I am still on the fence aboot a 'lectric leafblower

Ralphie

Just now, Razors Edge said:

Just happy folks didn't give up and assume that was the best we could do with technology.  Amazing, eh?

Yup!  But I am still skeptical that it is up to the job.  It might be worth it to buy a different brand than my Worx weedwacker to get a higher voltage system.  But I have two 24V battreys for the Worx. 

Just now, Philander Seabury said:

Yup!  But I am still skeptical that it is up to the job.  It might be worth it to buy a different brand than my Worx weedwacker to get a higher voltage system.  But I have two 24V battreys for the Worx. 

Well, the batteries could explode and burn down your house!!!! You're probably much safer sticking with gas powered tools.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Damn, another point to consider.  This is one reason why I have never had a leafblower. :D

I don't own one.  Or a rake. There are "people" for that sort of thing.  My time is better spent making tons of money! Or watching TV.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Old No. 7 said:

I bought one of the backpack leaf blowers a few years ago. Great to have if you have a yard full of trees. Leaves are changing and falling daily now.

Can it double as a jet pack?  Or would it require a few minor modifications?

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

I don't own one.  Or a rake. There are "people" for that sort of thing.  My time is better spent making tons of money! Or watching TV.

My "guy" retaared, but he only did the lawn, not leaves.  He made sure to call it quits in the fall before the leaves got real heavy

• Haha 1

Just now, Philander Seabury said:

My "guy" retaared, but he only did the lawn, not leaves.  He made sure to call it quits in the fall before the leaves got real heavy

We have some places here in NoVA where the town comes through with big vacuums and sucks up all the leaves in the gutter.  Folks are supposed to rake/blow their leaves to the curb instead of bagging them.  It's sort of nutso, but maybe better in trash/mulching sense?

20 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

We have some places here in NoVA where the town comes through with big vacuums and sucks up all the leaves in the gutter.  Folks are supposed to rake/blow their leaves to the curb instead of bagging them.  It's sort of nutso, but maybe better in trash/mulching sense?

They shred the leaves and provide free mulch to people who want it. Win win. When I lived in Fairfax the county came by and vacuumed them all up. Now that I’m in the country, I’m on my own. I have some discretionary areas to blow them to if I don’t want to bag them. 

If you are making the switch, price spare batteries and chargers.  See if they make a whole line of tools that share a common battery.  Some tools even offer an adapter that allows you to use the tool as corded or cordless.

I am a luddite and have all gas powered lawn equipment.  Mower, edger, string trimmer, blower, chainsaw, all gas.

If they made a gas powered shovel, I would buy one.

My hate for the earth runs deep.

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Yes, you would need @BR46 to bump up the power a tad. :D

I love building motors. 

Get a 2 stroke and I will do a port and polish job on it for more power (Tim Allen grunt) I can bore the carb for you too 

• Heart 1

Just now, jsharr said:

If you are making the switch, price spare batteries and chargers.  See if they make a whole line of tools that share a common battery.  Some tools even offer an adapter that allows you to use the tool as corded or cordless.

I am a luddite and have all gas powered lawn equipment.  Mower, edger, string trimmer, blower, chainsaw, all gas.

If they made a gas powered shovel, I would buy one.

My hate for the earth runs deep.

You get to use that chainsaw on the glamping expeditions???  That's where they really shine!

Just now, jsharr said:

We did not have time to work on our trail conservation project this time.  

I think most kids will enjoying cutting down a few trees just for the hell of it!  Have the younger ones use hatchets.  Then some heavier axes, and the Eagle-types get the chainsaw!  Make it fun, jsharr!

Just now, Razors Edge said:

I think most kids will enjoying cutting down a few trees just for the hell of it!  Have the younger ones use hatchets.  Then some heavier axes, and the Eagle-types get the chainsaw!  Make it fun, jsharr!

There are age appropirate guides we must follow.

My boys all know how to use a chainsaw, but the younger scouts must take saw yard training and have a totin' chip in order to use edged tools like hatchets, axes and saws during a scout activitiy.

6 minutes ago, jsharr said:

There are age appropirate guides we must follow.

Killjoy!

6 minutes ago, jsharr said:

My boys all know how to use a chainsaw, but the younger scouts must take saw yard training and have a totin' chip in order to use edged tools like hatchets, axes and saws during a scout activitiy.

Someone's gotta keep the "chip" and "badge" conglomerates making bank, I guess, so it might as well be you.

1 hour ago, Philander Seabury said:

I got a Worx weedwacker last year and it's nice and light and works fine for normal weeds and high grass hiding behind the outdoor central air unit, etc.  When I had enormous weeds growing in my neglected yard after the fire, I had to borrow my brother's gas-powered weedwacker to get some heavier-stem stuff.

I also have a couple batteries because I also have a Worx 10" chainsaw - which does a good, quick job on any tree I've chopped.

Gas all the way!

Discovered the 100 foot electric cord was too short as I chased people off the property with an electric chain saw.  They would stop just out of range...:nyanya:

While it is a great Halloween prop, but seriously...
I know from trenching and spacing a sprinkler system on my corner lot, my sidewalk and related curb is longer than 300 feet. More like the length of a football field including the two end zones. I have a gas leaf blower that I do an initial blow onto the grass before mowing to mulch in as mowed. Then a second blow for the random clipping created when mowing. My pet peave with professional lawn services is that they only do the single final blow with the pre-existing debrit  now blown onto a freshly cut yard.

I have several Black and Decker 20v tools.  My small chainsaw on a pole for branch cutting.  A weed wacker and a blower.  My regular (still small) is corded but I've tested the 20v version and it would do for what I need.

One of my Navy crew and housemates became a Black and Decker engineer after his discharge and college degree.  He steered me right.

18 minutes ago, Airehead said:

What is the use of these blowers?  Do you just blow the leaves out in the street, like my neighbor, and then hope for the best?

We put them in a windrow by the curb and the township picks them up on a schedule of aboot every 3 weeks starting soon.  I compost the ones that I can. Raking is a pain in the back. I do just mow and mulch most of them but that can’t do them all. 

Similar to @jsharr and @Tizeye I have gas powered stuff.

My old John Deere 325 has been retired from cutting grass (still used about 1 hour a month to keep everything working) and will now be used for plowing snow. 

The new John Deere X390 is used for mowing the grass.  When the 325 dies, I'll buy a new plow for snow (or the snow blower) of course the snow blade I have can't be used on the X390.  Bastards changed the way it mounts to the tractor.

Then there are the 2 Toro mowers we purchsed for mowing at the old home.  One is near death.  They are used for mowing in areas the JD can't get.

I like Stihl for the other stuff.   Chainsaw, hedge trimmer, trimmer/edger, pole saw, and the leaf blower/vac.  

And I have a small tiller and a power washer.

11 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

My brother who has a couple acres said he is converting his lawn care fleet to electric!  Still waiting for an answer if that means the tractor!  So are there electric tractors or zero turn mowers? brb!

Yup!  And they say they do up to 2 acres on a charge.  Mmm-hmmm!

I looked at those automatic mowers that are electric.  Around 4 grand and can only do 1/2 acre.  I'd need a couple of them.  I'll stick with my Craftsman tractor.