So what do we really know aboot cottage cheese? First off, why is it called that?

Ralphie

Did you ever see how they make it? Or should I say smell how they make it. A relative of mine was the general manager of Dean Dairy and he gave my a guided tour of the dairy. He asked if I liked cottage cheese? You might not like it if you see it before it is finished. He lifted the lid on this big vat and the smell was horrible. I think probably any cheese making goes through that stage, it was really bad.

• Sad 2

So I bought store brand again and I was shocked to see the price of Good Culture. I think it was $4.65 for a small container, so I bought the large store brand for $2.79, so that is almost four times the price!  I did a side by side taste test and it was too close to call. But I gotta admit the ingredient comparison did not go as well!  The cheap stuff has THREE types of gums/thickeners - guar gum, locust bean gum, and carageenan. But with the price difference I will stick with the cheap stuff.  It reminds me of pancake syrup. While I can appreciate the real stuff, I actually sort of like the cheap stuff better.  Actually I just need to 86 the pancakes until I get my weight to a decent place.

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

So I bought store brand again and I was shocked to see the price of Good Culture. I think it was $4.65 for a small container, so I bought the large store brand for $2.79, so that is almost four times the price!  I did a side by side taste test and it was too close to call. But I gotta admit the ingredient comparison did not go as well!  The cheap stuff has THREE types of gums/thickeners - guar gum, locust bean gum, and carageenan. But with the price difference I will stick with the cheap stuff.  It reminds me of pancake syrup. While I can appreciate the real stuff, I actually sort of like the cheap stuff better.  Actually I just need to 86 the pancakes until I get my weight to a decent place.

I have decided to buy the Good Culture but eat it less frequently to make up for the price difference. 

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, shootingstar said:

It's been over 2 yrs. since I've had cottage cheese. I'm not keen when salt is added and is noticeable.

Otherwise I like a big blop of it. When I did have it..maybe 5-8 times annually. I have yogurt daily.

agreed, it should not taste like salt

• Heart 1