I don't understand apple picking

Randomguy
Go to solution Solved by donkpow,

13 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Why would I go someplace far away and pay way more for apples than if I went to the store?

Discus.

Our apple orchards are less expensive than our stores.  And, how many bees chase you in a grocery??? None I bet. You're missing out on life!

• Heart 2

We had the cutest pictures of daughter #2 on an apple picking trip. Agro-entertainment is big busyness here in suburbia. The winery overflows with people sitting outside enjoying expensive wine and cheese. Same overflowing for the brewery which is expanding, although it has little of the outdoor seating that I would prefer. The country store in an apple orchard is booming, as is the Halloween event on a farm nearby. 

Our favourite apple orchard closed decades ago. It was beautiful, near the canoe rental place. The ones close by are more prosaic. 

• Heart 2

2 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

We had the cutest pictures of daughter #2 on an apple picking trip. Agro-entertainment is big busyness here in suburbia. The winery overflows with people sitting outside enjoying expensive wine and cheese. Same overflowing for the brewery which is expanding, although it has little of the outdoor seating that I would prefer. The country store in an apple orchard is booming, as is the Halloween event on a farm nearby. 

Two fairly large brewery/wineries that used to be on our annual rides went out of business during Covid. Lots of outdoor seating. The one used to host our lunch stop.

22 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I can’t remember the names. Both were stops on tour of Mercer County. The one had a shop attached that sold kayaks and outdoor equipment.

This is sad - their last year.  I like the idea of an estate brewery.  We need one here.  This place is in the absolute middle of nowhere though!

https://www.spraguefarm.com/

• Heart 1

• Solution

apple-pink-lady.png

Let me explain something to you. The apple pictured above is what I call a "table apple". It is produced primarily for its size and appearance. The quantity of chemicals applied to the the apple orchard to produce an apple like this is astounding. Apples do not naturally look that. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, donkpow said:

The apple pictured above is what I call a "table apple". It is produced primarily for its size and appearance. The quantity of chemicals applied to the the apple orchard to produce an apple like this is astounding. Apples do not naturally look that. 

Ok, NOW you are making some sense!  

You should do that more often.

Apples are cheaper, fresher, and lack,lots of the chemicals store apples have. Plus it is fun. You would get great pictures and make a lifetime of memories. If you would finally plan to come here, we could take RO on a hayride, pick,apples, eat cider doughnuts, and try our luck at the corn maze. 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 2

17 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

Spragues Farm wasn’t one, was it?  That is a cool place!

That’s owned by my cousin.  They officially closed last Saturday.  I think their plan is to still brew, just close the retail, food, entertainment part.  I think they will open a coup times a year for fund raiser events.

18 hours ago, Longjohn said:

And canned peaches, available year round.

During the Vietnam War, canned peaches were one element of the “D” (dessert) unit of the combat rations issued to troops in the field. Canned peaches were frequently combined with pound cake, another element of the dessert unit ration. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Kzoo said:

That’s owned by my cousin.  They officially closed last Saturday.  I think their plan is to still brew, just close the retail, food, entertainment part.  I think they will open a coup times a year for fund raiser events.

Sounds like they had some rough times the last year or so. That stinks. 

• Sad 1

I don't think apple picking is really about getting apples, although people who bake or preserve fruit may use all the apples they get.  It's more about having an activity that you can do with kids in beautiful autumn weather, and it's usually combined with apple cider donuts, some sort of a petting zoo and a "country store" where people from NYC go nuts buying apple themed products.  There are also likely to be cutouts for posing for pictures. or some sort of a play park for kids.

The downside is that there tend to be crowds if you go on a weekend.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 2

6 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

During the Vietnam War, canned peaches were one element of the “D” (dessert) unit of the combat rations issued to troops in the field. Canned peaches were frequently combined with pound cake, another element of the dessert unit ration. 

One of the best treats when we were fighting fires in the mid-60s.

On 10/19/2021 at 10:53 AM, Randomguy said:

Why would I go someplace far away and pay way more for apples than if I went to the store?

You have obviously have never traveled to an apple orchard.   We can pick them... I just go inside there store and buy them.   

This is where we go for great apples.  https://www.tannersorchard.com/  

• Heart 1