Besides Me and SquareWheels...

Razors Edge
Go to solution Solved by Zephyr,

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

...does anyone else have electronic shifting on their bikes?

@Square Wheels has the SRAM (I think) and I have Di2, but now that it has been out for over a decade, I'd think more folks here would have it?

Anybody?

Hahaha, my shifting is only thanks to you at this moment. I'd have to buy something new, which at this moment is not in the cards

• Heart 2

7 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

Mechanical for me so far. However I might go with electronic shifting on my next bike.

My next bike will definitely have disc brakes. Two of my five bikes have discs now and I like them.

100% on the disc brakes - especially if I get the hang of de-squealing them :)  I might actually swing by an LBS this week and pick up new pads for the Diverge to see if that changes things.

From a mechanical vs electronic, I'd say that Shimano will make it a pretty "black/white" issue as they phase it in to all the higher level stuff as the sole option.  DA, Ultegra, and eventually 105 will likely all be Di2 and disc brakes.  It simplifies their product line and obviously allows using some bits between gruppos?

In five years on Di2, I've never made an adjustment.  It was 99% dialed in from the LBS, and then, with a new rear wheel swapped on, I made the one and only adjustment that has stood for these five years.  That's a long time without futzing with the shifting.

Just now, Longjohn said:

Ok I don’t want to be on a tour and have the battery go dead on my shifter and no way to shift the gears.

I do have it on good authority - @denniS! - that you only need one darn gear anyway.  So, a dead battery would actually up your game!

I made the dead battery rookie mistake - ONCE.  In fact, just last ride, the Garmin told me my Di2 was at 20% (two to three weeks charge left?), so I charged it up last night.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I do have it on good authority - @denniS! - that you only need one darn gear anyway.  So, a dead battery would actually up your game!

I made the dead battery rookie mistake - ONCE.  In fact, just last ride, the Garmin told me my Di2 was at 20% (two to three weeks charge left?), so I charged it up last night.

When the battery goes dead does it stay in the last gear you were in?

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

When the battery goes dead does it stay in the last gear you were in?

If I remember, it first stops allowing front shifts.  Then, when it goes to zero, you are in you easiest gear.  That's fine for some steep hills, but man does it suck pedaling that for an hour!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, UglyBob said:

I'm old school on everything with gears, and my favorite bike doesn't shift.

I use Rock and Roll Gold, and it keeps stuff shifting like butter, but @Square Wheels seems to have the prettiest drivetrain and it shifts like butter AND as quietly as a church mouse.  Check out his thread and you can get back to shifting in no time :happyanim:

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

I use Rock and Roll Gold, and it keeps stuff shifting like butter, but @Square Wheels seems to have the prettiest drivetrain and it shifts like butter AND as quietly as a church mouse.  Check out his thread and you can get back to shifting in no time :happyanim:

Um...my favorite bile doesn't shift by choice. It's a fixie...

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

If I remember, it first stops allowing front shifts.  Then, when it goes to zero, you are in you easiest gear.  That's fine for some steep hills, but man does it suck pedaling that for an hour!

And I just changed cassettes and now have a granny gear that is walking speed.

10 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Me too. I really like the bar end shifters on my 520, this new bike has brifters but they are different from the ones on my 16 year old road bike. Now I have to remember three different ways to shift according to which bike I’m on.

I just donated my 4 Shimano equipped bikes.  I am down to a SRAM only fleet now. :) 

56 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

...does anyone else have electronic shifting on their bikes?

@Square Wheels has the SRAM (I think) and I have Di2, but now that it has been out for over a decade, I'd think more folks here would have it?

Anybody?

I am alarmed at how fast electronic shifting was developed, no way will you or Dr. Shimano force me to ride an experimental shifting method!  More testing is needed, I am not your guinea pig!  No electronic shifting mandates!

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

I am alarmed at how fast electronic shifting was developed, no way will you or Dr. Shimano force me to ride an experimental shifting method!  More testing is needed, I am not your guinea pig!  No electronic shifting mandates!

The Amish that ride still have horse drawn shifting.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Well, it is likely going to wither and die on the vine, so your attitude it the correct one.  Realistically, there is no rational reason anyone rides a modern bike. The tech was pretty much as advanced as needed by the time they rolled out for the very first TdF, and since then, it's just been marketing and hype.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Well, it is likely going to wither and die on the vine, so your attitude it the correct one.  Realistically, there is no rational reason anyone rides a modern bike. The tech was pretty much as advanced as needed by the time they rolled out for the very first TdF, and since then, it's just been marketing and hype.

I will have it eventually, I am sure.

Just now, Kirby said:

My trike doesn't have any shifting.

I covered this for Bob, but here's a recap!

I use Rock and Roll Gold, and it keeps stuff shifting like butter, but @Square Wheels seems to have the prettiest drivetrain and it shifts like butter AND as quietly as a church mouse.  Check out his thread and you can get back to shifting in no time

11 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I have ridden only my single speed road bike all this year.  Adding a shifter of any type would be silly.  

As I mentioned in a different thread, the beauty of the latest Shimano Dura-Ace gruppo is the rapid ability to choose which single speed works best for you.  Essentially, a two second mod to your drivetrain set-up, and you can be set with a SS for a flat area, a hilly/rolling area, or even an epic mountain day.  No more futzing with picking that perfect combination and then swapping a cog out, flipping a wheel, or lengthening/shortening the chain.  Shimano has you covered!  SS riding at it's best.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

As I mentioned in a different thread, the beauty of the latest Shimano Dura-Ace gruppo is the rapid ability to choose which single speed works best for you.  Essentially, a two second mod to you drivetrain, and you can be set up for SS in a flat area, a hilly/rolling area, or even an epic mountain day.  No more futzing with picking that perfect combination and then swapping a cog out, flipping a wheel, or lengthening/shortening the chain.  Shimano has you covered!  SS riding at it's best.

I always ride on flat roads.  We have no hills here where I live.  Strong winds sometimes make me wish I had 3 gears (headwind, no wind, tailwind), but most of the time, my 52/16  is perfect for me.  

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I always ride on flat roads.  We have no hills here where I live.  Strong winds sometimes make me wish I had 3 gears (headwind, no wind, tailwind), but most of the time, my 52/16  is perfect for me.  

Man, this makes me a little sad :(  But, it could be worse - Tizeye and goldendesign are in Florida!

4 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Single speed makes sense for flat roads, whatever they are.

• Heart 1