Online reviews

Parsnip Totin Jack

Do you participate? Today I received a request to review the replacement lid for  a Camelback Podium water bottle. What for? It’s a lid for a water bottle. “Did it meet my expectations?” If my expectations were anything other than the lid goes on top of the water bottle and secured by a few clockwise direction turns then I should not have ordered it. Amazon dunderheads. 

FED0D326-B427-4CF9-A58C-0BF8302CF386.jpeg

• Haha 1

I'm guessing it's just the default request for a review, and no human ever examines the actual need for soliciting reviews? They must have 10s of millions, if not more, items, and soliciting that feedback for everything probably helps most with knock-off stuff that likely has big potential for crappiness.  So, the blanket request makes little sense for some stuff, but in a bigger sense helps the whole as it might help Amazon weed out the junk faster?

Another thing would be to mention, "I have a Camelback ZBD-440 and this worked perfectly."  What often happens is a brand evolves stuff over time, so this lid would fit your ZBD-440, but maybe not  a XYZ-330.  By offering the review - not just a rating - you let folks down the line be able to avoid misordering or not being sure if it works with their version.

1 hour ago, Bikeguy said:

Usually a few days after I buy ink for my printer I get an email asking me to review the ink.  :facepalm:   It's just INK...  why would I want to write a review about ink?

leave a blank review titled this ink sucks and disappears minutes after I type.

• Awesome 1

I do because I believe there are too many clowns giving bad reviews because of their own stupidity.

I saw one for a GO PRo mount accessory. It was a symmetrical piece, hole on each side except one side had a threaded hole to accept the tip of a Go Pro screw.  One guy had said that the part did not work because they put the hole on the wrong side. WTH! Turn it around dude! 

Another guy gave a bad review to the little $40 GPS unit I bought called a XOSS. He said it was worthless because the continuous on light killed the battery too often. Dude, set the light to auto on at night or turn it off, both options besides the always on option.

I have also gone on yutube review channels and left negative comments about their reviews. I bought a mount once after the guy gave it a good review. It was junk, the barrel was loose so that it could swivel around, Not sloppy loose but loose enough so that the go pro videos came out very shaky and useless.  After I left the comments, the guy says he was recording cycling videos while riding on the sidewalk. Not to mention, he said he realized later it was a piece of junk. So I gave him a piece of mind about boding lousy reviews then leaving them up instead of taking them down or correcting the review. He was receiving free product to test and getting money for doing the reviews on his channel. Worst kind of review clown ever!

Too many clowns out there so at times I will post a review to correct the stupidity of others.  :D

This is the useless part because threads are on the wrong side. :lol:

20211020_152358.jpg

• Heart 1

I don't, and I also don't read them. I work w/ a couple people who will say " I read the reviews" aboot a given product :facepalm: I don't have faith in the reviews, and most people probably complain if something is bad, but not commend if something is good. I've also received review requests.

Sometimes. Depends on my mood when they ask. The ones that make me laugh are when they ask me to answer a question for someone else. 
I ordered some stereo speakers from Amazon once. Someone asked if they would work with their iPhone. I replied yes with the proper adapter and placed a link to a very expensive receiver that could Bluetooth. 

38 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I don't, and I also don't read them. I work w/ a couple people who will say " I read the reviews" aboot a given product :facepalm: I don't have faith in the reviews, and most people probably complain if something is bad, but not commend if something is good. I've also received review requests.

The reviews saved me from buying a junk imitation BOB trailer.  It was a one wheeled trailer that looked just like a BOB but it was $100 less. Then it went on sale for 50% off. It was tempting. Trailers are big and bulky so the shipping would be costly. They finally dropped the price to $60 with free shipping and handling. I couldn’t afford not to buy it, but wait, let’s read the reviews. Every review but one said don’t buy this trailer. It falls apart within days. Not good when you are on the big adventure. One person started up the C&O towpath and their trailer fell apart. They were lucky enough to find a bike shop and buy a BOB for all their stuff. Most of them fell apart during the test rides near home to see how it pulled. The one not bad review was a guy that bought it to haul groceries a few blocks on smooth roads.

• Heart 1

14 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Also, I've discovered that Amazon reviews your reviews prior to publication and removes any that are too critical.

That's probably an up-sell to their customers, and not automatic!

Heck, I'm surprised @donkpow hasn't discussed his side hustle as a "five star reviewer" and his equally profitable gig as a "one star divebomber"!  He'll write you a glowing review for your product (for a fee and a freebie), or will blow up your competition with a devastating critique (also for a fee and a freebie). 

That Dude is VERSATILE!

4 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

That's probably an up-sell to their customers, and not automatic!

Heck, I'm surprised @donkpow hasn't discussed his side hustle as a "five star reviewer" and his equally profitable gig as a "one star divebomber"!  He'll write you a glowing review for your product (for a fee and a freebie), or will blow up your competition with a devastating critique (also for a fee and a freebie). 

That Dude is VERSATILE!

So many labels. Can't a man just be himself?