So what is your favourite kitchen tool?

Ralphie

For me it is the lowly potato peeler.  I just used it to freshen up some apple slices that daughter #2 left here a week ago, and the lemon juice was not up to keeping them non-brown for that long.  It is nice because you can cut such a thin layer off.  Second is the also lowly pot scraper.  Both are the cheapskate's allies. :D

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

If it counts, my good chef's knife.  If it does not count, I would say my adjustable measuring cup.  It is for semi solids, like mayo, or sour creme.  You pull the bottom down to the amount you want, fill it then push up the bottom and scrape it off.  Super slick.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

Cast iron fry pan. We’ve had it since we got married. Once I convinced WoW not to use soap on it, it has seasoned to the point I sometimes have trouble getting a spatula under an egg without it sliding around. 
As for widgets, the little knife sharpener from Lowe’s. Anymore, the fine ceramic side is all I need for most knives. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, groupw said:

Cast iron fry pan. We’ve had it since we got married. Once I convinced WoW not to use soap on it, it has seasoned to the point I sometimes have trouble getting a spatula under an egg without it sliding around. 

I still use detergent but make sure I dry it immediately. What do you clean it with?

An old fashioned jar/bottle  opener that I took while we were cleaning out my Mom's kitchen.  I remember my Dad using  that when I was a little kid to open the jars since that was always his job. :nodhead:

• Heart 1

33 minutes ago, Kirby said:

An old fashioned jar/bottle  opener that I took while we were cleaning out my Mom's kitchen.  I remember my Dad using  that when I was a little kid to open the jars since that was always his job. :nodhead:

A rubber grippy pad or some fancy contraption?  I am mad that our vintage grippy pad from my old Credit Union has gone missing.:angry:

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Airehead said:

A great knife 

I think I screwed up on my work 40th anniversary gift.  A nice knife set is probably what we should have gotten, but we do have a mishmash of knives that are serviceable, but they are not the same as REALLY good knives I don't think.  I guess we could have donated those to charity.  I didn't want to just pitch them.  Even so, my favourite is the cheapo OXO because it feels so good in my hand and cuts very well.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Gump said:

Gumpette. She cooks she cleans and refuses to let me help.

I'd say the same about my wife (but she usually cooks, I always clean), but I'll go with the wine opener doodad that opens the wine that keeps her from whining while she cooks.

34 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

A rubber grippy pad or some fancy contraption?  I am mad that our vintage grippy pad from my old Credit Union has gone missing.:angry:

The picture I posted pops the seal on jarred products so light twisting is the only requirement to open jars.  Best $5 I ever spent. 

Chopsticks....they can be used for stirring, picking up stuff from pot to try (if you don't need a spoon) or I've used for baking in some part of the process prior to putting batter to bake. Handy to got off bits of batter into the muffin pan.  Whipping up an egg quickly or whipping any kind of liquid sauce.

I eat often with a fork for a meal (no I rarely use a knife. My pieces of food are sliced bite size.).but my chopsticks are often around when cooking.

• Awesome 1

43 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Chopsticks....they can be used for stirring, picking up stuff from pot to try (if you don't need a spoon) or I've used for baking in some part of the process prior to putting batter to bake. Handy to got off bits of batter into the muffin pan.  Whipping up an egg quickly or whipping any kind of liquid sauce.

I eat often with a fork for a meal (no I rarely use a knife. My pieces of food are sliced bite size.).but my chopsticks are often around when cooking.

I neighbor who married a Japanese American guy gave me some cooking chopsticks once and not a favorite utensil I do use them frequently. 

I’m gonna guess most here can’t use chopsticks. 

5 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I neighbor who married a Japanese American guy gave me some cooking chopsticks once and not a favorite utensil I do use them frequently. 

I have emergency chopsticks in my car.  I know how to use them. 

f9ad528cdb30389e345f94d205e11ed3_XL.jpg?

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Probably not enough to know what to do with them from a cooking perspective....nothing wrong with that.

I use them to stir around pasta to see if it's done boiling...it's not a fork for me. Sure, I'll use chopsticks to pick up 1 pasta to check for "doneness". Lifting 1 dim sum from a steaming dish... to check for tastiness...

It occurred to me just now, if I didn't have any chopsticks at home, would I  miss them?  After a few wks., I would realize:  why do I have to buy so many wooden spoons for cooking/baking?   I only need 2 of those, 1 spatula, 1 small knife for piercing for "doneness"...and the rest is pr. of chopsticks for cooking.   I only use tongs with rubberized ends, to lift out steam dish out of boiling water.  I don't use tongs to get pieces of food out of pot/pan. Chopsticks serve same purpose.

20 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

The microwave.  

Absolutely.  One of the greatest inventions ever.  I remember the days before the microwave.  No way to heat up anything without turning on a massive resistive heating element of some sort.  Hard to assign actual numbers to it, but the microwave has saved gazillions of kilowatts of energy over the last 40 years or so.  It was eco-friendly before we even knew what eco-friendly was.