Speaking of television...

Road Runner

Today's TVs seem bulletproof.  They never break.  But I remember when TV's broke quite often, and the sight of a TV repairman's truck in the neighborhood was a very common sight.  And because they were relatively expensive, a typical family only had one TV.  If your TV broke and it had to go into the shop, you were screwed!    :(

• Heart 1

Nope. I don't remember those days :(

We had a 1980 Zenith that needed a new something or other in the mid 90s.  My brother had an early Samsung LED that needed some part in the mid-2000s when it was like a year old - a very big recall by them if I remember. 

Other than that, all our old TVs were just landfilled while still working and never repaired.

7 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

I remember being probably one of the last people to get a tv repaired, in the late 80s or so. :D
I also remember the tube testers in corner stores.   That was nuts!  Mainly because the voltages and charged capacitors inside a tv were dangerous!

Moving a TV used to be a two man operation.  Those fuckers were heavy!  Nowadays, moving a TV might be a two man operation because they are so damn large, you don't want to clip a corner or something with them and need someone watching out for you.

12 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

I also remember the tube testers in corner stores.   That was nuts!  Mainly because the voltages and charged capacitors inside a tv were dangerous!

We had one a few blocks from my house in the local soda shop/whatever store.  The problem was, they didn't work all that well, and people bought tubes that the tester said were bad or weak, but it still didn't fix the problem.  What a racket!  :D

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, bikeman564™ said:

I have two TVs. A 20" Sony from 1990, and a 36" Sony from 2006. Both still work :) The older TV isn't as crisp, but who cares? And it's only been serviced one time, to degauss it. I'm on a mission to see how long it lasts.

I have a 27" RCA I bought new in 91.  It is now in my bedroom.  In 30 years, it has never had a single problem.  :)

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

7 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Moving a TV used to be a two man operation.  Those fuckers were heavy!  Nowadays, moving a TV might be a two man operation because they are so damn large, you don't want to clip a corner or something with them and need someone watching out for you.

I had a 30" flat screen tube TV that my mother bought for us. I think that it was one of the last tube TVs produced. It weighed 135 pounds. We have a 60" TV that I can easily lift by myself but it's a little unwieldy being so large.

10 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Still is. My 36" Sony IIRC is 200 lb. These TVs are awkward because they're front heavy.

• Awesome 1

22 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

Still is. My 36" Sony IIRC is 200 lb. These TVs are awkward because they're front heavy.

My brother's 35" first gen HDTV with a CRT was "left behind" when he moved out of his final apartment.  It was SOOOO heavy and he was up several levels.  Just said "adios" to it and let the next tenants have a "free" TV :D

• Heart 1

My flat screen is now 12 years old.  The power board went wonky so sometimes it would not turn on.  A little bit of google, a little bit of YouTube and I ended up ordering a piece from an electronic shop and fixed it myself.  That was 4 years ago.  I am pretty much a TV repair man, minus the buttons cleavage 

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

My brother's 35" first gen HDTV with a CRT was "left behind" when he moved out of his final apartment.  It was SOOOO heavy and he was up several levels.  Just said "adios" to it and let the next tenants have a "free" TV :D

Funny thing. I bought my TV from Circuit City, and the delivery guy said "don't ever move" :D

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1