These Wally World Socks

Mr. Beanz

So a couple months ago, I was looking for some cycling socks. I found several on ebay but man, my head thinks right away, price gouging. One pair of sock, $15 ?? To top it off, I hate the look of the long calf socks. First thing I think of is an old man lifting his dress slacks showing off his dress socks, just not a purty sigh imo. I used to get 3 pair PI socks for $15, or a pair for $5, maybe a good sale for $3. 

So I was about the pull the trigger on a couple pair but one night, strolling through Wally World when Gina spotted a clearance section on the wall next to the undies and such.  Saw a 3 pack of socks, on sale for $2. :o

There were 4 packs of socks, a bit thicker than the PI socks but better imo seeing some cycling socks are too thin for my taste. These are the air wicking material but just a tad thicker, maybe because they are newer but I would not know unless placed side by side.

Checked them out and it's ago. We bought all four of the 3 packs for $2. Then a couple of all white packs for $4.

So there, 18 pair of socks for $16!!!!! :happyanim:

I really like the way they feel, a bit more cushion and no problem with sweat wicking.  Some are black, some are dark grey, light grey, then the white. Once the cycling shoe is on, can't see the lower patterns so it just looks like a black sock just like my PI socks without the logo. AND not to mention, these fit well for a size 13 shoe.  Some of the cycling socks, DeFeet, Cycling Guy (?) pull way down at the Achilles though being labeled as proper size.

I love them but the I have to laugh every time I put them on. I can not get my self to put the R on my left or the L on my right. Some are exact colors and patters so when I get them out of my sock drawer, I have to make sure they are a match. One left and one right. 

Just can not get myself to do it wrong! :lol: Cheap and well made, love me some Wally World!

BTW, gotten Russell base layers for $10 in the past, and on sale for as low as $3 post season. Have about 20 of them and some Nike, Under Armour and they are all the same other than the $40 price tag. No difference here in performance with Cali weather.

20210814_143828.JPG

20211014_114716.jpg

• Heart 2

I wear ankle height socks (with sneakers) I got a Target for reasonable prices, and could use them on rides.  I like a little thinner for riding, so they wouldn't be my go-to, but they are fine.  I have a bunch of Swiftwick ones I like that are National Park themed. Black, mid-calf, thin, and comfortable.  Very well made, but not cheap.

• Heart 1

I just stocked up on several Smartwool PHD socks.  They are spendy but I wear them daily and they are pushing 4 years old.  So far no holes or stretched.  I had to toss several PI and Stance socks recently due to holes.  

I’m good with $15 socks (each) if they wear well and the Smartwools do. 

• Heart 1

I started using  some of my cheaper wicking socks, then I started using true running socks. Belaga is a favorite. With my old cycling shoes, I needed a little thicker sock because I have narrow feet. When I got my Giros, they fit better so I'm using thinner socks. At least until the cold hits. Then I will use some SmartWool socks under the windguards. 

3 hours ago, Mr Beanz said:

So a couple months ago, I was looking for some cycling socks. I found several on ebay but man, my head thinks right away, price gouging. One pair of sock, $15 ?? To top it off, I hate the look of the long calf socks. First thing I think of is an old man lifting his dress slacks showing off his dress socks, just not a purty sigh imo. I used to get 3 pair PI socks for $15, or a pair for $5, maybe a good sale for $3. 

So I was about the pull the trigger on a couple pair but one night, strolling through Wally World when Gina spotted a clearance section on the wall next to the undies and such.  Saw a 3 pack of socks, on sale for $2. :o

There were 4 packs of socks, a bit thicker than the PI socks but better imo seeing some cycling socks are too thin for my taste. These are the air wicking material but just a tad thicker, maybe because they are newer but I would not know unless placed side by side.

Checked them out and it's ago. We bought all four of the 3 packs for $2. Then a couple of all white packs for $4.

So there, 18 pair of socks for $16!!!!! :happyanim:

I really like the way they feel, a bit more cushion and no problem with sweat wicking.  Some are black, some are dark grey, light grey, then the white. Once the cycling shoe is on, can't see the lower patterns so it just looks like a black sock just like my PI socks without the logo. AND not to mention, these fit well for a size 13 shoe.  Some of the cycling socks, DeFeet, Cycling Guy (?) pull way down at the Achilles though being labeled as proper size.

I love them but the I have to laugh every time I put them on. I can not get my self to put the R on my left or the L on my right. Some are exact colors and patters so when I get them out of my sock drawer, I have to make sure they are a match. One left and one right. 

Just can not get myself to do it wrong! :lol: Cheap and well made, love me some Wally World!

BTW, gotten Russell base layers for $10 in the past, and on sale for as low as $3 post season. Have about 20 of them and some Nike, Under Armour and they are all the same other than the $40 price tag. No difference here in performance with Cali weather.

20210814_143828.JPG

20211014_114716.jpg

So the elasticity doesn't wear out in the washing machine yet?

• Heart 1

Just now, shootingstar said:

Sounds like what women might spent for long lasting underwear... or underwear that even fits.

A small woman grumbling here... I'm not a child.

My wife is the opposite of you and grumbles over bra purchases.  She has a hard time finding comfortable ones and the ones she likes are far more than she cares to spend. 

27 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

My wife is the opposite of you and grumbles over bra purchases.  She has a hard time finding comfortable ones and the ones she likes are far more than she cares to spend. 

Alot of bras ....are uncomfortable and to me, it's gotten worse..does every 2nd bra style have to have plastic wiring underneath?  It didn't used to be like that in choices. Underwired styles were more rare 30 yrs. ago. Or a style that just tight hot and uncomfortable, because it compresses too much against the body...

Sorry to say I think it's a) thinking that's what men like b) women over decades have more weight and hence need support up there...

Decent bras.....cost money unless wearing a orange bra (which was discounted because of the colour) under white T-shirt. Ok, go for it 18-yr. old gal.  How does that work for older women? Maybe for an artsy woman.

• Awesome 1

59 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

The wash isn’t the danger to elasticity, it’s the dryer. I hang dry all cycling clothes, socks, and underwear including Wo7’s bras. I can’t speak to the comfort of bras as the closest I have come is the Garmin heart rate monitor. 

26 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

The wash isn’t the danger to elasticity, it’s the dryer. I hang dry all cycling clothes, socks, and underwear including Wo7’s bras. I can’t speak to the comfort of bras as the closest I have come is the Garmin heart rate monitor. 

This is true about the dryer. No I don't hang my socks, but underwear and cycling clothes  I do.

2 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Nope! And the several base layers I have are still perfect with the exception of one, my  favorite one that I wore the heck out of off the bike. :D I've had these for about 6 years and still wearing them on my rides today.

2 hours ago, Zephyr said:

Why is no one talking about the fact he is wearing socks and sandals?  :facepalm:

I'm late to this thread...  THIS was my first thought.   WTF socks with sandals. :dontknow:  I'd never wear socks with sandals.

You don't get tan lines like this with socks. :D

feet.thumb.jpg.e8dfa201efbea8f26df9f0205d97cd0e.jpg

• Heart 1

26 minutes ago, Mr Beanz said:

Or drive home in your cycling shoes? :dontknow:

When I drive somewhere to ride, I'll wear my sandals, with no socks.   

When I get to the place I ride, that's when the cycling socks and cycling shoes are used. 

Of course when I drive home, sandals again (no socks).  

29 minutes ago, Mr Beanz said:

When you're done with a bike ride, do you march around in your cycling shoes? 

Only for a short distance while using cleat coves, then the shoes (and socks) come off.  

Then again, you west coast people are always about 10 years more advanced in fashion than we are in IL.   :D

2 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

Then again, you west coast people are always about 10 years more advanced in fashion than we are in IL.   :D

Not so sure it is about fashion. I keep my feet real purty by avoiding direct contact with leather, shoes, etc. 

Actually I keep my feet real nice and clean, and dry to avoid athlete's foot. Very sensitive feet and soft.

But now that I look at your pic, you might think my feet are pretty. :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bikeguy said:

When I drive somewhere to ride, I'll wear my sandals, with no socks.   

When I get to the place I ride, that's when the cycling socks and cycling shoes are used. 

Of course when I drive home, sandals again (no socks)

This for me too.  The socks come off with the shoes and let the feet breathe

• Heart 1

10 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

Hmmm... this seems to be sooooo wrong to me.     Then again, I've never been very up to date with fashion trends.  ;)

image.thumb.png.61050c0b30714bb7b41af95efaa9e807.png

Oh it’s not fashionable by any means but my feet are warm & protected on the dog walks. Also those socks look like they have a cut out between the toes. The socks just scrunch up when I do it. 

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Mr Beanz said:

BTW, I do believe it is a fashion out here now. Going to the mall,  you'd be surprised at how many people are wearing socks with sandals.  Most of them young.  I think because of all the athletic programs.  Maybe you guys are just getting old.:lol:

Yeah the the slides with socks, it’s a thing.  My son wore those for years while playing baseball  and soccer players do it too.  

My son works for the same firm I do in another dept. A couple of weeks ago someone on my team commented to me on my sons footwear. What’s he got on? Socks & slides.  Oh nice, I bet his supervisor loved that…

• Heart 1

Just now, ChrisL said:

Yeah the the slides with socks, it’s a thing.  My son wore those for years while playing baseball  and soccer players do it too.  

My son works for the same firm I do in another dept. A couple of weeks ago someone on my team commented to me on my sons footwear. What’s he got on? Socks & slides.  Oh nice, I bet his supervisor loved that…

While I hate all sorts of sandals, one thing I hate MORE is looking at folks bare assed toes!!! EWWWWWW.

I'm a sneaker guy.

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

one thing I hate MORE is looking at folks bare assed toes!!! EWWWWWW.

Sneaker guy too but like you, we go to the malls and see the people not wearing socks and get grossed out by too many ha ha ha! Especially a lady wearing sandals with her toes far too long for the tip, and broken crooked looking knuckles. :happyanim:

I don't have to worry about the ugly feet thing cause............

muhammad_ali_photo_by_stanley_weston_archive_photos_getty_482857506.jpg