Old School with a new Twist !

Zipp2001

9 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Neat!

Is there a rear brake on there?  Definitely a pretty bike, and is that a custom made piece to fit and adjust the rear wheel distance or was that on the bike originally?

I haven't run a rear brake for over 15 years, just have the rear brake lever to make it look even. I have the original track dropouts (carbon), but needed to be a tad longer to accommodate the belt drive so I had two sets made out of aluminum by a local machine shop. 

21 hours ago, Zipp2001 said:

I haven't run a rear brake for over 15 years, just have the rear brake lever to make it look even.

Just on that bike or on bikes in general?  It's not a fixie, right? What's the point/benefit of no rear brake?

21 hours ago, Zipp2001 said:

I have the original track dropouts (carbon), but needed to be a tad longer to accommodate the belt drive so I had two sets made out of aluminum by a local machine shop. 

Cool!

3 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Just on that bike or on bikes in general?  It's not a fixie, right? What's the point/benefit of no rear brake?

This is the only bike where I don't run a rear brake. It's only because the original rear brake design on the Zipp2001 when it came out wasn't great when it came to stopping power. So at some point between the many new paint jobs I decided to just not set it back up. I've always kept the rear brake lever for looks. I did get invited to a group ride many years back, and they asked if I would bring the Zipp. I did and we had a great ride (45 miles) and at rides end I showed them I didn't have a rear brakes set-up. Them couldn't tell and no one bothered to look under the bike at any time because that's where it would be. 

• Awesome 1

On 10/16/2021 at 8:15 PM, Zipp2001 said:

This is the only bike where I don't run a rear brake. It's only because the original rear brake design on the Zipp2001 when it came out wasn't great when it came to stopping power. So at some point between the many new paint jobs I decided to just not set it back up. I've always kept the rear brake lever for looks. I did get invited to a group ride many years back, and they asked if I would bring the Zipp. I did and we had a great ride (45 miles) and at rides end I showed them I didn't have a rear brakes set-up. Them couldn't tell and no one bothered to look under the bike at any time because that's where it would be. 

I generally use the rear brake a split second before the applying the front brake to help "smooth" braking out, so I use that rear brake a lot.  Since it is maybe half as effective, though, as the front brake, if I only had one working brake, the front would be the one I needed most. I'd just have to be super careful not grabbing too much!

I did get a chuckle years ago as a woman blew past me on her TT bike, grabbed only(?) her front brake at the intersection I was slowing for, and did a little forward flip with the bike still clipped to her.  She was fine, but I now get a chuckle out of that memory :D