Rolling The Dice With Purple Carrot

Razors Edge

Are purple carrots acidic or basic?

One year, our school system ran out of money for supplies and I needed an acid-base indicator to teach the kids to titrate solutions.

So I bought a red cabbage, ran it through a blender, and squeezed out the red liquid.

The kids weren't crazy about the cabbage smell, but they were able put several drops of the juice into a solution to tell when it was acidic (red cabbage juice) or basic (blue-green cabbage juice).

On the other hand, hydrangeas turn red or pink in basic soil and blue in acidic soil.

I don't know what purple indicates.

• Heart 2

On 10/15/2021 at 8:24 PM, Square Wheels said:

Sounds good.  I find these to be harder and more time consuming than advertised.

It is ALWAYS harder and more time consuming for sure.  If it is just me doing the work, I double the time they claim.  Usually, I am just the sous chef, so I am able to let my wife focus on the tougher stuff, and I make sure all the other stuff is prepped, ready, and cleaned for her.  That keeps it closer to reality.  But, realistically, it is time well spent for most. 

6 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

It is ALWAYS harder and more time consuming for sure.  If it is just me doing the work, I double the time they claim.  Usually, I am just the sous chef, so I am able to let my wife focus on the tougher stuff, and I make sure all the other stuff is prepped, ready, and cleaned for her.  That keeps it closer to reality.  But, realistically, it is time well spent for most. 

I also am the sous chef and chief bottle washer, so I usually just stay out of the way of the creative end of meal prep.  When I fend for myself it is either raw veggies/big salad or something extremely simple like pasta or egg noodles primavera/siciliano, ie a bunch of stuff dumped on pasta or egg noodles. :D  If I am really adventurous, grilled chicken legs or thighs with S&P are marvelous. :)

• Heart 1

Just now, Razors Edge said:

Exactly that - coming up with the menu, creating the grocery list, doing the shopping.  A win-win-win.

I would give you a weekly meal plan and grocery list for free. One of my favorite past times is planning attractive meals. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Hugs 1

My problem is that I am the nutrition department, planning to presentation.

My wife seldom will even give a hint as to what she would like, but if I prepare something she doesn't want she will say just me some cheese on bread, or potato salad, or some other crap. Meantime I have double the amount to eat by myself. Her like list is very limited, and far from healthy.

Enough bitchin, I haven't gone to bed hungry in years   :party: 

• Hugs 1

2 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Are you lazy??  Or you just hate thinking for yourself?  I get it.  The tech industry sucks your soul.

It's a HUGE convenience factor.  Without a doubt, unless you enjoy shopping (like Mick), and enjoy eating well, then you should be doing it. 

But folks can do what they like.  I can only say it has worked supremely well for me for 8 years now.

11 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

It's a HUGE convenience factor.  Without a doubt, unless you enjoy shopping (like Mick), and enjoy eating well, then you should be doing it. 

But folks can do what they like.  I can only say it has worked supremely well for me for 8 years now.

My wife loves doing all the work.  But this seems like a good option when I request she gets some down time.  Is it any good?  Do you like it?  Is it a national company?  Where the heck do they serve??  Can I get it in Bellingham?  Also, can i get some ground beef on that cheese??

13 hours ago, Dottles said:

Yep - there are a BUNCH of meal delivery services - from totally DIY to just pop in the oven/microwave.  We've really only done a few - Blue Apron (one of the original and the best) and Hello Fresh (good, less work and less complicated) and now Purple Carrot.  Blue Apron suffered from a switch to an inferior delivery company in our area, so we dumped them after 8 yrs. HF uses a great delivery service, so the box arrives early in the day ready for the first meal to be made that evening.  We'll see with PC. 

14 hours ago, Dottles said:

My wife loves doing all the work.  But this seems like a good option when I request she gets some down time.  Is it any good?  Do you like it?  Is it a national company?  Where the heck do they serve??  Can I get it in Bellingham?  Also, can i get some ground beef on that cheese??

Not Purple Carrot - their angle is vegan - but absolutely can go with HF or BA and get meat and cheese galore.

10 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Yep - there are a BUNCH of meal delivery services - from totally DIY to just pop in the oven/microwave.  We've really only done a few - Blue Apron (one of the original and the best) and Hello Fresh (good, less work and less complicated) and now Purple Carrot.  Blue Apron suffered from a switch to an inferior delivery company in our area, so we dumped them after 8 yrs. HF uses a great delivery service, so the box arrives early in the day ready for the first meal to be made that evening.  We'll see with PC. 

Not Purple Carrot - their angle is vegan - but absolutely can go with HF or BA and get meat and cheese galore.

I don't mind doing vegan for about half my meals.  That's half the crap I'm putting into my body.  Fish and/or some chicken is ok in my diet.