I am still on the fence aboot a 'lectric leafblower

Ralphie

4 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Pocket just had an article aboot how it is a waste to remove leaves, but it was overly simplistic.  I mulch as much as possible but there is still an excess.

I remove all the grass clippings and leaves, I compost them all, but the compost goes into the garden and flower beds. So I am concentrating the nutrients where I want them and ignoring the trees and grass that provided them

I wonder if long term I am doing harm to the lawn and trees ?  

7 minutes ago, Further said:

I remove all the grass clippings and leaves, I compost them all, but the compost goes into the garden and flower beds. So I am concentrating the nutrients where I want them and ignoring the trees and grass that provided them

I wonder if long term I am doing harm to the lawn and trees ?  

They say not to do that if the lawn has been chemically treated but I don;t think that is a big problem.  And I have always had trouble with getting grass clippings distributed well enough unless they are mixed with some brown leaves which is its own perfect mixture.  Maybe you can alternate collecting the clippings with mulching them.

I used to get chemical fertilizer runoff from the field behind my house. You could tell where it flowed because the grass would grow twice as tall and twice as green between cuttings. The farmer put drainage pipe all over the field and it doesn’t do that anymore. Now the fertilizer probably flows into skunk run and into Lake Latonka to make their seaweed grow. :whistle:

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

I used to get chemical fertilizer runoff from the field behind my house. You could tell where it flowed because the grass would grow twice as tall and twice as green between cuttings. The farmer put drainage pipe all over the field and it doesn’t do that anymore. Now the fertilizer probably flows into skunk run and into Lake Latonka to make their seaweed grow. :whistle:

Across the street from me is retaared high school science teacher next to a super green lawn guy.  She was always displayed that their back lawns drain directly into a swamp so his excess fertilizer helped contribute to the excess algae.