I Couldn't /Wouldn't

Mr. Beanz

Some people shock me. So we have plenty of friends involved in cycling.  Today, at the start of our ride, we ran into a friend who was finishing her ride. She asked," how do you like my new to me wheels?".  Nice! But they look familiar then she tells me that our other friend, let's call him Rider RX, sold them to her for $500. Reynolds carbon deep rim wheels.

Um OK! I once had a lady contact me and ask for Rider RX's email or cell phone# as she wanted to contact him. I said that I would like to but I am not sure if Rider RX would be upset if I gave out his contact info. Then she told me that she had met Rider RX on a ride, found out that he knew me as well. The lady has a sweet bike, custom paint Colnago with custom color wheels to match her bike.  Nice lady and her hubby has a sweet bike too. So ended up Rider RX complimented her wheels and said he wish he could afford a set like them.

This lady is too kind. She was impressed with Rider RX's medical condition, somewhat of a handicap when it comes to his respiratory system. He did good by continuing to ride after some throat complications, won't say too much but she was impressed with his will to continue on.

So impressed that she told me the reason she wanted to contact him was that she found a set of Reynold's carbon wheels, used but new condition through her bike shop. The going price for a used set then was about $1,000 from what I was told. She told me she did get a little better deal than that. WOW! So I figure he wouldn't mind getting contacted by someone who just spent a few hundred dollars on him, so I gave her his number.

About 6 months go by and he buys his own set of custom wheels, about $700. He rides them more often than the Reynolds.

So I am looking at the wheels our friend is showing us and hmm, it is the Reynolds carbon wheels that lady had given him a couple years back. :wacko:

I couldn't do it. First off, I could not accept something from a person wanting to give me something expensive. I wouldn't accept them. 

Secondly, if for some reason I was convinced to take something of value like that, because they were impressed with my efforts in life,  no way would I ever sell them. I would keep them and cherish them and ride them till they evaporated.

Maybe it's just me, but I think it's just wrong. Selling such a gift to make a few bucks. It's not like the guy is hurting for money, he just bought another bike for about $6000.

4 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Meh. I try to REGIFT gifts! Win-win! :happyanim:

My SiL regifts every time. She teaches kindergarten and gets a lot of stuff and gift cards from parents.

I gave her some Irish Breakfast Tea and a travel mug with an infuser for her birthday. The tea showed up in a Christmas gift to my step-daughter that year. 

Anyway… @Mr Beanz, I agree that it’s a little tacky to sell off an expensive gift. I heard that people do that with stuff they got on the Oprah show or from Ellen, too. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1