Haiti kidnappings

Prophet Zacharia

A group of 17 missionaries and family members — primarily Americans — were kidnapped in Haiti on Saturday after returning from a site visit to an orphanage, according to an audio alert from their Christian aid group and a person familiar with the abduction, marking the latest in a wave of kidnappings to grip the spiraling Caribbean nation.

An audio described as a “prayer alert” from Ohio-based Christian Aid Ministries and obtained by The Washington Post stated that “men, women and children” associated with the group were being held by an armed gang. Those abducted included organization staff as well as family members, according to the recording.

This is bad news. Hope all are returned safe. 

Is it @Zackny that does regular relief work in Haiti? Maybe others here do, too?

• Sad 4
  • Hugs 1

2 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Is it @Zackny that does regular relief work in Haiti? Maybe others here do, too?

I sponsor a girl in Haiti through Compassion Ministries. When they had all the hurricane damage awhile back the organization I’m certified with for crisis response decided it was just to dangerous to bring in a team to help. Their government is a train wreck. We concentrated all our relief work in Puerto Rico instead.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 2

Einstein and I support a school run by Christian Aid Ministry in Haiti . His parents requested we continue what they had done since 1981 as part of their estate.  It is a very conservative group as far as church’s go. Mennonites, Amish and other anabaptist groups mostly, I think.  I don’t support their views on everything but I definitely support their desire to help those that lack basics such as water, toilets, schooling and food.   No one should be kidnapped doing good works. 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 2

It seems that the missionaries went into a part of Port-au-Prince that even most Haitians consider too dangerous.  They are in the hands of a gang.

The US meanwhile is in serious discussion with Haitian officials.  I suspect that probably means they are looking for permission to send in some Seals and special forces troops.

I was in Port-au-Prince back in the early 70's.  I was not allowed to leave the ship and go ashore and we did not tie up to any pier to maintain our distance.  This was in the days of Papa Doc and Haiti was bad news even then.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

We do except we have not been to Haiti since 2018. This is due to things like this. The organization we work with hasn’t allowed any missionaries in since then. We are in touch with several people in Haiti and kidnapping is nothing new but this may be the first time Americans were targeted.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

Such a sad situation.  The mountains in the middle of the Island of Hispaniola that divide the Dominican Republic in the Eastern 2/3's from Haiti in the Western third result in a different climate and poorer agricultural results in Haiti and helps keep poor along with a large population.

• Awesome 1
  • Sad 1