Update on COVID in my cousin & her husband- improving!

MickinMD

I spoke with my cousin Phyllis last night.  She's the daughter of my Aunt Sally who died of COVID in April 2020 a few months short of her 100th birthday.

She and her husband appear well on the road to recovery from COVID.

She and her husband foolishly refused to get COVID vaccinations - even after her mother then another cousin of ours died of COVID (Phyllis even visited her grave in Massachusetts) and my sister almost died of it. More foolishly, they went on a recent Florida getaway and returned to NJ having caught COVID.

Phyllis was never in desperate shape but bad enough to go to a hospital, though she wasn't admitted overnight (I think she refused it). She was treated with monoclonal antibodies and as an outpatient had a series of remdesivir shots.  She is recovering well now.

Husband Ken, who had the symptoms first, tried a bunch of home remedies, then began to have a fever and breathing problems and has been in the hospital since last Saturday.

They had to increase the oxygen he's been getting from a "2" rate to a "4" Phyl said, "Things were getting scary for a while."

Then he improved, they dropped the rate to "2" and there's a chance he'll be sent home today with home-use oxygen.  Phyllis has a pulse oximeter at home.

I hope they'll get the shots after they recover, but my guess is they'll assume they're reduced the chances of getting it again enough that their imaginative, unstudied beliefs of risks of the vaccine causing problems outweighs the risk of getting it again.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 3
  • Hugs 2

1 hour ago, Further said:

It confounds me that people can fixate on an obscure unproven rumor and ignore published, proven scientific data.

The most common reason at work for not getting a shot is now that government is pushing too hard and must have a hidden agenda

Yes, they Shirley do. Keeping its citizens alive and healthy with a functional economy. Those bastards!

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Further said:

It confounds me that people can fixate on an obscure unproven rumor and ignore published, proven scientific data.

The most common reason at work for not getting a shot is now that government is pushing too hard and must have a hidden agenda

There are a lot of dummies out there. An enormous number, really. 

• Sad 1

While I'm glad they're getting better, what bothers me is that these are the people who didn't have to get it in the first place.

Could have gotten the vaccine.

Could have not gone to Florida.

Could have masked in Florida (am betting they didn't, but feel free to correct me).

And finally, could have not taxed the hospital system in their area more by ignoring all of the science and advice. These are the people that don't trust what the doctors and nurses say -and then go to those same doctors and nurses! The cognitive dissonance and mental gymnastics required to be this ignorant are significant. The "Big Pharma" conspiracy some of them peddle...Umm, who do you think manufactures monoclonal antibodies (at 20 times the cost of a vaccine) or ivermectin? The pharmaceutical companies. Why?

Then to top it off, perhaps they transmitted the virus to others. Who's to say if those people will recover, or if they do, will recover without serious long-term effects? Do we completely not care any more about the people around us? That complete lack of care for our surrounding community in so much of this is what bothers me most of all.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1