stupid athletes

12string

Not sure if y'all have been following the Ben Simmons mess, but so far this season he's been fined every penny of his salary, mostly for not showing up.  He started showing up, coach tossed him out today, he didn't want to do some of the drills.  He's basically killed his career, thrown away a bazillion dollars.  No team will  want him

Meanwhile ,over on the ice, Evander Kane - already under investigation for spousal abuse and betting on his own games, just got suspended 21 games for a fake vaccine card.  In a league that will still let him play without a vaccine.  His teammates are asking for him to be traded

11 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

You don’t have to be smart to play sports.

Employers often require a Bachelor's degree for clerical jobs that pay barely a living wage. Yet morons get paid gazillions to parade their ignorance in front of the world.  Welcome to America...

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, groupw said:

Employers often require a Bachelor's degree for clerical jobs that pay barely a living wage. Yet morons get paid gazillions to parade their ignorance in front of the world.  Welcome to America...

People complain about someone who starts a business, employs thousands of people and makes a few million in the process makes to much money.....but they think that someone who throws a ball at a million dollars a game is some how worth it 

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, BR46 said:

People complain about someone who starts a business, employs thousands of people and makes a few million in the process makes to much money.....but they think that someone who throws a ball at a million dollars a game is some how worth it 

No. None of those clowns are worth it. But it’s the going rate for spiritually deprived clowns like me that support them by viewing their league’s advertising on TV. At least I don’t pay their ticket prices. Heck who am I fooling? I’m a clown. I’m an addict. They got a 12 step for that too? What would @Razors Edge do? 

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, groupw said:

They only do what the paying public is willing to have then do.  Morons or paid entertainers?

2 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

I am doing my part to bring their salaries down but it is snot working! 

When I hear that the average ticket price to some games is in excess of 1 grand and that it was a sellout I realize that some of us live in a very different environment than others.  The same on 1 million dollar ordinary homes in parts of the country.

• Heart 1

10 hours ago, BR46 said:

Are we suggesting the players should have a "cap", but folks in other industries shouldn't?  Or that we should complain about CEOs and players making too much? Or maybe complain that non-CEOs and non-players make too little?

I think players probably don't make enough. I certainly think non-corporate employees of teams usually don't make enough.  Coaches seem pretty well compensated.  Ownership is all over the place as some do it for fun, some do it for profit, and some do it for a variety of reasons.

Very few people will show up - for free or even for a gift card - to see the SWCF's annual softball/hockey/football game. I think we are under-compensated despite that! Or maybe over-compensated? Hell, I'd settle for compensated!

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, donkpow said:

The big money is with all the other entities involved. From small local businesses to multinationals rake in the dough. Heck, even panhandlers make a killing around sporting events.

Maybe you can work out a side hustle where you convince the major sports leagues to become more fair?  Take the money they would otherwise pay the lazy athletes, and deposit it in your account?  That way, the owners won't be seen as making too much, the players will be properly compensated & also not be making too much, and you can be the "little guy" who is now better off. You'll be the hero we need!

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Maybe you can work out a side hustle where you convince the major sports leagues to become more fair?  Take the money they would otherwise pay the lazy athletes, and deposit it in your account?  That way, the owners won't be seen as making too much, the players will be properly compensated & also not be making too much, and you can be the "little guy" who is now better off. You'll be the hero we need!

I'm currently negotiating a contract with the Cleveland Guardians to have exclusive rights to access the stadium after an event to search for treasure with my metal detector.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, donkpow said:

I'm currently negotiating a contract with the Cleveland Guardians to have exclusive rights to access the stadium after an event to search for treasure with my metal detector.

...so you have the groundwork in place, and we can look forward to this bigger "profit sharing" plan also being pursued?

14 minutes ago, donkpow said:

And not sharing it, right? I hear ya.

My sister said to me.....you have so much money why don't you give me some. 

I asked her...so what is your fair share of what I worked for. 

• Awesome 2

17 hours ago, 12string said:

Meanwhile ,over on the ice, Evander Kane - already under investigation for spousal abuse and betting on his own games, just got suspended 21 games for a fake vaccine card.  In a league that will still let him play without a vaccine.  His teammates are asking for him to be traded

King douche. As with others who do not comply with your companies mandate; you're free to go. Have at it.

4 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

I’m guessing he doesn’t even want him. The guy needs help. 

For the right price, and the right level of desperation from a team, almost any good pro can find a home.  It does end up, though, that some of those pros lose their skills in the process of doing all those other things wrong.  So, a high performing drug-addicted, gambling, misogynistic, dog killer can likely still find a home, but if they lose their skills, that baggage becomes a good reason to bail on them!

• Heart 1

11 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

They only do what the paying public is willing to have then do.  Morons or paid entertainers?

Reflecting back on the OP, the morons (or morans, in forum speak) aren’t the athletes using their talents to get very well compensated. It’s the athletes who are screwing up their mega million dollar contracts by getting suspended by the teams or leagues they play for. Losing 1/4 of your annual salary for forging Covid vaccination cards, or being suspended without pay for conduct unbecoming to the team is the issue at hand.

25 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Reflecting back on the OP, the morons (or morans, in forum speak) aren’t the athletes using their talents to get very well compensated. It’s the athletes who are screwing up their mega million dollar contracts by getting suspended by the teams or leagues they play for. Losing 1/4 of your annual salary for forging Covid vaccination cards, or being suspended without pay for conduct unbecoming to the team is the issue at hand.

Remember that the paying public has been enabling these people for most of their lives.  They didn't turn into spoiled brats just because they could manipulate a ball/puck well.

36 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I guess it is relative?  Does losing 1/4 of your salary hurt you? Me? A janitor? A single mother of four?  To varying degrees for each of us, it would.  Does it hurt Bezos, Musk, or Gates? Not in the least.  So these athletes have an acceptable "pain point" where they would start to worry and/or change.  Of course, some are simply like any other folks - messed up.  Like a CPA might do something that gets them to lose their credentials, or a military officer might risk court martial, an athlete (there are thousands and thousands of them) might ruin their golden ticket. Mental health issues cut across all demographics.

15 hours ago, BR46 said:

You are painting with a wide brush. Some folks don't support either practice.

• Heart 2

15 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

So they’re ill, not morans? Or maybe both? Could be. 

Mike Tyson is a perfect case study - mental health, troubled upbringing, head trauma, and other stuff.  Is he a moran? Would any of us done more or better than he in the identical situation? Was it him? The people around him? The industry? The media? The fans? 

At least these top paid folks have a relatively nice "safety net". 

1 minute ago, donkpow said:

Maybe they are just pretending being stupid, having a nefarious plan to subject all mankind to mind control.

Clearly the ones avoiding the vaccine are in on the mind control plot!  Probably early investors and just providing a diversion from folks actually being present in their own lives?

• Awesome 1

Just now, Prophet Zacharia said:

I’ll focus on the two athletes cited in the OP. Thanks.

He deserves his own thread! But, those other two are relatively unknown to me so less good info to go on!  How were their childhoods?  Any history of abuse?  Mental health issues in their families? Are their agents and hangers-on good or bad influences? Does either own a tiger? Could you go a round with either?