Apparently, I Talk - A LOT!

Razors Edge

Usually I ride alone which is the most convenient for me and keeps its simple.  But, I do ride with other folks, and I realized after a couple rides with a buddy of mine, that I talk a shit ton during those rides. 

When you're on a ride with someone else, how much do you talk?  For me, with the exception of fast downhills, I'm pretty much in a conversation the whole time.  One time, on a  ride with my wife, she was suckered into a very steep climb.  She was PISSED at me :o and I was just noodling along next to her trying to have a conversation to distract her from it.  She told me to just shut up. :dontknow:

Anyway, sitting in a room or office, I'm generally fairly quiet-ish, but on a bike ride???? Babbling away.

How about you?

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Usually I ride alone which is the most convenient Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,

I'm sorry. Did you say something?

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2
  • Haha 1

I will talk some, depending on the ride. On faster group rides, I don't talk much. On casual rides, I visit a lot. 

When my son moved to Lincoln, he was starting to get pretty fast at running. Some Team Nebraska members asked him to join them on their training runs. They said they ran at a "conversational pace". Turns out that was about 6:30 miles! He adapted and gor comfortable with it. 

When he ran the Twin Cities Marathon in 2009, he was the only male Team Nebraska member in the marathon. Another guy was running a similar pace so my son tried to strike up a conversation with him. About 8 miles in, he realized he was doing almost all the talking. Figured he was probably pissing the guy off so he shut up. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

When you're on a ride with someone else, how much do you talk? 

Depends who I'm with and when I seen them last. I typically ride solo recently, but I'll sometimes cross paths w/ a friend and ride w/ them for a bit. Then we chat lots.  Also depends on the type of ride. I've done pace line rides...I don't like these. Too dangerous, requires too much concentration, and not social at all. But on slower type rides, or gravel rides where we can ride 4 wide, we chat a lot.

• Heart 2

Just now, groupw said:

When he ran the Twin Cities Marathon in 2009, he was the only male Team Nebraska member in the marathon. Another guy was running a similar pace so my son tried to strike up a conversation with him. About 8 miles in, he realized he was doing almost all the talking. Figured he was probably pissing the guy off so he shut up. 

Yeah, it's hard to tell if that is irritating or not to other folks.  On one hand, I see it as "visiting" or just being friendly, but on the other hand, some folks might be struggling and the thought of talking or processing what  other folks are saying is not much fun on a 10% climb or whatever.

Usually, if I am talking to strangers I happen to pass on a ride, it is even tougher, as I usually slow way down to match their pace so they can comfortably speak.  Breaking the conversation usually means riding away quickly, and that feels rude.

3 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

Depends who I'm with and when I seen them last. I typically ride solo recently, but I'll sometimes cross paths w/ a friend and ride w/ them for a bit. Then we chat lots.  Also depends on the type of ride. I've done pace line rides...I don't like these. Too dangerous, requires too much concentration, and not social at all. But on slower type rides, or gravel rides where we can ride 4 wide, we chat a lot.

You're on the list now, buddy :angry:

image.thumb.png.15f53a0425c2c31e94336e84858dee8e.png

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Yeah I do talk a bit, especially when riding with my friend or like last weekend with my cousins.  It’s just as much a catch up session as it is a ride.

I talk some to my wife when we ride but it’s not like I haven’t seen her recently & need to catch up on stuff. 

I don’t talk much while riding. Sometimes I find myself with a chatty person, I will up the pace a little to reach the zone where they can’t talk much. What I cannot stand are the people who ride with speakers and play their favorite music, assuming that it’s everyone’s favorite music.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Old No. 7 said:

What I cannot stand are the people who ride with speakers and play their favorite music, assuming that it’s everyone’s favorite music.

They are everywhere!!!! :angry:

Of course, a person playing their music for all the world to hear but who might actually hear and notice you as you come up from behind VERSUS the self-absorbed headphone/airpod completely unaware to the world folks who are just accidents waiting to happen :(

10 minutes ago, denniS said:

I solve a lot of worldly problems on rides with friends. People need to listen to us on big climbs. You can solve a lot on a three hour mtb ride. 

Sadly, I come up with all sorts of thoughts, ideas, answers, etc. on rides, but by the time I get home, my mind is clear and I remember next to nothing about that stuff. :( or :) ?  Probably for the better.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

I don’t talk much while riding. Sometimes I find myself with a chatty person, I will up the pace a little to reach the zone where they can’t talk much. What I cannot stand are the people who ride with speakers and play their favorite music, assuming that it’s everyone’s favorite music.

The big rides that I do like GOBA has a lot of those people. It’s unlikely that we are riding the same speed. If I come up on someone playing music I hurry up and get around them and put some distance between us. If they come up on me from behind I slow down and let them get away from me. I did come up on one guy playing music I really liked. I slowed my pace for about twenty minutes listening to his music. I told him I liked his music before I moved on.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

They are everywhere!!!! :angry:

Of course, a person playing their music for all the world to hear but who might actually hear and notice you as you come up from behind VERSUS the self-absorbed headphone/airpod completely unaware to the world folks who are just accidents waiting to happen :(

I was riding a climb that wasn't bad but I was in the lower end grinding. I hear some music behind me and don't pay much attention. Then it starts getting closer & I'm thinking this guy/gal is killing it. WTH am I doing wrong? Finally they pass me. Hippie in tie dye is just about soft pedaling up the climb & I'm going wtf???  Then I glance at the down tube....'lectric. Bastard

• Haha 2

I don't like to talk at all during rides. Neither does Gina, Aimee and a couple other riders that ride with us at times. Our rides are more like let's get our exercise in the talk like crazy at breaktime.

One chick I have been riding with, or HAD BEEN, wanted to talk about all the men stalking her on rides, ex cycling friends. Kind of figured out her game and really tired of it so I just cut her loose. I'd rather just go ride then talk after.  FTR, some chick worried about ex guy cycling friends stalk her but she shows up at the bike rides where she knows they will be and shares a hotel room with one of them to save money. But she doesn't like him that way and nothing happened but she practically humps his leg when she sees him.  Free ride type of chick, not enjoyable conversation.

My other friend likes to talk at breaks but he keeps it going for long periods. Night rides of like 20 miles, I can fit in about 1 1/2 hours whereas if he is along for the ride, might take an extra hour. Most times Gina is waiting for me to eat dinner.

Other weekend rides, we have had a lady ride along. She starts asking questions of Gina and Aimee about recipes, cookies, etc. But none of us want to talk. Her hubby rides along and neither of them will take the front into the wind so I'll lift the pace so that she has to concentrate more on her riding than flapping her gums. :D

So  no, rarely talk on our rides unless they are verbal call outs of hazards.

13 hours ago, Mr Beanz said:

I don't like to talk at all during rides. Neither does Gina, Aimee and a couple other riders that ride with us at times. Our rides are more like let's get our exercise in the talk like crazy at breaktime.

Yeah, as 95+% of my rides are solo endeavors, I'm pretty much doing it in silence and for either exercise and/or piece of mind.  Factor out group rides almost altogether, and my rides with others are often about catching up with friends as well as the ride, but not a "work out".  So, I get exercise albeit at a lower intensity, but then get my "face time" with folks I might not otherwise see much of.  Separately, my rides with my wife are usually casual fun rides, as she's not into road riding, and prefers riding for the fun of it.  That means the pace is slower, and I have lots of time and energy to talk if there is something to discuss. Luckily, she is also happy riding in silence and watching the scenery roll by, so I can just do my own thing. :D

• Heart 1

I talk a lot.  Have my whole life, and it says it on every report card I ever got.  Being a "W" and kids seated alphabetically at the start of the year I was always seated in the back left corner.  By Halloween I was moved to right in front of or beside the teachers desk.  I was married to a teacher before I found out that was not because I was their favorite.

I don't talk on rides....., if you have the wind to talk..., you are not going hard enough.  

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Zephyr said:

By Halloween I was moved to right in front of or beside the teachers desk. 

I don't even know if it was Halloween by the time I was front and center!  My teachers loved me, but damn I was a tough one to teach. :D

On rides with a buddy, I don't usually like to make it too painful - for them or me! I'm kind that way :)

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

, and prefers riding for the fun of it.  That means the pace is slower, 

Gina rides for the fun of it, so do I. :happyanim:

Since I am faster than Gina, I don't want to say stronger because if she applied herself, she'd kick my butt I think. But since I ride more and better fitness level (better put I guess) I stay at the front seeing it is windy most times. Me fighting the headwind kind of evens out our efforts.  

Only bad thing is that the others take advantage of it and want to be on Gina's wheel the entire time and not having to take a turn at the front.  We've had partners get into conflict over who is going to be third wheel. Really? Some crazy people out here. :wacko: