Thelma Lou dies at 95

Ralphie

I knew her more for playing Betty Anderson on Father Knows Best.  The actress, Elinor Donahue, had a brother who became a big success after her: Phil Donahue.  She became Ellie on Andy Griffish right after Robert Young (the father) and Jayne Wyatt (the mother) decided to end Father Knows Best during a Screen Writers Guild strike in 1960.

She was 84, not 95, otherwise she'd never have passed for a teenager in the 50's.

The Betty Anderson character, restricted to a highly moral role, probably didn't become a big heartthrob with the teenyboppers like Shelley Fabares (still alive at 77) did while playing the hot daughter, Mary Stone, on the Donna Reed Show, partly because Mary Stone seemed more like a real teenager because she was, in real life, 7 years younger than Elinor Donahue. Donna Reed ran from 1958-63 while Father Knows Best ran from 1954-60.  Shelley used the show to introduce the song "Johnny Angel" that became a big hit on the charts the same way Ricky Nelson (died in 1985 at 45) introduced, "Hello May Lou" (below) on his parents' show, The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet."

5 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

That got me to wondering what Andy Griffith show cast members are still with us. I will guess Gomer for one, oh and of course Ron Howard.

Oops, WRONG, Gomer died in 2017 in Honolulu. I think Geuber has been dead a while?  Yup, 2012.

Elinor Donahue (Ellie Walker) was on the show for such a short time, I really don't think of her as a main cast member.  So for me, Opie is the only one left.  

• Heart 1

17 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Elinor Donahue (Ellie Walker) was on the show for such a short time, I really don't think of her as a main cast member.  So for me, Opie is the only one left.  

Opie cheated big time. Eb just had a slight lead. :D  Weird that aunt bea only died a couple of years ago, not that much before Thelma Lou.   

2 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Weird that aunt bea only died a couple of years ago, not that much before Thelma Lou.   

Remember the Golden Girls where Estelle Getty (the feisty mom) was IRL younger than Betty White and Bea Arthur!  Weird to play the "old" person when you're actually one of the younger ones :D

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Remember the Golden Girls where Estelle Getty (the feisty mom) was IRL younger than Betty White and Bea Arthur!  Weird to play the "old" person when you're actually one of the younger ones :D

Oops!  I screwed that one up!  Aunt bea died all the way back in 1989 at the age of 87 or so. I guess I just read an article about it a few years ago. Never mind!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Road Runner said:

Barney was an idiot. 

WoBG and I started watching all of the shows in order starting with season 1 recently.   OMG... the first several shows, Andy wasn't much better than Barney.  Slowly Andy changed to be the sheriff we all know.  

Yeah Barney was a idiot.  I still like when he loads his bullet into his gun.   You know what will happen soon.

3 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

WoBG and I started watching all of the shows in order starting with season 1 recently.   OMG... the first several shows, Andy wasn't much better than Barney.  Slowly Andy changed to be the sheriff we all know.  

Yeah Barney was a idiot.  I still like when he loads his bullet into his gun.   You know what will happen soon.

Yes, but I was mainly referring to his dating Thelma Lou for so long and never marrying her.  He should have married her at the earliest possible opportunity. 

Marrying up at it's maximum.   :)

• Thank You 1

1 hour ago, Road Runner said:

Yes, but I was mainly referring to his dating Thelma Lou for so long and never marrying her.  He should have married her at the earliest possible opportunity. 

Marrying up at it's maximum.   :)

He was tagging Juanita on the side, so why marry Thelma Lou seeing he was getting his cake and eating it too!? :whistle: