Why Hold Parents Liable....

Nate

if thier kid bullies somebody who kills themselves?

sure, its sad a kid killed themselves, but seriously, online bullying????

why not hold the parents of the kid who killed themselves liable for raising such a weak minded idiot for a kid?

this is no rant, I'm serious...when I was a kid we all were taught how to handle kids calling us names. Trust me, kids were meaner when I was growing up. We had professional bullies brought in by the school district to keep us in line. Getting beat up every day for your lunch money was how boys were expected to learn how to fight. Boys were also expected to fight. If you were bullied, your dad told you to go and "stand up to them"

That meant get in a fight and physically beat them up or get your ass kicked until you figured it out

Now everybody's going faggot. I don't mean gay. I mean going sissy. Whining and crying and expecting mommy to come and make those mean people go away. What crap! What are you idiots going to do when the Chinese come over here looking for all that money we owe them? Do you think they'll come over here and make inappropriate remarks on your Facebook page?

Listen, the reason 40 is the new 20 is because 20 years olds are all *******. I'm nearly 50 years old and I could whip one of those punks on the WAY to a fight

Maybe if mommy would just let thier precious little angel get his head stuffed down a toilet (the swirrley is an old school bully classic) he wouldn't want to commit suicide over a MySpace page

see what I'm getting at? if Internet comments are the worst weapon your kid faces, then he is going to be a sissy. What's going to happen when somebody takes a baseball bat to him? Will he take it away from them and wrap it around their head like a wooden turbin they way an American man is supposed to? Or will he get his butt kicked and file assult charges like a DB

your choice, supermom

what really pisses me off is these prancing little sissies making all the rules the rest of America has to live by. I say we should force our kids to flame idiots on the interwebs. they'll never learn any other way. We should have "Bully Appreciation Day" in our public schools, and make boxing a required class like it used to be

sam_the_eagle.jpg?w=420

Wow, so much wrongness there, I don't know where to begin.  I do take exception to a few comments though.

"why not hold the parents of the kid who killed themselves liable for raising such a weak minded idiot for a kid?"

Have you ever suffered from a serious mental illness, or considered / attempted suicide?  When I was a kid I might have agreed it's a weakness, now I understand it's a real disease with real consequences and it happens to real people like me and you.

"Maybe if mommy would just let thier precious little angel get his head stuffed down a toilet (the swirrley is an old school bully classic) he wouldn't want to commit suicide over a MySpace page"

So my choice is to fight (and risk seriously injuring someone else or myself) or be physically / psychologically abused?  I agree parent's need to teach their kids they won't always win, and there aren't prizes for just finishing, but the answer need not be violence.

"I say we should force our kids to flame idiots on the interwebs. they'll never learn any other way. We should have "Bully Appreciation Day" in our public schools, and make boxing a required class like it used to be"

An eye for an eye mentality only perpetuates the violence.  This is not a solution.

I guess I understand what you are trying to say, but I don't agree with you.  I was not a small guy growing up and suspect I could have doled out a few ass whoopins if I chose to.  I was mean with my words instead, and I still have those scars.  I know I hurt people in other ways than with my fists, and I wish them peace now.

A few quotes and words of wisdom from someone much wiser than I:

I cannot teach you violence, as I do not myself believe in it. I can only teach you not to bow your heads before any one even at the cost of your life.

I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent.

Mahatma Gandhi

what i'm saying is that if you raise a kid that is so weak that online comments drive them to suicide, that is not someone else's fault

you are responsibile for raising kids strong enough to face the world as it is

teaching kids not to be violent is one thing, but to try and legislate violence out of the schoolyard does kids a disservice. You need to learn these lessons young before everyone is strong enough to actually hurt each other.

• Heart 1

Your post is very offensive and you appear to have zero tolerance for people that may be less than perfect.  Not everyone's brains work perfectly.

you realize a weaker person would kill themseves over this sort of reply, don't you? you are very lucky that you tore into a redneck and not a suburban 20 something social media addict

• Heart 1

I suspect lawyers would disagree.  They are your responsibility until they turn 18.

Yeah, but does any parent know all that their kids are up to all the time?  No possible way to.  Maybe you have to give them a home and some roosting materials, but to hold parents liable because their kids are little turds?  I don't think so, all teenagers are pretty much terrible people.

I guess if the parents are aware of the bullying and don't do a thing about it, then I can see a friendly neighborhood ass-kicking of the non-parenting parent would be in order.

I didn't tear into you.  Believe me, you will know if I ever I tear into you. 

It was an observation and a statement of fact that some people can have mental issues. 

In all seriousness, I could develop brain issues due to my medical condition.  It has nothing to do with the way I have been raised. 

You talk about how country people look out for each other and care for each other.  How about thinking that way about strangers too?  Treat everyone kindly.  It isn't such a crazy idea.

Nate, it's not about raising weak/strong kids.  We're all wired differently.  Our brain chemistry and how it works varies from person to person.  It's based on genetics, education, experience, diet, exercise; multiple factors come together to develop how we think, feel and process sensory input.. Sounds like it worked out well for you, good.  Other people have dificulties with different situations.  Here on the forum, what if everyone here posted that you were worthless and could never contribute anything meaningful to the human race.  What if that went on day after day with no end.  Your response to the negative input would be based on multiple factors that you used to develop your defense mechanisms that you use today.  Knowing that we're all different in how we live our lives allows me to have empathy for others and not call them weak sissies who weren't raised right.

You talk about how country people look out for each other and care for each other.  How about thinking that way about strangers too?  Treat everyone kindly.  It isn't such a crazy idea.

This deserves a  "well said".

And btw Nate, I was raised rural. No, country folk can be azzez to 'their own' too.

easy, Z

people want to blame somebody when somebody commits suicide over internet comments. That's ridiculous.

people commit suicide. Who knows why. My best friend growing up killed himself when we were in our 20s. You can't go holding people liable for the actions of someone who may or may not even be wired up right

and I do think that parents need to teach their kids how to cope with being flamed on the internet

that said, as rants go, this one is only half assed, so I am sorry if anybody got upset. I take no liability for anyone who decides to end it all over this, because as rants go, this one just isn't worth it

put the rope away and take the chair back to the dinning room

Nate, I follow MMA. Fallon Fox just lost to Ashlee Evans Smith. The comments on the MMA sites by those with 'internet courage' are simply astounding.  But Fallon is pretty amazing. She rolls with the punches.

But not everyone can do that.

I agree with you in that I can't see parents 'always' being to blame for the actions of their kids. But as much as you say parents have a responsibitliy to raise their children to be able "to take it", parents should also have the responsibility to teach their kids not to '"dish it out". If as  a parent it was my role to ensure my children are tough, it was also my role to ensure my children aren't bullies.

Do you see that?

Z, I know that I went over the top ranting away, but there really is something that I'm trying to come to terms with here. Suicides aside, I really do believe that its necessary in elementary school to allow kids to roughhouse. Being from Texas, a fair fist fight is rough-housing. Like a hockey fight.

I don't think that people have to be tough, but life does require strength. Facing adversity, dissappointment and all. We all know that

I teach 7th grade CCD, and I get to see actual kids all the time and I know that "kids today" really aren't that bad. I'd rather work with some of the 12 year olds I've met than some of the people we have at the office.

but I am acutely aware that I grew up not only in a different time, but with much more freedom

People didn't make a federal case out of kids stuff. That is, the stuff that kids were doing. When I was a kid, police would bring you home when you were chucking rocks at signs, not haul you in and charge your dad with destruction of state property

so there is a lot of this society today I honestly don't understand.

Nate, I know what you're saying. I don't necesarily agree with all of it, but I do know what you're trying to get at.

This is the world we live in. And as much as I may hate the violence that exists, it does exist and we do have to live through it.

But there are souls who see the world as it is and believe it doesn't have to be this way. And there are those children that the harsh realities of life affect more deeply than others. And I do think parents have a responsibility to teach their children kindness.

I came up in a world that I am sure was similar to yours. But I saw how the harshness then could ruined some kids.