Tom kha

Airehead

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

That would be good with shrimp. :) 

agreed

35 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

What’s your vegetable broth recipe? Or, which store brand do you recommend? 
Broth flavors vary depending on amount of carrots, or if there’s parsnip, onion, celery, etc. 

I keep a container in the freezer and throw in the last of any veggie from other recipes.  For example, I just had a bit of green pepper left and did not want it to go bad so I threw it in there.  If something calls for half an onion, I throw the other half in the bag.  Also stuff that has limited freshness left.  When I am ready to make broth, I take a look at it.  If needed added more of a key ingredient.  Then add some parsley and maybe some thyme.  Throw water on top.  Occasionally I have some v-8 juice that needs used or water from canned tomatoes-- I throw that in too.

Generally, but not always, something like this--- 

pound celery

1 ½ pounds sweet onions, shallots, or red onions

1 pound carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces

1 pound tomatoes, cored 

1 pound green bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces

½ pound turnips or parsnips, cubed

2 tablespoons olive oil 

3 cloves garlic

3 whole cloves of garlic

1 bay leaf or 2

You could put salt in-- I don't because I prefer to salt the final dish not the stock.

Some peppercorns maybe 6 or 10 - I put them in a bit of cheese cloth because I don't feed them to the dogs.

1 bunch fresh parsley, chopped

1 gallon water-- if I add tomato juice I use less plain water

Cook the heck out of it until all the veggies are limp.  I strain this broth and either freeze it or use it right away in recipes.  I have like 6 quarts in the freezer because this is the time of year for extra veggies that need used.

Then I fish out the bay leaves, garlic, and peppercorns and throw them away.  Everything else gets mixed with white fish and gets frozen in one cup portions as part of the dogs' food.