I have a question for Shooting Star.

Wilbur

48 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

If CBC is "Canadian Born Chinese". what is "China Born Chinese"? 

You're right, I never thought of the acronym for that side.

I know some families --just for the kids, where  some sibs and others are split between 1 of the CBC identities. 

Just 3 wks. ago, one close Toronto cycling friend who was visiting her long time CAlgary family, said her oldest sister (who is around 73 yrs. old :huh: I have to get used ...that some of my friends have siblings that "old") was more Chinese than the rest of her siblings.  

She has 4 siblings. Her more Chinese sibling immigrated to Canada when she was 16 yrs. old...and hence, maintained still a lot of long distance Chinese friends back in HK.  

My friend was around 4 yrs. old when she was part of the familial immigration to Canada. My friend is quite assimilated.. she behaves, speaks, etc. like a Canadian-born.

In my personal opinion, there are some contrasting life experiences between those like myself who have never lived anywhere else outside of CAnada, vs. those born/grew up as a teen /older in China.  Unless their family travelled /lived internationally outside of China before immigrating to Canada.

1 of the first defining factors, is fluency /non-fluency in speaking Chinese well as an adult.  Language is so deeply intertwined with (even modern) socio-psycho /cultural understanding.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

1 of the first defining factors, is fluency /non-fluency in speaking Chinese well as an adult. 

I have several "CBC" friends and none of them speak Chinese dialects.  They are often scorned by new Chinese-Canadians because they have "lost their heritage".  

19 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I have several "CBC" friends and none of them speak Chinese dialects.  They are often scorned by new Chinese-Canadians because they have "lost their heritage".  

I know, Wilbur.

It's awful and incredibly arrogant. New Chinese-Canadians can be quite ignorant about Chinese-CAnadian history...their success, freedoms is due to the older folks in their 90's, or dead in Canada, who weathered alot of hardships.  My parents don't blame their 100% Chinese grandchildren for not knowing Chinese. They simply want the kids to be happy and respectful around them and others who don't speak English, etc.

• Heart 1