Krazy's Kar Thread

KrAzY

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Definitely cool to see those two next to each other in the garage. I prefer the Valiant, but both deserve to be preserved for posterity (and used gently when possible).

Both have a distinct style about them that make you just admire the way they were built. 
Just seeing that the difference in style, mechanics, and period style in what 34 years of technology Brough it amazing. 
Nonetheless having a 93 year old car was also a dream of mine.. To think it was made the same year Micky Mouse was introduced to the masses, and the year before the Great Depression happened and it was not used for scrap metal. Well technically it is more wood than metal.. but that's besides the point.. LOL 

• Heart 3

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

What famous Canadian cars are there?  I know GM and others build plenty of cars in Canada, but what cars are truly Canadian? 

I guess the Manic GT from 1966 - 1971 would be one of the cars.. about 170 made if I remember correctly. 

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

What famous Canadian cars are there?  I know GM and others build plenty of cars in Canada, but what cars are truly Canadian? 

You mean, like Buick?  There were several upstart auto makers in Canada but as soon as they gained  market traction, they were purchased by large US companies. 

The Valiant is my favorite but both are cool! 
I like going to car shows to look once in a while, but have only shown the Miata a couple times. I took the 74 Capri to a couple. I used to park with our high school orchestra director and his Citroen 2CV. But those were plenty. I would rather be driving than sitting in a lawn chair. Too many car owners hated to put any miles on their cars. To each their own, but I just didn’t enjoy visiting with a lot of them. 

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, groupw said:

The Valiant is my favorite but both are cool! 
I like going to car shows to look once in a while, but have only shown the Miata a couple times. I took the 74 Capri to a couple. I used to park with our high school orchestra director and his Citroen 2CV. But those were plenty. I would rather be driving than sitting in a lawn chair. Too many car owners hated to put any miles on their cars. To each their own, but I just didn’t enjoy visiting with a lot of them. 

I have a bad case of setting up a chair and then just wondering off when something shinny catches my eye.. The show I was at was for about 4 hours.. I probably sat for about 20 min. Thats where my ADHD really pisses off the wife.. :happyanim:
I would rather play around and work on my vehicles then show them off most of the time. 
I do find it funny how a good majority of people I have talked to so far have not done any work on their own vehicles, but would rather have a shop do all their work. They just then garage them and show them off. 

Milage for me is nothing.. why have it if I'm not going to take it out and about! 

• Heart 3

Typically I’m not a huge fan of Harbor Freight… but I had to give the pneumatic spark plug cleaner a shot.. at $19 where could I really go wrong.. 

so the ‘28 Chevy has plugs that are hard to find, and at about $30 a plug (x4).. I’m gonna try out the $19 cleaner for sure. 

After pulling the plug it was covered in crud (official term!). 
97F97FB6-1059-4846-88D2-D16000E35148.thumb.jpeg.720e19b255da86ff884c47af7239d366.jpeg

about 3 min in the blaster it cleaned up nicely.  It’s a lot more noticeable in person than in pictures. 
27038984-D973-4880-BAFA-EF1A408B0983.thumb.jpeg.7de45d1c93b9aaa3aeb653a424cfdf8a.jpeg

I’m sure it could use about another 5 min of blasting, but what a big difference. 
I’m betting that these dirty plugs are part of my problem with getting it started.. now it’s time to see if they actually spark. 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 2

Soooooooo.....The engine is now not cranking so it gives me two options... 
1) Total tear down and rebuild it including trying to fabricate parts by hand to get it running and moving the way it should be.
                                                                OR
2) Total tear out and try and sell parts ( should be easy, lots of people on the Vintage Chevy site is always looking) to raise money and make it a total rat rod with a small block engine. I'll have to stretch the front about 5 inches more, add more to the frame, make it a custom rod that my neighbors are going to hate to hear when it starts up. 
I would keep the interior as close to original as I can.

Something like this

50 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Rebuild trying to be as close to original as possible. Do not hot rod it

I will try that first, but I can not make promises to what all I will find once I start tearing it apart. 
if it becomes a bigger problem, it’s going to be a hot rod.. 

I have pulled all the pugs and filled the block with some 10w40 and will let it soak a couple days hoping it makes the pistons free up enough to save it. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

If you make it a rat rod I’d suggest you move the ignition switch inside the car.

It's on the floorboard now, but I'm guessing it was just the ignition they haven't put though the firewall just yet.. 
I do however wanna make is so it has a kill switch and no keys like it does have now. I really do wanna keep it as original as I can. 

Just need to figure out how the title really works if it does become a rat rod.. it still is a 28 chevy with all new parts. Sooooooooo I guess it technically will not need really changed except for insurance. 

• Heart 1

The Valiant is all washed and waxed for tomorrows show.. Not sure how many cars and trucks will be there, but I'll post up some pictures 

I cheated and used liquid spray wax this time.. didn't feel like buffing paste wax off the car for three hours. 

• Awesome 1

27 minutes ago, Further said:

When you say not cranking, do you mean the engine won't even spin ?

Not spinning by hand crank or by starter. I'm guessing the bearings ceased up. 
I tried draining the oil today, and Not sure when it happened, but someone rounded the pan bolt.. going to have to either regrind the sides and make it a size smaller, drill and tap a new hole, or grab it with vice grips and beat the hell out of it with a hammer. Either way, I will drain that oil in the near future. 
I'm also a tad upset after draining the radiator.. I HATE the fact the previous owner used radiator fluid instead of just water. IT seems like he tried tinkering with it, but had no idea what he was doing. I just hope he didn't screw something up running top grade gas in an old engine that is not meant for it. I already drained that all out and cleaned up the vacuum tank from the crap job he did trying to seal it.. he said it had a "leak", but the only thing I noticed for a leak was it needing a new gasket that I custom cut from cork on out laser cutter.  After spending 4 hours cleaning out the vacuum tank with MEK, I got a good seal and fuel to flow to the carb. I also rebuilt the carb since I noticed it was coated in 90 years of fuel crud.. to the point it was turning the new gas a green color. 

• Awesome 1

• 3 weeks later...

You need to drive that Valiant to Indiana for one of the largest cruise-ins you will find anywhere.  Every Thursday evening from May through September. The final one of the season always attracts several thousand cars. Good food at the pork rib buffet and good fun.  Car clubs form all over the country have made this a destination trip.

https://essenhaus.com/cruise-in/

https://m.facebook.com/events/1488117731385610

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

On 10/16/2021 at 6:02 PM, Wilbur said:

You mean, like Buick?  There were several upstart auto makers in Canada but as soon as they gained  market traction, they were purchased by large US companies. 

Wait, Buick started in Canadia?  That is a fairly well kept secret, at least here in the US. Owl have to go read about old Walter P Buick. :D  Or was it Bob Buick?  Or the Buick Brothers? Isn’t that a Scottish name?  So many questions.  I am sure I have encountered the story in automotive history books but I need a refresher.  Brb!

2 hours ago, Digital_photog said:

You need to drive that Valiant to Indiana for one of the largest cruise-ins you will find anywhere.  Every Thursday evening from May through September. The final one of the season always attracts several thousand cars. Good food at the pork rib buffet and good fun.  Car clubs form all over the country have made this a destination trip.

https://essenhaus.com/cruise-in/

https://m.facebook.com/events/1488117731385610

I would consider trailering it up for a show, but really don’t want to throw that many drive miles on it for a weekend😂

I think I finally found a club to join for the valiant, still looking for one for the Chevy once’s it is done.. 

• Awesome 1

24 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Wait, Buick started in Canadia?  That is a fairly well kept secret, at least here in the US. Owl have to go read about old Walter P Buick. :D  Or was it Bob Buick?  Or the Buick Brothers? Isn’t that a Scottish name?  So many questions.  I am sure I have encountered the story in automotive history books but I need a refresher.  Brb!

It was McLaughlin motors which was trading parts with Buick then a stock swap that gave control of the Buick name and use of the GM name to McLaughlin which was later purchased outright by GM.  It was all very mixed up back then but the auto museum in Oshawa Ontario has a good write up on it all.  Oshawa, btw, was the location of McLaughlin, Buick and GM Canada. 
like all the old companies, McLaughlin started building wagons. 

Canadas biggest car company never built cars.  The Prevost car company built busses. :)

• Thank You 1

9 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

It was McLaughlin motors which was trading parts with Buick then a stock swap that gave control of the Buick name and use of the GM name to McLaughlin which was later purchased outright by GM.  It was all very mixed up back then but the auto museum in Oshawa Ontario has a good write up on it all.  Oshawa, btw, was the location of McLaughlin, Buick and GM Canada. 
like all the old companies, McLaughlin started building wagons. 

Canadas biggest car company never built cars.  The Prevost car company built busses. :)

Do you ever get William Durant confused with Jimmy Durante? :D

So I at least have it locked in the rusty old tin trap that David Dunbar Buick was Scottish  :)

12 hours ago, KrAzY said:

Couple new things.. the valiant was featured in a YouTube video

and I also took another pic of it tonight in front of a Dr Pepper sign on my way home from getting ice cream. 
BD40CA29-26C3-4E8C-AB2A-9FF4C3C1BC01.thumb.jpeg.72fad16f172300731864881dc6aed7bd.jpeg

I love the Valiant, but I'm somehow drawn to the very first dark red (Soul Red) car shown on the video. ;)

51 minutes ago, team scooter said:

I love the Valiant, but I'm somehow drawn to the very first dark red (Soul Red) car shown on the video. ;)

you don't want that soul snatcher red car.. they are junk.... vehicles with personality and curves is where it's at:whistle: