The 27th o' September

TrentonMakes

You guys are amazing to me.  Two hours on the bike is about all I ever want to do.  I can't imagine riding for 4-6 hours.  bowdown.gif

I rode 24.5 miles at the Swamp.  Ran over a snake and got attacked by hordes of mosquitos.  Won't be going back there any time soon.   :(   

How am I supposed to "like" this post when you ran over a snake??!!  Poor guy was just out gettin' some sun.  Ah well, you were out on your bike, so I will "like."

What the heck was I don't last night that got me eaten up by mosquitoes??? Oh ya! I took my husband's cat for a walk. Came home and, dang, I was all eaten up on my lower legs!

How am I supposed to "like" this post when you ran over a snake??!!  Poor guy was just out gettin' some sun.  

Believe me, I tried to avoid him.   :o   He was lying in the road motionless and I didn't see him until the last second, and then only because he started squirming.  I don't think I hurt him too much, though.  When I came back going the opposite direction, he was gone.

Photos from Saturday's ride...... this is the old train station in Hopewell Borough, NJ.  Beautiful old building.  The last time I was here was a memorial service for a client I'd worked with for years, a really nice guy and a well-liked local councilman.  I didn't realize that the Community Room at this building had been named after him (apparently it was dedicated in June).  That was really nice to see - it was sort of a spur-of-the-moment idea to take the couple-block detour past this building and I'm really glad I did.

20140927_102807_zps5e719aab.jpg

20140927_102828_zpsb6627af2.jpg

Heading north out of Hopewell is a road that's very popular for cycling, over "Sourland Mountain"  - saw a bunch of other riders out there.  First time I ever rode it myself - it might be a long time before I ride it again because there are almost no shoulders, car speeds are high and the road is in rough shape.  We are starting to get some color here.

20140927_103524_zps068a896f.jpg

20140927_103528_zps2e866736.jpg

Back to Lambertville, which has been a stop on many of my rides this summer (including water/Gatorade at Valparaiso's Deli).  Heading out of town I climbed the hill on a different street and found a cemetery with a great view.  I could imagine parking myself here for eternity.

20140927_120045_zps931816a4.jpg

The almost 42 miles on the day brings my YTD to 497.  The almost 2,400 feet of climbing was a high for 2014 - as I noted before I was gassed at the end.  For most of my rides this year I had a time constraint but this day I could have ridden for another hour, at least, if my body was open to the idea.  It wasn't.  I didn't sleep well the night before; without that excuse I'd probably see this ride as a setback.

• Heart 3

Smudge, you ride a Specialized Sirrus?  My daughter is looking at the base model of that bike - how do you like it?  She really liked it on a test ride.

I will say this: it's my second Sirrus. My first Sirrus was a left-over from 2005 that showed up in my LBS. It was leaning against a wall, and I said, "What's that?" with lust in my voice. I took a ride and instantly fell in love. I hadn't been on a "nice" bike in probably 15 years. It was a Sirrus Sport Disc.  I had seen a bunch of orange bikes this spring and was jonesin' for a new one. So I traded in the 2005 and got the 2014. Again, disc brakes which I love.

I've always enjoyed riding my Sirrus bikes. They are fairly fast and nimble for a straight bar bike. Comfortable in that you can generally feel confident on it. I just wish Specialized would pull their heads out of their azz and go back to making the XS frame; some of us still need that!!  Anyway, I love the Sirrus bikes; I call them my knockin' around bikes. They get me to the store, my mom's house, or out for a 30 mile ride.  It's the bike I'll pack and ship to NY when I take my trip in May.  My daughter has a Vita (the sister to the Sirrus), and she loves that bike too.

• Heart 1