality calls in the home.

I'm glad I'm done with Frontier.

My dad who is 91 had his landline changed to Comcast, with the same old landline number.  My brother ordered that for him 1 or 2 years ago.  

37 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

Frontier was the phone utility for my old home.   Getting them out for a repair was difficult at best.    I'll guess Frontier is the land line provider in the area.

I always got upset about their 'policy' where they would state something like;  'If we come to your home, and we find the problem is with your wiring, there will be a charge for the service call.'

The problems I had were ALL problems on the Frontier system.   Their wires were so old they, started to fail more often. 

Our new home is in AT&T service territory for landlines.   We skipped that.  We just use our cell phones, and our internet for wi-fi calling for better quality calls in the home.

I'm glad I'm done with Frontier.

My dad who is 91 had his landline changed to Comcast, with the same old landline number.  My brother ordered that for him 1 or 2 years ago.  

Not a land line.  Frontier is one of the cable providers in the area and her phone service is all she has left of their service.  Because she has no cable anymore she has some sort of internet box outside the house on the wall.  IMO that's a problem because I can't even get into it to reboot and I don't know if there is a power connection hidden somewhere in the house that would do the same.

2 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Not a land line.  Frontier is one of the cable providers in the area and her phone service is all she has left of their service.  Because she has no cable anymore she has some sort of internet box outside the house on the wall.  IMO that's a problem because I can't even get into it to reboot and I don't know if there is a power connection hidden somewhere in the house that would do the same.

That does suck...   Frontier was horrible as a landline provider.  This sounds much worse.  

From the little I know about voip calls, I assume there has to be a power source for the device that is inside that locked box.   

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

We have enough lock pickers on this forum someone should be able to open that box.

I was able to open the Frontier box for my landline, with a little effort.  I use to disconnect their wires from my home wires, and then wire in a RJ11 phone jack and connect one of my phones to see if the problem remained (which means it was Frontier's issue) or not.  It always was their problem.  Then I was ready to dispute (if needed) the $85 service charge if it was my wires.

Then the bastards changed the box to one I could not open, during one service call.  

Yeah Frontier sucks....

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

Then the bastards changed the box to one I could not open, during one service call.  

The power company put a power commander box on the side of my house for my 80 gallon water tank. Supposedly if there was hi demand for electric they would send out a signal to that box to cut the power to my water heater for a short time until the demand went down. We never went without hot water so we figured everything was working as planned.

One day we didn’t have any hot water. I checked the heating elements and we were getting no power to them. I checked the breaker and it wasn’t tripped. I went outside and took that power commander box apart. It was fake, the 220 line came out through the wall, went into that box where it made a u-turn and went back through the wall again and went to the water heater. 
I took a second look at the breaker box, there was one 220 breaker that was unmarked and turned off. I turned that one back on and we had hot water.

Then I remembered I was adding more 220 circuits and had to move everything around to make room. I must have moved the water heater up one space but didn’t have a marker handy to Mark it, I’ll remember. :facepalm:

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Longjohn said:

We have enough lock pickers on this forum someone should be able to open that box.

I'd be a lock breaker with absolutely no hesitation.  Screw Frontier - if they won't come fix the issue, and I can, I'm smashing that lock (picking, cutting, otherwise removing) and seeing if the inside reveals any useful info.

I'm guessing there is also a circuit "main" for the whole home, so if you don't mind resetting all her clocks, it might also reset the VOIP doodad.

12 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I'd be a lock breaker with absolutely no hesitation.  Screw Frontier - if they won't come fix the issue, and I can, I'm smashing that lock (picking, cutting, otherwise removing) and seeing if the inside reveals any useful info.

I'm guessing there is also a circuit "main" for the whole home, so if you don't mind resetting all her clocks, it might also reset the VOIP doodad.

Just now, Philander Seabury said:

Well I’ve always heard the guideline “never put anything smaller than your elbow in your ear”, but never anything similar for your nose!  

EXACTLY.  It's as if god is saying, "Hey Morans! Pick your darn nose! I literally gave you the perfect toolset and built it right into your anatomy!"

Of course, at this moment, @Randomguy and/or @jsharr are looking at their thumbs and considering the place it fits on their bodies :o

12 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

EXACTLY.  It's as if god is saying, "Hey Morans! Pick your darn nose! I literally gave you the perfect toolset and built it right into your anatomy!"

Of course, at this moment, @Randomguy and/or @jsharr are looking at their thumbs and considering the place it fits on their bodies :o

I know where it fits.

2 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

Ouch AF!  Seriously? 

Not all Indian/Pakistani call center employees speak English in any understandable form.  They don't need to for their job classification of "check the box" move along customer service.  It is designed to be low cost, not customer friendly.

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

Not all Indian/Pakistani call center employees speak English in any understandable form.  They don't need to for their job classification of "check the box" move along customer service.  It is designed to be low cost, not customer friendly.

But you see that "idiot" was likely a poor characterization?  In your own words, he "speaks English as a third language" and he has a job he seemed to be doing well - of "check the box" move along customer service.

It's hard to place that as "idiocy".  Sure, Frontier is awful - if that's their designed customer service experience - but the person on the other end doing EXACTLY what is expected (from his paying employer) and in his THIRD language????  Man, that misses the mark for "truthiness".