Back to back centuries  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Will he make it?

• Yes
    • No
    • Hell no
    • He is the most interesting man alive, of course
    • He'll likely have to walk 1/2 of it

Some of you may know I'm very new to cycling.

Life long couch potato, just started riding / exercising two years ago.  I've shed 35 - 50 pounds since.

Last year I rode on a nice hybrid for a little over 1,000 miles.  Then in November I bought a sweet Roubaix and this year I've ridden her a little over 2,000 miles so far.

I did a hilly century around Mt Washington in July and a much flatter one two weeks ago.  I survived both.

Tomorrow there is the Seacoast century in NH and they offer it both Saturday and Sunday.  My wife and I plan to do Sunday together, although it's supposed to rain, and I had the silly idea of try to do Saturday first.

I think you'll manage it.  The biggest issue is likely to be in the nether regions, especially if it rains.  Not sure if you've ever used any chamois creams or not, but you might want to try some out.  Also, since it seems that being able to ride with, and finish with, your wife would be more important, I wouldn't push too hard for that PR on Saturday.

I've done a few double centuries and in some respects, they were easier than some back-to-back centuries. 

Don't get dehydrated or low on fuel especially during the first century. Next make sure to take in some carbs and protein within the first hour of finishing the first century.

If you can get a massage after the first century or spend some time in a hot tub, do so. 

I voted that you can do it.

Not sure if you've ever used any chamois creams or not, but you might want to try some out.  Also, since it seems that being able to ride with, and finish with, your wife would be more important, I wouldn't push too hard for that PR on Saturday.

I had some saddle issues a few months ago and got a saddle fitting and a new saddle.  He recommended Udder Cream to be used as a chamois cream and a lot after I ride.  It's really helped.

Riding with the wife on Sunday is very important to me.  This is a very flat century, it will be my third this year.  I want to see if I can do it in 6 rolling hours.  Not blistering fast, but that would be very fast for me.

How strong a rider is your wife?  Is she looking for a strong century on Sunday, or just to finish whenever?

She really strong, but I'm stronger.  Again, this is all relative as we are new riders.  I'm hoping Saturday will leave me a little tuckered out and make it more even on Sunday.

I've done a few double centuries and in some respects, they were easier than some back-to-back centuries. 

Don't get dehydrated or low on fuel especially during the first century. Next make sure to take in some carbs and protein within the first hour of finishing the first century.

If you can get a massage after the first century or spend some time in a hot tub, do so. 

I voted that you can do it.

I plan to drink and eat a lot both days.  I will bring a cooler with me both days and have at least two servings of Hammer Recoverite after the rides.

I think you'll manage it.  The biggest issue is likely to be in the nether regions, especially if it rains.  Not sure if you've ever used any chamois creams or not, but you might want to try some out.  Also, since it seems that being able to ride with, and finish with, your wife would be more important, I wouldn't push too hard for that PR on Saturday.

Chamois Buttr for one makes individual packs.  I have used those before

Chamois Buttr for one makes individual packs.  I have used those before

Thanks, the reason I went with the Udder Cream is the guy who fit me for the saddle mentioned a lot of the chamois creams had petroleum in them that you can't get out of your bibs / shorts.

Have you had any issues with that?  I have hardly ever use any of the Udder Cream during a ride.  Weeks I ride often I use it after / between rides.

Hey Square, I'll be at reg table #3 K-P Sunday 6:30 to 12:00. I'll be riding Saturday wearing my We the People jersey. Say "Hi" if you see me.

If I see you riding off into the distance maybe.  Remember, tomorrow I'm aiming for 6 hours or just under 17mph.  That will be blazingly fast for me.

I will say hi and stop by on Sunday - looks like cold rain for Sunday, the wife is bummed.

Thanks, the reason I went with the Udder Cream is the guy who fit me for the saddle mentioned a lot of the chamois creams had petroleum in them that you can't get out of your bibs / shorts.

Have you had any issues with that?  I have hardly ever use any of the Udder Cream during a ride.  Weeks I ride often I use it after / between rides.

I have never had a problem getting Chamois Buttr out of my shorts.  petroleum does not appear in the list of ingredients.

Well, for those that said No, you win.  I could "probably" do it tomorrow but the forecast is thunderstorms and temps in the low 60's.  I did 109 today, needed to take an 8 mile detour around an accident.  Two people were hit by a car and died at the beginning of the race.  We didn't know what happened until we were 1/2 done.  My mood has been a little down since then.  That's enough.  I am proud of the fact I can ride a century in my first year of riding a bike, and I'm old enough to know I don't need to prove anything.  THis was my third and I didn't bail on any of them, including my first, the Mt Washing.

Maybe next year.