Bike & equipment shortages

ChrisL

7 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Are you seeing any shortages & consumables?  I generally stock up around now & need tires & some other stuff.  I haven’t started shopping yet…

HA!

I'm sure there are shortages for sure, I just haven't been buying bike stuff too much.  I saw bike part shortages all through 2020 though, and that all seemed to ease a bit into Spring of 2021.

But, I told RG to start his x-mas shopping NOW!  and that all goes for everyone else as well. Get your x-mas/hanukkah/kwanza/festivus shopping done ASAP.

• Heart 1

Yeah I should probably start shopping.  When I was on the Catalina Island ferry last week the number of container ships parked waiting to offload goods was amazing. We can see 20+ boats lined up from the beach but they are not only stacked up North to South but 20+ miles deep East to West. 

My LBS still can’t get bikes. He gets maybe six a week. He has over 200 on backorder. When I talked to him about getting a different cassette for my Lynskey I asked him if he wanted to order it for me. He said he is still having a terrible time getting parts and suggested I order it myself. I ordered it from Pro Cyclist and had it in two days. When I shop online I see a lot of stuff out of stock but so far if I keep looking I find someone who has what I need in stock.

• Heart 1

Just get used to not buying stuff.  Shortages on everything are going to continue at least through next year.  It's global, the kind of thing that happens when a deadly disease affects billions of people.  I'm actually more concerned that so few people saw this coming.

Oh, and price increases, too, because that's what happens when stuff is harder to get.  Inflation.  And since consumption will go down, that means rececssion.

Otherwise, enjoy the rest of your day!

Shortages are everywhere here. Was hoping to get a new car before summer was over, car lots are all empty. Stores like Wallymart have empty shelves. At work we cant complete orders until we get back ordered parts. Our suppliers cant send us our parts because they're waiting for stuff, etc, etc. I bought a used motorcycle because the closest new one was four states away. And don't get me started on snowmobiling. Folks who ordered new snowmobiles last spring were told not to hold their breath for delivery this winter. And many already sold their old snowmobiles. Last winter I tried to find a new shock absorber for my wife's snowmobile. There were none to be had. I finally got a used one after the season was over that my dealer had stashed in the back of his home garage. Ten months later the new shocks are still back ordered.  

20 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

The evening news has been full of pictures to hundreds of ships at anchor off the west coast ports where they are lined up to deliver containers of goods to a system that cannot handle the flow.

Vancouver right now is also undergoing construction of expanding port facilities. 

https://www.fr24news.com/a/2021/10/supply-chain-fears-in-canada-and-us-escalate-ahead-of-buying-season.html

I plan to order a bike tire..wouldn't be surprised I won't get until next yr. which is ok for now.  Also for whatever bizarre reason it's been difficult to find choice short fingered cycling gloves..for women. I've gone to 3 bike stores already in past 4 months. Must be the popularity of cycling by newbies and supply chain problems.

2 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Also for whatever bizarre reason it's been difficult to find choice short fingered cycling gloves..for women. I've gone to 3 bike stores already in past 4 months. Must be the popularity of cycling by newbies and supply chain problems.

I ordered winter cycling gloves size XXL that were on backorder about a month ago. They came in yesterday. A perfect fit.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

The evening news has been full of pictures to hundreds of ships at anchor off the west coast ports where they are lined up to deliver containers of goods to a system that cannot handle the flow.

Yeah - that's a regular issue for a while now. Increasing to a 24/7 schedule for processing of the containers to increase the flow of goods off those ships will help.  A relatively small increase in throughput is expected, but better than none.  The supply chain is really a pretty big global issue, but it's also interesting that we have shortages in stores, but clearly a crap ton of stuff sitting on those ships waiting to be distributed.  What's the full picture?

I would like a new road helmet, but all that's available is black, white and lime green. I want a red one to coordinate with the trim on the road bike. Not finding anything at the moment. 

Last time I bought tires for the road bike, I had to settle for a set of Schwalbe endurance tires. I actually think they will be good for road conditions in the fall and winter. We'll see where I'm at in the spring and what tires I might want/need then. 

14 minutes ago, groupw said:

I would like a new road helmet, but all that's available is black, white and lime green. I want a red one to coordinate with the trim on the road bike. Not finding anything at the moment. 

Last time I bought tires for the road bike, I had to settle for a set of Schwalbe endurance tires. I actually think they will be good for road conditions in the fall and winter. We'll see where I'm at in the spring and what tires I might want/need then. 

White seems to be real popular now. I think it looks goofy and make you look like a dork. Maybe it’s popular because that’s all they had? I always go with black except for one blue helmet I bought because my road bike was blue.

13 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

White seems to be real popular now. I think it looks goofy and make you look like a dork. Maybe it’s popular because that’s all they had? I always go with black except for one blue helmet I bought because my road bike was blue.

The black and blue combo on bike equipment is a good choice.  :unsure:

• Heart 1