You California Sissies! How Cold /Hot???

Mr. Beanz

Amazes me how people ball up and crawl in a hole when it gets cool around here. Cool for us is in the 50's. Last night, it was 57 as a low and I was the only one out there. When it is 70's and above, I will see about 20 riders out on the road. Surprised me, felt like an abandoned dog, where is everybody?  :lol:

Here in SoCal, it doesn't get that cold. I have ridden up GMR at night (mountain road) with the temp at 39 degrees. That is about as cold as it gets around here. I think it would be fun to ride in the snow if it were a normal thing around here. 

Last night reminded me of a time I saw a dude on the trail freezing wearing tights, jacket, full finger gloves. face mask, ear muffs, shoe covers on a day of 65 degrees. I was riding in shorts, jersey, and a base layer. He rolled up to the stop where I was filling my water bottle and said, "you must be freezing, how can you stand it?". :o I had just done a ride up in the mountains near Big Bear the day before in the same outfit at 47 degrees. :P

Another time on another site, some lady, let's call her Pam, saw my post about riding up GMR when it was 100 degrees. She started in on my that I did not know what heat was. She rode her bike a few times in Georgia so 100 degrees going up GMR 5,000 ft of gain, was nothing special. She's done longer hotter, tougher rides. Kind of like the female version of Big Kahuna. :lol:

I had been doing GMR with Gina every other week for about 4 months at the time. I invited her to ride along. She said she was 60 so it was too tough. OK, Gina is 58 and our friend Alyce is 60 as well. Nice friendly ride up GMR, you'll like it. Gina is not a fast climber and we stick together. 

Her response: Sorry, it is too hot, it's been 80 degrees.

Asked her again a couple months later. Her response: Sorry, it is too cold, it's been down to 70 degrees. 

Wow OK! 

So viewing and reading some cold posts from some of my cycling friends and acquaintances, I've come to the conclusion that California riders are sissies. :lol:

OK, not all of them but too many! :nodhead: 

I forgot to add this. my fly bys on strava last night, all alone.:D

Capture235.JPG

• Heart 1

50's with a little sea cloud (fog) is downright cold there!  :) 

When I was in PSP a lot, I used to do a loop from PSP to Banning then up Mt San Jacinto to Idylwild(sp) then down into Palm Desert. Part of it was I74 but I can't remember the highway up from Banning.  It was often super cold going into Banning with the wind and the fog from LA just creeping into the valley.  

• Heart 1

You talkin to me!?!?

I’m pretty heat tolerant and have ridden in 100+ degrees with out issue. I did a Mtn bike ride in Vegas in sept of 19 and it was 103 at roll out time and it didn’t bother me one bit.  However I have also done long road marches and lots of hard strenuous work in the south and the humidity is much harder on me.  Pam may have had a point in that humid air is harder on the body (at least mine) than hot dry air.  I wouldn’t do a hard ride in 90+ 90% humidity in the GA. 

My arthritic knees don’t like temps in the 50’s & lower so I wear knee warmers when most are still in shorts.  I’m fine into the 40’s but rarely ride when it’s in the 30’s but it’s rarely in the 30’s… I have a riding jacket & with a base layer, LS jersey, jacket & gloves & I’m good.  I also have a really thin wool cap I wear under my helmet when it’s cold. 

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

That's t-shirt, shorts and sandals (no socks ;)) for walking the dogs in the morning for us.   

Its's 62 in our home now., and that's what It will be until May of June.  

When it was just Gina and I, the temps inside would go from 63 to 88 before we ever turned on an appliance to cool or heat. Actually never to heat and a fan for above 88. We've had central heating and air for 30 years and rarely used it.

No with my Mom, Gina will be cooking at 77 and prepping side dishes, I'm outside grilling then come in and my Mom wants the heat on to 80. Poor Gina is sweating running around trying to put the meal together.

I tell my Mom she needs to get up and help so she warms up. If Gina is running her butt off trying to put dinner together, I don't think it's fair Mom turns up the heat when Gina is already sweating over the stove.

She's a California sissy too! I don't think she or my Dad turned the heat or AC off over a period of 20 years. Their electricity bill was $320 per month because of it. I could buy a pretty nice bike for that much.

15 minutes ago, Wilburger said:

50's with a little sea cloud (fog) is downright cold there!  :) 

When I was in PSP a lot, I used to do a loop from PSP to Banning then up Mt San Jacinto to Idylwild(sp) then down into Palm Desert. Part of it was I74 but I can't remember the highway up from Banning.  It was often super cold going into Banning with the wind and the fog from LA just creeping into the valley.  

Going up to Idlewild is pretty cold. PS because of the wind chill factor at times. I will give 'em that!

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

You talkin to me!?!?

I’m pretty heat tolerant and have ridden in 100+ degrees with out issue. I did a Mtn bike ride in Vegas in sept of 19 and it was 103 at roll out time and it didn’t bother me one bit.  However I have also done long road marches and lots of hard strenuous work in the south and the humidity is much harder on me.  Pam may have had a point in that humid air is harder on the body (at least mine) than hot dry air.  I wouldn’t do a hard ride in 90+ 90% humidity in the GA. 

My arthritic knees don’t like temps in the 50’s & lower so I wear knee warmers when most are still in shorts.  I’m fine into the 40’s but rarely ride when it’s in the 30’s but it’s rarely in the 30’s… I have a riding jacket & with a base layer, LS jersey, jacket & gloves & I’m good.  I also have a really thin wool cap I wear under my helmet when it’s cold. 

If you ever see my ride pics, in 100 degrees, I'm wearing a base layer. People think I 'm crazy but I don't usually get real hot. I think once last year, on a trail ride, 105 degrees average was hot. Max of 111.

When temps are down in the 50's I wear tights just because people say it's good to save your knees. Never had problems so I guess it helps.

The one thing that gets cold on me now is my scalp so I got one of those little Nike skull cap type things. Still plenty of hair but not sure why it gets cold. Maybe I lost some of the fat on my head ha ha ha!

5 minutes ago, Mr Beanz said:

If you ever see my ride pics, in 100 degrees, I'm wearing a base layer. People think I 'm crazy but I don't usually get real hot. I think once last year, on a trail ride, 105 degrees average was hot. Max of 111.

When temps are down in the 50's I wear tights just because people say it's good to save your knees. Never had problems so I guess it helps.

The one thing that gets cold on me now is my scalp so I got one of those little Nike skull cap type things. Still plenty of hair but not sure why it gets cold. Maybe I lost some of the fat on my head ha ha ha!

Everyone tolerates heat differently but yeah I’d be in short sleeves.  

This is the Vegas ride. It was 103 in the shade and was 97 when we finished.  That’s not me but the dude who took me on the ride. 
E3C2CE59-B83A-42BC-9BE1-CC4ABD7EB807.thumb.jpeg.146e5d12475572b9c9fb410bea3f7438.jpeg72F3081B-0C6C-49F8-96D7-1392D2D944C6.thumb.jpeg.142485ee0d4e7382eaeaceb95325a355.jpeg

• Heart 1

20 minutes ago, Mr Beanz said:

When it was just Gina and I, the temps inside would go from 63 to 88 before we ever turned on an appliance to cool or heat. Actually never to heat and a fan for above 88. We've had central heating and air for 30 years and rarely used it.

No with my Mom, Gina will be cooking at 77 and prepping side dishes, I'm outside grilling then come in and my Mom wants the heat on to 80. Poor Gina is sweating running around trying to put the meal together.

I tell my Mom she needs to get up and help so she warms up. If Gina is running her butt off trying to put dinner together, I don't think it's fair Mom turns up the heat when Gina is already sweating over the stove.

She's a California sissy too! I don't think she or my Dad turned the heat or AC off over a period of 20 years. Their electricity bill was $320 per month because of it. I could buy a pretty nice bike for that much.

I don’t know if this is a recent thing but as my mom aged she kept the house much warmer than when she was younger. She was always cold as she got into her late 70’s & 80’s.

Fortunately I wasn’t living with her but during visits it was freaking hot in the house…

• Heart 1

42 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Did your water bottles freeze?

I used to ride all year.  28F was my coldest ride.  I'd ride for about 1 hour.  Not long enough for the water bottle to freeze.  I gave that up a few years ago.

12 degrees yeah that could happen.

1 hour ago, Mr Beanz said:

Their electricity bill was $320 per month

Wow... that's a lot.  My electric bill was $920 for the entire year in 2020. 

• Heart 1

It was 43 last Saturday morning when I left the hotel I had on a wind vest, arm warmers, Lycra knee warmers, and glove liners. It dropped to 33 at one point in the canyons east of Solvang. By about 9am it was up to 60, and I took off the vest, arm and knee warmers, and glove liners before the first climb.  By noon it was in the mid 80s.

• Heart 1

I have ridden in the 100s before. AZ 100 is more comfortable than NE 100. 

Cold has more variables to deal with. In winter the fields have been harvested so rides in the country are VERY exposed to the elements. My lower limit on the roadie is the 30s IF the sun is shining. It helps offset the windchill. I will ride the MTB on gravel into the low 20s. One caveat is I will not ride on snow covered gravel above 28.  Sun can put a little wet sheen on hard packed snow and ice that will take you down before you realize it’s even there. Caused my only crash last winter. Even clear gravel roads can be a challenge. The roads get a soft texture like riding on marshmallows when temps get into the 30s. 

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, groupw said:

Sun can put a little wet sheen on hard packed snow and ice that will take you down before you realize it’s even there. 

A buddy and I used to ride up to Mt Baldy in Feb after the snow but still cold. On one ride, we hit the 4500 ft level and without being able to see it, I was on black ice. I was pedaling and my wheels slipping making it feel as if my crank had snapped. I stopped to see what was wrong. I placed my feet on the ground and started sliding sliding down the road. That was when I decided going up there was a no no. Good thing I experienced it on the way up. Hitting black ice on the descent would be killer. :facepalm:

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Well YOU do!  

I have to work outdoors for long periods of time in minus zero temps.  It’s hard. I can’t imagine -40 though.  Was that at Arrowhead

Minus zero outside in So Cal?

I had a merchandizing job years ago. I would have to go into the freezers at markets after midnight. It was -10 IIRC.  At first I had to wear long sleeve sweatshirt and a jacket. After a few months, I was wearing shorts and a sweat shirt. Kind of get used to it.

• Heart 1

13 hours ago, Mr Beanz said:

So viewing and reading some cold posts from some of my cycling friends and acquaintances, I've come to the conclusion that California riders are sissies. :lol:

OK, not all of them but too many! :nodhead: 

I forgot to add this. my fly bys on strava last night, all alone.:D

It is all relative.  I found it quite pleasant in CA relative to VA in February - literally the worst month of the year.

And Fly-bys are FUBAR since the "opt in" requirement.  And CA roadies seem to love to hide their rides :(  I always found I'd see a handful of fly bys, but 100+ roadies, and then, I could look at a specific climb/segment for the day, and it would have 100s of riders listed.  IOW, they're out, they're using Strava, but they're keeping the rides private.  Sort of like using FB just for your own viewing :scratchhead:  Not a bad use - for FB and a team not wanting to share data - but the opposite of the purpose of a social app like Strava.

7 hours ago, Mr Beanz said:

Minus zero outside in So Cal?

I had a merchandizing job years ago. I would have to go into the freezers at markets after midnight. It was -10 IIRC.  At first I had to wear long sleeve sweatshirt and a jacket. After a few months, I was wearing shorts and a sweat shirt. Kind of get used to it.

I type with my thumbs… Had, not have. Many years ago and no, not in SoCal. 

• Heart 1

I raced motorcycles in -5° temperatures and I raced in 100+ temperatures. It doesn't mean that I enjoyed racing in those temperatures but I really enjoy the races when the temperature is somewhere in between 50° and 85°

• Heart 1