So sad.

maddmaxx

One of my outlaws was begging family members for money yesterday.  He, wife and daughter are living in a motel room after losing their apartment for non payment of rent.  Most family members (metoo) are loaned out to this couple after years of borrowing.  They always have money for "recreational chemicals" but can't pay the rent.

• Sad 12

50 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

One of my outlaws was begging family members for money yesterday.  He, wife and daughter are living in a motel room after losing their apartment for non payment of rent.  Most family members (metoo) are loaned out to this couple after years of borrowing.  They always have money for "recreational chemicals" but can't pay the rent.

So how does that work? Motels cost more than rent don’t they? Does Salvation Army or Welfare put them up? 

3 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

So how does that work? Motels cost more than rent don’t they? Does Salvation Army or Welfare put them up? 

Pay by the day for one.  Off season rates for another.

Of course they are borrowing money because they are being kicked out of the motel too.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

When I had rental properties if you didn’t get them out before October they got to stay rent free until spring. I said screw that and converted them into single family homes and sold them off.

A lot of landlords, the good ones as well as the bad are underwater because of "the vid".

I can't get myself to give to those types.  I have a cousin, married a chick who uses and he is an alcoholic. Little gang of kids and a raunchy car. Always in and out of apartments. Her habit is pretty bad and she is always getting involved with other men and women. 

But he's my Dad's nephew so he would tell my brother and I that if we had any extra to donate or any way to help him out, maybe we could toss some cash his way.

WTH! Dude has every major boxing match on ppv, every sporting event, big screeen tv, on demand, all the stuff I don't have. Goes to MLB and NFL games. Not to mention cases of booze on event day.

I'd rather buy myself a couple of spare tires then help these types.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

In my family, loaning money is incredibly infrequent   (ie. every 25 yrs. :) or so  ), with a hopeful expected result (graduate with your educational degree).  what would be more expected is probably visiting and a family member giving some food, long overdue birthday/Christmas gift or some item they no longer needed. 

Crossin' fingers it will remain this way.  Maybe some folks in a vague way are hoping for inheritances...that's ok. However everyone right now just slugs away at their jobs, lives responsibly in the best way they can..

After  some cousins immigrated  to Canada, I think they paid their moolah quickly to my father....who himself didn't have much money 'cause supporting a big family of his own. 

• Heart 1

Although not a druggie my middle brother is a spendie and in our 20’s & 30’s was always asking me for money or to co-sign on loans for motorcycles & such.

At first I would help him but it got to the point where the more I helped the more he asked so I just cut him off.  

Then I’d get the guilt trips, my credits gonna suck thanks to you.  No your credit sucks thanks to you. Fucking own it and quit blaming others for you actions.  He stopped asking for money after a while.

He is nearing retirement and has a nice retirement plan but he is in huge credit debt due to his frivolous spending. 

• Sad 1

49 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

However everyone right now just slugs away at their jobs, lives responsibly in the best way they can..

We stop at a little park called Edna Park on our trail rides to use the facilities and refill our bottles. Most times, there are homeless and punks hanging out in the restrooms. Sometimes 3 GUYS in the women's restroom doing who knows what! Girls and guys camping out in the women's restroom hanging clothes over the stall walls. In the men's room, another 1 or 2 guys smoking weed or crack in the stall. Sometimes with a line of women cyclists waiting to use the restroom. Frustrating so I will call them out and tell them there is a line. Most are cool about it but then there is always the one that has to mouth off. The guys don't say much so it's usually a chick that runs her mouth.

Last time, the gal came out and said something stupid. I told her there are women waiting to use the restroom while she was taking a bath (in the bowl I guess). She said well us homeless need a place to bathe too. I told her that is fine but it's not right that she takes up the women's restroom while a line of women are waiting.  Then she said, "well, where are we supposed to bathe?".  I told her to get a job like the rest of us, make a home for yourself then you will have your own place to bathe.  :whistle:

She had some cholo looking punk boyfriend with her. He just grabbed her and started dragging her away while she was running her mouth. I guess he understood what I was saying. :lol:

I've always thought there were better things to do than slug away at my job all day but no way would I ever end up like this because I didn't want to work.

This is a pretty normal thing at this park on every ride.  Druggies taking up the restroom, washing up, taking up the stalls to smoke crack, whatever they do other than getting a life and a job.

This chick, yeah it's a chick was tripping pretty hard! These are the better pics. Sometimes they have a lot more packed in there. Even the cleaning lady has to wait for them to clear out. And sadly, they think it's their home. The dude in the wheelchair, he has a rep for breaking into cars at the park and along the residential area. 

I have a cycling friend who lives in the area. She's real big into law enforcement and communicating problems to them. So she asks me to send her pics when I see them here. They clean them out as much as possible but they return, usually with more friends.

Wouldn't be here if they went to work and slugged away at their jobs like the rest of us.

202232227_5903598756379240_159587415547798442_n.jpg

240966965_6302331723172606_7534025577956463511_n.jpg

241045734_6302331769839268_2122026396718987170_n.jpg

241112169_6302331739839271_8223661501104461420_n.jpg

I often wonder how much of the family people on the street have alienated, or whether they’re just alone in the world. 
No one in my generation has asked to borrow money. Our kids, though, are not where we were at their age. No home ownership or college savings, no pension or investments. 

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

No one in my generation has asked to borrow money. Our kids, though, are not where we were at their age. No home ownership or college savings, no pension or investments. 

We'll see for sure.  My generation - siblings and cousins - are all pretty well squared away by now.  But, the oldest kids of my sibs/cousins are starting to complete college and have to join the "real world".  Some are seemingly fine and thriving, while others are a bit lost.  With almost all well supported financially by their parents, it's gonna be interesting if that help gives them extra time to figure stuff out or just exacerbates the situation.  Time will tell, but with a couple dozen, there will likely be some that do better than others.

One of my BILs asked us to loan him$11,000 in 1990. He sorta forgot to make 2 years worth of house payments and was going to be evicted. Not no but hell no. He's declared bankruptcy twice.

He also had a scheme where he and his daughter were going to visit us in England around the same time. He was going to take off and leave her there for us to raise. That also was a big hell no.

• Heart 1

38 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

With almost all well supported financially by their parents, it's gonna be interesting if that help gives them extra time to figure stuff out or just exacerbates the situation.

I have always wondered...  When does 'well supported by the parrents'   become  'entitlement'?    Like.. they get lots of stuff for not doing anything?   

53 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

No one in my generation has asked to borrow money.

If I wanted something, I worked for money to buy it. In HS and then during collage,  I worked fixing cars, installing chain link fences, hauling stuff and setting up venues for a catering service, etc..   Ask to borrow money... never...  I'd go without.   I had almost zero college debt when I graduated.   

55 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

have to join the "real world".     

Yeah... the 'participation awards' they got don't help in the world.    That always amazed me to see those types of awards.  And the children were happy to get them. :(

• Heart 1

59 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

I often wonder how much of the family people on the street have alienated, or whether they’re just alone in the world. 

Back in the day I treated homeless like criminals or vermin really. Just leave my city so I don’t have to deal with you.  It was common for us to pick them up and drop them off deep in a neighboring city. 

Now I’m no expert on the matter but more & more I realize it’s a mental health issue and not a criminal issue.  Homelessness is often a byproduct of the mental health issues. Drug addiction is also high with the homeless population which is also attributed to  mental health issues.  

Often times they do have a family but they are at wits end or they have just withdrawn from a loving family who might otherwise help. 

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, MoseySusan said:

Gina's sister was homeless by choice for a couple of years.  Gina's father passed away a few years ago, each child got $100,000. Gina's sister, one of 5 children, went out into the street and gave people sitting at bus stops and homeless camps money. She gave away a lot of it and used the rest to party with her friends, all druggies. Ended up losing her home she owned. Went out to live on the streets with her girlfriend. Living by rail road tracks in a tent. 

She had the option of living with Gina's Mom but she didn't want to follow the rules. No late night entries, no drugs, no booze, no homeless friends in her home. She chose to stay out living in a tent partying it up with her friends. 

• Sad 4

6 hours ago, ChrisL said:

He is nearing retirement and has a nice retirement plan but he is in huge credit debt due to his frivolous spending.

If he wants to get out of debt he needs to keep working. Sign up for social security and pension if he has one. At full retirement age there is no penalty if you deep working

• Heart 2

34 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

If he wants to get out of debt he needs to keep working. Sign up for social security and pension if he has one. At full retirement age there is no penalty if you deep working

I don’t see him ever getting out of debt. This is my brother… Buys a new mtn bike as he wants to get into it. A few months later buys another as it was on sale. A few months later goes to the LBS for tires and buys a third mtn bike. All three bikes fit the same niche and all bought in credit.  So he then wants to take up hiking. 5 pairs of shoes/boots, hydration packs, several different hats & blue tooth speakers.  

This is his MO and it hasn’t ever changed nor will it. 

• Sad 2

About 30 yrs. ago, I noticed my brother had and wore 15+ prs. of shoes....most walking/hiking/running shoes. I vaguely wondered but figured he worked his job for his shoe thing...just like some women. I'm sure he's gotten better since he bought his own townhouse and car.

I do wonder at death, if we find out some surprises amongst our immediate family members of their financial situation. For sure, none of us...meaning self and siblings, ever thought we would get any inheritance since our parents were and have been poor all their lives.  So with no fallback (except getting a meal), just become responsible yourself.   Because of our upbringing and watching stress on parents on making ends meet, all  of us tend to be a little careful. Not obsessed, just aware.  

For sure, for family food gatherings at a home or restaurant, there's not much thought on saving money since it's the event of being together and sharing most important.  (eating at a Chinese restaurant one can eat very well, multiple dishes still at decent price)