Steel Cut Oatmeal - playing with recipes - this works for me

MickinMD

Here's an oatmeal recipe I varied until I got what I wanted in texture and taste.

I wanted something a little chewier and nuttier than instant oatmeal and wanted a very easy recipe: pressure cooking it in an Instant Pot worked best for me because you don't have to keep and eye on it and stir it, but making it on a stove top is about just as quick.

I have adjusted amounts and times each time I cooked it until I got to the recipe below, which is fine! The oatmeal is not hard but chewy enough to feel sort of "al dente." The major change from online recipes was to cut up an apple into bite size pieces and nuke it in 1/4 cup of water for 2 minutes so it keeps a little crunch, adding it to the oatmeal at the end, instead of adding it to the oatmeal to be cooked, where it gets too mushy:

This is the steel cut oatmeal with bananas, strawberries, blueberries and microwave-steamed apples mixed in and makes three filling breakfasts for me beginning with 1 cup of steel cut oats: refrigerating it and nuking it over several days doesn't degrade it, though it thickens a little and needs a little milk or water. I add a little Sugar Free Pancake Syrup to it just before I eat it.

image.png.55e08d1bf9358b7d6c16048e331f4951.png

Ingredients

1 c. steel cut oats (supposedly the best and healthiest: McCann’s Irish Steel Cut Oats)

2 c. water divided (1 3/4 cups in Instant Pot, 1/4 cup with diced apple in microwave)

1 c. 2% milk (any milk, including cashew milk, almond milk, etc. works)

1/2 -1 tsp. ground cinnamon

Dash/Sprinkle of kosher salt

1 Apple (I used Honeycrisp, one recipe recommends Macintosh): peeled, cored, and diced into bite size (1/2” to 3/4”) pieces

2 tbsp. Honey or maple syrup (or any breakfast syrup) for serving, plus more if wanted.

1/2 - 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

Recommended additions: sliced banana, sliced strawberries, blueberries, walnuts, toasted sliced almonds, for serving.

Directions

1. Combine oats, water, milk, cinnamon, and salt in Instant pot. Press the manual setting and set the cooking time for 3 minutes on high (it takes about 5 minutes to reach high pressure). Let steam release naturally and flip the release valve at 15 min (pressure pin may have already dropped),

2. Peel, core, and dice apple into 1/2” to 3/4” cubes, place in microwave bowl with 1/4 cup water with loose plastic cover, steam for 2 min.

3. Remove Instant Pot lid, pour, spoon the oatmeal into a large (1/2 gallon, etc.) bowl and stir in vanilla and nuked apple with its water.

4. Serve topped with syrup, blueberries bananas, etc.

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

Here's an oatmeal recipe I varied until I got what I wanted in texture and taste.

I wanted something a little chewier and nuttier than instant oatmeal and wanted a very easy recipe: pressure cooking it in an Instant Pot worked best for me because you don't have to keep and eye on it and stir it, but making it on a stove top is about just as quick.

I have adjusted amounts and times each time I cooked it until I got to the recipe below, which is fine! The oatmeal is not hard but chewy enough to feel sort of "al dente." The major change from online recipes was to cut up an apple into bite size pieces and nuke it in 1/4 cup of water for 2 minutes so it keeps a little crunch, adding it to the oatmeal at the end, instead of adding it to the oatmeal to be cooked, where it gets too mushy:

This is the steel cut oatmeal with bananas, strawberries, blueberries and microwave-steamed apples mixed in and makes three filling breakfasts for me beginning with 1 cup of steel cut oats: refrigerating it and nuking it over several days doesn't degrade it, though it thickens a little and needs a little milk or water. I add a little Sugar Free Pancake Syrup to it just before I eat it.

image.png.55e08d1bf9358b7d6c16048e331f4951.png

Ingredients

1 c. steel cut oats (supposedly the best and healthiest: McCann’s Irish Steel Cut Oats)

2 c. water divided (1 3/4 cups in Instant Pot, 1/4 cup with diced apple in microwave)

1 c. 2% milk (any milk, including cashew milk, almond milk, etc. works)

1/2 -1 tsp. ground cinnamon

Dash/Sprinkle of kosher salt

1 Apple (I used Honeycrisp, one recipe recommends Macintosh): peeled, cored, and diced into bite size (1/2” to 3/4”) pieces

2 tbsp. Honey or maple syrup (or any breakfast syrup) for serving, plus more if wanted.

1/2 - 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

Recommended additions: sliced banana, sliced strawberries, blueberries, walnuts, toasted sliced almonds, for serving.

Directions

1. Combine oats, water, milk, cinnamon, and salt in Instant pot. Press the manual setting and set the cooking time for 3 minutes on high (it takes about 5 minutes to reach high pressure). Let steam release naturally and flip the release valve at 15 min (pressure pin may have already dropped),

2. Peel, core, and dice apple into 1/2” to 3/4” cubes, place in microwave bowl with 1/4 cup water with loose plastic cover, steam for 2 min.

3. Remove Instant Pot lid, pour, spoon the oatmeal into a large (1/2 gallon, etc.) bowl and stir in vanilla and nuked apple with its water.

4. Serve topped with syrup, blueberries bananas, etc.

You might be overthinking this oatmeal/instapot thing.  Just sayin'.   

My oatmeal today contained a smooshed banana and a diced kiwi, topped with pecans and a touch of brown sugar.